The in-laws are coming!!!HELP!!

Options
Not that my in-laws are inherently evil (well...mostly not), but they will be coming into town for lunch tomorrow. Which means eating out. Which means somewhere with awful choices. Which means I may fail. Which means starting the week the wrong way! ACK! I have no idea and no way to request certain places. I could really use some advice about what to order, how to order it etc. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    ask them to choose in advance so that you can look up the menu online. That way you can see the calories in each item before going to eat. Another idea is when you get there ask for a box with your food. pack up half of the food right away to take home to eat another time. WAY less calories and still getting to order something yummy.
  • Solomonre0
    Solomonre0 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Here are a few things you can do...

Get a specialty salad, they're yummy and delicious.
    Decide what you're going to get before you go and don't even LOOK at the menu to allow you to change your mind. Too many options= too many bad decisions.
    Choose a lite option if they have it. I know, I know, you're inner child is going to whine about how they want the cheese or the bacon or this or that. But honestly you won't know the difference and you'll be saving yourself a TON of calories.
    Ask for a box with your meal and put half of it away. It sounds weird but hey, out of sight out of mind. I know whenever I see food on my plate I want to eat it all! So by putting half of it away before you even start eating your setting yourself up to WIN!
    Talk to your spouse before you go (or children if you have them) and get someone to split a meal with you. Once again out of sight out of mind.

Trust yourself. You have a good head on your shoulders. You know what to do. So do it.
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    ask them to choose in advance so that you can look up the menu online. That way you can see the calories in each item before going to eat. Another idea is when you get there ask for a box with your food. pack up half of the food right away to take home to eat another time. WAY less calories and still getting to order something yummy.

i do this ALL the time and it really works!!!
  • beckusjane
    beckusjane Posts: 112
    Options
    I always try to find out what restaurant we are going to and then look up a few things from their menu and have my decision already made. I have learned the hard way though that plans can change and ive begun checking out several restaurants to find ideal menu choices. You never know when a restaurant will be overcrowded for lunch and your inlaws may choose to go to a different place.

Honesty works wonders also. All of my friends know I am serious about losing weight this time and they are willing to forego even having chips brought to the table at Hacienda:)

Good luck!
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    1. Make sure you have a light snack some time before go out to eat so you're not famished when you're looking at a menu.
    2. Avoid the bread or rolls....drink lots of water while you wait for your food.
    3. Eat small portions...savor the flavors and enjoy your meal slowly.
    4. Know that you can work out to burn off those extra calories either early in the day or in the evening. You can even work out extra the next day. The key is staying active to offset those calories.
    5. ENJOY! This is a lifestyle change and it's okay to eat out every once in awhile. Just be okay with logging your food afterwards. It will help you stay on track!
    :smile:
  • kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    Great advice from everyone

Two things to ad.

One your in - laws are probably not in town a lot so if you do over eat a little don't worry.

Two this is lunch you can always make a very small supper to compensate. Instead of your normal just make a good salad or veggies.