Runner's Knee. I Has It.

Options
I have a classic case of runner's knee in my right knee. Pain at the top of the knee, made worse by stairs or sitting with it bent for a period of time.

What exercises can I do while it heals? Is biking safe? Walking? Can I still run with a brace on? I'm icing, taking anti-inflammatories, etc etc, but I really want to stay active during healing time.

PS - I don't swim. I have psoriasis and can't get near chlorine, so whatever anyone suggests has to be landlocked. :(

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    coolrunning.com (the site with C25K) has a medical section.....they may have an answer for you
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I have something different - Patellofemoral Syndrome.....(deep pain in the knee)

The Orthopedic surgeon and my PT limited me to spinning and swimming (which I also won't do).

Exercises....depend on the issue....I thought my issue was weak quads but after an assessment by the PT it is actually weak glutes (specifically my right glute).

What they always recommend - RICE - Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate....

I hope it feels better.....
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    not sure about that kind of knee pain, however yes cycling is good fo r the knee as its a controlled exercise and not loads of pounding like running..it should strengthen it...
    best to ask a doc tho
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    I'm a distance runner, I hate swimming in a pool, and biking makes my knees hurt worse, so I ice and use a brace. Mueller makes a great one that puts pressure around the edges of your knee cap that really helps with runner's knee.
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just had this very same thing a couple weeks ago. As much as I hated taking a break, it seemed to do the trick. I cut back on my running big time. But the thing the seemed to work the best was not running for 3 days. I don't have any pain now.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are two parts to the solution:

1. Decrease the inflammation

2. Address the muscle / biomechanical imbalance that is causing the problem.

If it is a mild case, you can sometimes work on #2 while gradually addressing #1. Google "patello femoral syndrome" and look it up on you tube as well and you should find plenty of exercises. Do them. You may be able to work on it without cutting out running entirely, but you also might not.

If you don't see any relief from doing the exercises and taking a little time off running, then you should seek some medical attention.

At this point, doing nothing or going to something like a brace would be counterproductive. Neither approach will address the underlying problem. Ultimately, it might be appropriate to use something like a brace, but that determination is way down the road.

In my experience, dealing with PFS is fairly straightforward for most people-- if you intervene early in the process and are adherent to a treatment plan.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I hasn't founded any cute kittehs wif hurtz nees yet, so I has a hug for you sted.

7f698162-a658-488c-8074-17b64b4249ed.jpg