Walking with weights

Options
My exercise routine is to walk on a treadmil for an hour with incline, I also carry 5-10 lb dumbells for that hour and swing them around... I do curls, shoulder presses, triceps etc...

My question is how do you recommend I log this exercise...

I usually log the number of Cals burnt that the treadmill tells me I burnt (prob not that acurate..oh well) , I know the treadmill does not know I am swinging 20 lb dumbells around too... So any recommendations on how to log the extra?

Thanks

Replies

• puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    You should get a heart rate monitor so you can know exactly how many calories you are burning. When you log it you can just log the treadmill workout and put in the exact calories you burned.
    Also be careful when using weights while walking because i heard it can cause damage . I'm not 100 percent sure what kid though lol but if you google it you can find out why.. Great job working out!
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,275 Member
    Options
    Maybe log as general circuit training so you get credit for the calories used in strength training with the weights. If you have a Hear Rate Monitor with a chest strap you could track the calories you actually burn and put the exercise into your personal exercise data base and label it what you want. Not sure what the best way to do it is....
  • wildman51
    wildman51 Posts: 12
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother logging the extra... I walk with weights too and I only count what the treadmill says. Find that forces me to stick to a stricter diet to maintain my calorie goal. Keep up the great work!
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies... I like your rec wildman! I think that is what I will do!

As far as injury from walking with weights..... There is no way I could be doing any more damage to my body than what I was doing caring around an extra 100+ lbs of FAT.....