What is a good substitute for salad ???

dianaclopez89
dianaclopez89 Posts: 23 Member
edited September 27 in Food and Nutrition
I have been on a diet for 2 weeks and i have only lost 2 lbs. I think its because i hate salad so i consume too many carbs.

Replies

• Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Try mixing your salad with some other things...ie: fresh strawberries, almonds, grilled chicken, etc. It helps you forget you are eating a salad. :wink:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    No one said just because your losing weight that you should be eating salads.........

I have my time of the year that I crave them and that time is now............fall and winter, you could not pay me to eat a salad.

Eat some nuts, string cheese or nut butter.............
  • denise980
    denise980 Posts: 296
    Maybe try putting it into a wrap or pita bread
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    I'm not a big lettuce fan, unless it's covered in bacon and ranch dressing, so I just eat tomatoes and cucumbers sliced up together. A big portion has very few calories.
  • clvdandj
    clvdandj Posts: 76
    you don't have to have a salad. But if your trying to get leafy greens into your meal, try making a smoothie or something with spinach or kale and blend with your favorite fruit and water! drink that with whatever meal your trying to incorporate your salad into!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    You don't have to eat salads. Some people don't like them. My suggestion would be to explore and try new things in a salad; different greens and lettuces, no just iceberg (yuch!) Different types of tomatoes, no tomatoes, raw onions, cooked onions, add nuts like sunflower seed, cashews, almond, pecans etc.... if you really don't like salads, don't eat them, but focus on getting good amounts of fruit and vegetables in your diet. One thing I found helpful was to make myself try a new food every so often. Expand your palette.
  • kristinmk
    kristinmk Posts: 6
    You don't like salad? There are so many ways to make it different, no need to eat lettuce, cheese, chicken and ranch everyday. :) One of the good things about salad is a filler and texture to your food. Add proteins... bacon, hard boiled eggs, ham, turkey, stake, taco meat..... endless options. Also Try other veggies... Kale, cucumbers, spinach, broccoli, zucchini.... the more color the better! There are so many different ways to make veggies, you don't have to eat them raw all the time, that would get OLD! Don't be afraid to get creative and mix things, make a mess! :) You might find you really like it! Cutting carbs is a great way to lose weight, You Can DO IT! :)
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    I have been on a diet for 2 weeks and i have only lost 2 lbs. I think its because i hate salad so i consume too many carbs.

A pound a week is pretty good! Not knowing how heavy you are and how much you need to lose, it's difficult to say if 2 lbs/week or more would be ideal.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    I like a veggie salad, whatever's fresh all mixed together, but not necessarily with lettuce. In the summer, I love tomatoes, cucumber, onions, and vinegar... with maybe a bit of feta cheese. So good.
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    nobody's mentioned the fact that you only have 10 lbs to lose, so losing 2 pounds in 2 weeks is really good. Don't expect that kind of weight loss every week, it's not going to happen with such a small amount to lose.

Plus you are setting yourself up for failure by calling it a "diet" - a diet is temporary, treat it like a healthy lifestyle change and it'll go better.
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Stir "steam" some veggies like broccoli, zucchini, peppers, onions, asparagus and then top with a little cheese or some stir fry sauce. I love Thai Peanut Sauce!

(Stir steam is just using a frying pan and you just keep adding small amount of water while you stir up the vegetables.)
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    I like a veggie salad, whatever's fresh all mixed together, but not necessarily with lettuce. In the summer, I love tomatoes, cucumber, onions, and vinegar... with maybe a bit of feta cheese. So good.

I LOVE FETA CHEESE in salads. Have you tried some of Panera's salads like Asian Sesame Chicken w/ Feta Cheese...OMG...it's delicious!
  • dianaclopez89
    dianaclopez89 Posts: 23 Member
    Thank you everyone for all your ideas & opinions !!!!! I appreciate it !!!!
  • shellyvm
    shellyvm Posts: 4
    Instead of salad, try homemade vegetable soup-especially when the weather is cooler. You control the amount of fat and you can never have too many fresh, wholesome veggies:)
This discussion has been closed.