Arrrgggghhh - reading the labels

Options
concordancia
concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
How many times do I have to learn the same lesson. Must. Read. Labels.

One of my motivations for healthy eating is that I have been having some unexplained health problems. They seem to be hormonal, so part of my dieting has involved avoiding soy. Not entirely, but not allowing it to be a part of my daily diet. And it isn't like I eat peanut butter everyday, but today I scooped up some of my Jif Reduced Fat Peanut Butter and noticed that one of the ingredients, highlighted so that those who are allergic notice, is SOY PROTEIN.

Yet another "why does this have to be so hard?" moment. And I was planning on having MorningStar sausage tomorrow :(

Replies

• sportyshorty86
    Options
    Thought this might help with your journey http://www.ehow.com/how_3966_live-with-allergy.html
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    soy causes hormone problems???
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Have you tried SunButter? It's soy and gluten free. I haven't tried it as I just learned about it yesterday but heard that it is super yummy.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

It can. A lot of research is finding that soy isn't as great as we thought it was. I can't have it because my body doesn't react well, and I don't digest it well.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

Soy is given as a supplement to menopausal women to reduce symptoms like hot flashes. There are a few studies that suggest that soy mimics estrogen, which can lead to an imbalance.

Sporty, thank you. The problem with this self made diet is I don't know what the limits are. Does lecithin cause issues? Maybe I should treat it as if it were an allergy and avoid soy altogether. I have just been looking for an excuse to keep my favorite protein bar, which is not based on soy protein, but does use soy lecithin.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I love Jif Reduced Fat pb but I read the label and saw hydrogenated oil which means trans fats, even it it says it has 0 trans fats per serving it can still have trans fats cause the gov allows anything less than like .5 g per serving to say 0. Had to give it up for "natural" pb
  • theladebug
    theladebug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free and often have the same problem. There is hidden gluten everywhere! I glutened myself the other day with some imitation vanilla extract (it had caramel color in it, which often contains gluten).

So frustrating! I feel your pain!
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I read a couple of articles over a year ago (sorry, can't remember where) that soy has natural hormones in it. they suggested that it may have something to do with the rising percentages of infertility. i stopped eating soy for that reason, cuz me and my hubs are having fertility issues. one study showed that a lot of baby boys were born with undescended testicles cuz their mothers had consumed a lot of soy during pregnancy.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I usually get the peanut butter that comes out of the grinder machines at health food stores. It's pretty good, and you know it's *just* peanuts in it.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

Soy is given as a supplement to menopausal women to reduce symptoms like hot flashes. There are a few studies that suggest that soy mimics estrogen, which can lead to an imbalance.

Sporty, thank you. The problem with this self made diet is I don't know what the limits are. Does lecithin cause issues? Maybe I should treat it as if it were an allergy and avoid soy altogether. I have just been looking for an excuse to keep my favorite protein bar, which is not based on soy protein, but does use soy lecithin.

You might want to look into a more "raw" diet in general. My boyfriend is allergic to corn syrup. This means, every single time I pick up anything except raw food, I have to look at the table to make sure Im not going to be calling an ambulance by the end of a meal. We have battled this by trying to get as "raw" or "natural" as possible, without losing out on fun things in life (like going to festivals, etc).

I have major hormonal issues (I have Endometriosis) and I have found that the more raw fruits, veggies, and nuts I have in my system, the more stable my body has been. Im not perfect (not even a little bit perfect), but I do attempt making the effort.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything reduced fa/ fat free/sugar free, It makes it a bit easier when shopping. I check the labels and make sure I understand everything in it. I tend to have a slight peanut sensitivity so I buy almond butter. the ingredients are almonds. I stay away from refined soy products, but I will eat edamame. often the payoff for reduced fa/ fat free/sugar free is often either increased sodium, sugar or chemicals. I'd rather eat the real thing and monitor the amount I eat.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I usually get the peanut butter that comes out of the grinder machines at health food stores. It's pretty good, and you know it's *just* peanuts in it.
    Both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's PB have brands that are simply peanuts and you get the option of with or without salt.