Kids and calories

Options
tabi26
tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
I've recently gotten rid of most things in my hosue that are processed and in general unhealthy and in doing so my kids now don't get the extra calories from crap. I by NO MEANS have my kids on a diet. Just got rid of junk! I have found myself adding up what they eat though...in my own head, I never EVER mention it out loud, but I'm wondering if they eat enough?

My son is 6 years old and he eats anywhere from 400-500 calories per meal, three times a day and then 2-3 200-300 calorie snacks in a day. So he eats anywhere from 1600-2400 depending on the day.

And my litte guy doesn't really count he's 18 months old and eats all day long lol.

Just wondering if anyone knows if those amounts are ok for a 6 year old? He's not over weight and I have NO INTENTION of putting him on a diet I am JUST CURIOUS if that's enough for him?

Replies

• Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I found this online, I dont know how accurate it is, but it looks about right to me (if I had to guess)

Boys Ages 4 to 8 Years

Sedentary - 1,400 calories per day
    Moderately Active - 1,400 to 1,600 calories per day
    Active - 1,600 to 2,000 calories per day

Read more: How Many Calories Should a Child Consume Daily? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5483696_many-should-child-consume-daily.html#ixzz1MLXpykuY
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Well, I am 5'8" and to lose weight I eat 2200 calories a day. So I eat 2700 for maintenance. If he eats about 2000 it sounds about right. But kids in general are more active than us (I hope) well I doubt more than me but 2000 calories should be fine.
  • adfranks
    adfranks Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Google search for calories and kids. That will give you some good places to start thinking about how many calories they need... I would also talk to their dr.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    2000 calories is about right for preteens who are moderately active and are not overweight. It is the basic caloric intake.