Permanent Plateau?

bsolada
bsolada Posts: 23 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I am looking for some advice concerning a plateau, and whether or not a plateau can become permanent. I set my goal at about 18 pounds weight loss. I did this knowing that my goal might not be maintainable for me, but I wanted to try anyway. I have been pretty much stuck at 123 (or 125 depending on the scale), for a little over two weeks now. I realize that this period of time is normal to plateau, but I'm wondering, can it be that my body just wants to stay at this weight? I ask this because my goal was 118, but it seems the only times my body really gets much below 125 is when I've been sick, or not eating enough.

Basically, how do you know if you've just hit a plateau, or that your body has reached its limit? I am getting frustrating not losing any more weight, but sticking pretty true to my calories, and zig zagging. Has my body decided that it's comfortable here, or is it possible for me to keep losing once I get over this plateau? I hope this question makes sense, just having trouble figuring out whether I should continue trying to lose, or start working on maintaining. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Can't see your diary so don't know for sure, but the problem could be that you're not eating ENOUGH.
    When you are THAT close to your goal weight, you need to eat VERY close to maintenance to lose the last few.

If you are at 1200 a day goal, then I can guarantee you this is the case.
    I had to raise it to 1500 to lose more, then to 1600 to lose the last few, then to 1800-2000 to maintain.

As you raise it, your body will lose more, so start slowly getting closer to maintenance NOW, so your body gets used to it, and you will drop the rest in the process.
    Add an extra hundred to your goal, and REACH it, then after a week, add ANOTHER hundred, and so on till you get to goal and even out.
  • You can break it by having an apple day, start eating apples just before lunch time, and end the following day at lunch time. Eat about 6 apples in that span, only drink enough water to quench your thirst. Trust me, it works!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    You can break it by having an apple day, start eating apples just before lunch time, and end the following day at lunch time. Eat about 6 apples in that span, only drink enough water to quench your thirst. Trust me, it works!

wait, are you serious?:noway:
    This has got to be some sort of joke, right?
  • No, I'm Serious, I'm on the HCG Diet and that's what it says in my book...
  • hockeyman28
    hockeyman28 Posts: 136
    So this "apple day" is a plateau-breaker?
  • tsomo
    tsomo Posts: 44
    Of course it works. But I can tell you the result you get is NOT maintainable once you go back to normal dieting. I tried it before. Trust me, never push yourself to this extreme.
  • gabbygirl37_2001
    gabbygirl37_2001 Posts: 93 Member
    what about exercising more?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I think it takes a whole lot longer than 2 weeks to determine if your body is at a permanent plateau. Plus, I don't think it's possible. If you started starving yourself, yes, indeed, you would continue to lose weight. But that's not healthy. You already know your original goal would be difficult to achieve, let alone maintain. I'd give it a serious 6 weeks before you start thinking you're stuck.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    I have been at a plateau for about six weeks. I have lost 15 pounds and still have 15 to go. I upped my calories a few weeks ago with no results. I even went on vacation for a week and stopped counting calories (I had no internet access). I came home, weighed myself, and haven't lost or gained a pound! I am beginning to think there is nothing to do but wait it out. It is very frustrating.
This discussion has been closed.