What Foods to stay away from besides fast food

Options
2»

Replies

• paulhood
    paulhood Posts: 30
    Options
    My personal trainer told me that the best way to shop for food (in most grocery stores) is to shop only on the outside four walls and don't go down any isles. That means I shouldn't eat anything that comes in a box or a can (i.e. processed foods). So… Do I do this? Well, not all the time. If you read my food diary you can see that. But, I have been staying away from as much as I used to.

It isn't necessarily staying away from fat, or carbs, or protein, but balancing the three with your calorie allowance as pointed out by MFP. I know my ticker says only 2 pounds lost so it looks like I'm a newbie and I am to MFP, but not to dieting and success with dieting albeit very temporary.

My PT has me reducing the Carbs for the first couple of weeks and keeping the fat the same and increasing the protein to offset the difference in carbs for calories. But here's my best advice.

Improving your eating habits is a process and takes practice to [re]learn. Use MFP to guide you during your practice. If it takes you four weeks to "get it right" then it takes four weeks and so on. Don't kick yourself in the but while you are [re]learning how to do this. If you do great the first four weeks and blow it on Wednesday of the next week, just get back on Thursday and call Wednesday a bad day, not a failure. You did not fail unless you don't get back on when you realize you're off.

So many people, including myself many times, get down on themselves for "failing" and then just really blow it and figure it must be all over now. Then the decline begins again and before we know it we have gained it all back and then some usually.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There is good info here, though some info seems to contradict other info.

As others have said, I am focused on making a lifestyle change...but like many other lifestyle decisions in my life, I have found that subscribing to someone else's idea of how to make the change (even if that someone is a doctor with great credentials) doesn't work in the long run. Not sure why...perhaps because if I'm following a change that someone else has prescribed, I don't "own" it for myself.

So...this time around, along with a clear and deep determination to be successful, I am kind of "feeling my way" toward a permanent lifestyle change. Like others here, I don't say "I can't" have anything....I do, like others, use my daily calorie allotment as a decision making tool (I manage myself to stay at or under that number). So, for example, if I'm craving a quarter pounder with cheese, I look up the nutritional info and then ask myself if it will be worth spending that many calories in order to satisfy my craving. Usually the answer is no.

On a somewhat related note, something I've noticed as time progresses: I am naturally shedding certain foods, just in the process of using MFP. I would find it hard to give up alcohol, coffee, ice cream, mac and cheese, and other comfort foods if someone else was directing me to do so, or if I was "white knuckling" it (really wanting it but making myself not eat it). This time around, I haven't gotten down on myself for what I eat, and instead have focused on improving the quality of my food as much as possible. I do, however, often notice how I feel (physically/emotionally) after eating certain crave foods...and find that I don't like the feeling (lethargy, headache, disappointed, etc.)

So, long story short...my process is to allow myself to entertain eating any food that springs to mind, ask myself if the nutritional numbers will work for me, and if I eat something that seems "wrong," notice what's up with me afterward and if I like the feeling. Without much thinking about it, I've naturally stopped eating/drinking certain foods and started eating others (like veggies).

A bottom line thought to all this: You have asked a very good question and received excellent responses...but in the end, YOU are the one who has to decide what works for you...I suggest you sift through the info here, perhaps discuss with a qualified professional, and then set your way forward. You'll do great!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you want. I get irritated when people say "Stay away or avoid fruits" Ask any diabetic. The sugar in fruits is NOT the same as sugar thats refined.

Fruits do have lots of vitamins & minerals, but they also have a high glycemic index. And, in fact, your body treats fructose from fruit just like sucrose from table sugar. Table sugar has a GI of 92 while bananas have a GI of 89. That's virtually identical when it comes to the impact on your blood sugar.

One serving per day in combination with protein (like the egg) is fine, and it's best to eat fruit lower on the GI like apples, berries, or grapefruit.

I actually read an article where the author states that High GI carbs are better than low GI carbs for your post workout meal. High Gi converts to glucose easier helping to get the necessary nutrients to your muscles to aid in the rebuilding process.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The best answer I can give is that it all depends on your body type, goals, and workout habits. Like others have said, if you have a hard time with portion control on certain items, it is wise to cut them out if you can. Some people are insulin sensitive, and need less carbs, Some people need more. Find out what works for you, and what your triggers are, then follow that.

I used to drink a soda with every meal, and have a bag of chips with most meals. Those were two of the things that were easiest for me to cut out. I don't crave them, and to me, they aren't worth the calories to eat. I do struggle giving up other foods that I should give up, so I eat those rarely,(less than once a week) There are health benefits in all natural foods, so I wouldn't give any of these up.
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't stay away from any food I like completely. When I spent three hours hiking, I might come home and have a pizza. On days when I have to sit at my desk all day, I'm conscious of trying to eat lighter, healthier foods to balance out the inactivity.

Ignore what the fitness fanatics say about your body being a temple which you may never sully with Things That Taste Nice, you just have to be responsible and sensible about what you're eating.

As a whole, foods I like to have in my diet on a fairly regular basis are:

- tinned tomatoes for sauces;
    - courgettes and aubergines;
    - prawns;
    - typical stirfry vegetables;
    - eggs;
    - beans and pulses;
    - bulgar wheat and pearl barley.

Things I try not to have too much of on an average day/week:

- bacon :grumble:
    - fatty meats such as rind-on pork;
    - burgers;
    - refined flours;
    - white bread;
    - processed meats such as sausages;
    - cheese. :sad:

The biggest trick for me, is always cook from fresh or frozen but non-processed foods if you can. That way, you know exactly what you're eating.