Is it ok to drink protein shakes if you don't work out?

Options
Cella30
Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
I like it because it really curbs my hunger, but I don't always get a workout in. Is it ok to drink this on the reg even though I may not work out?

Here's what I take:
73419377.jpg

Replies

• LindseyAlyssa
    LindseyAlyssa Posts: 156
    Options
    I think its okay as long as you don't get too much protein.
    It has nutritional value, but you just need to balance it into your diet.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    My guess: YES. :smile:

I've been drinking a scoop with milk every couple days for the last 5 months. Now I also drink pre-mixed Myoplex shakes. I haven't worked out really hard in almost a month now, and when I first started in December, I didn't work out at all.

This just gives you protein, which in turn curbs your hunger, and also helps your body with necessary processes like muscle rebuilding (even if you don't work out, they are constantly in use).
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    yes
  • sarah44254
    Options
    I think its okay as long as you don't get too much protein.
    It has nutritional value, but you just need to balance it into your diet.

Just wanted to mention, to know how much protein you need take your body weight in grams and consume equal or less than that amount daily. I weigh around 150, so as long as I don't have more than 150g of protein a day I am good. I usually get between 50-90g a day.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    NO its highly illeagal!!!!!!! The cops are coming for you !!!!!!!

seriously though why the hell not???? as long as you are not going over in cals... all protien is good

I am planning on adding more in, to get enough protein i dont always
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, no workout for me today and I just had a protein shake for dinner.
  • Cella30
    Cella30 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

seriously though why the hell not???? as long as you are not going over in cals... all protien is good

lol Wouldn't be the first time. :wink:

I think I heard somewhere that too much protein is hard on your liver or kidneys... I'm gonna need those to help with the booze so I don't want my protein shakes to screw them all up. :tongue:
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention, to know how much protein you need take your body weight in grams and consume equal or less than that amount daily. I weigh around 150, so as long as I don't have more than 150g of protein a day I am good. I usually get between 50-90g a day.

I've always been told that the range is 0.8 times your bodyweight in kilograms up to half your weight in pounds.
  • Barelmy
    Options

I think I heard somewhere that too much protein is hard on your liver or kidneys... I'm gonna need those to help with the booze so I don't want my protein shakes to screw them all up. :tongue:

It's too much protein that gives you kidney stones. Water helps.
  • sarah44254
    Options

I've always been told that the range is 0.8 times your bodyweight in kilograms up to half your weight in pounds.

I just did a quick internet search and found both what you mentioned, as well as what I mentioned earlier. Confusing! It seems what you mentioned (0.8 * kg weight) is an older recommendation and has recently been tweaked to (0.8 * lb weight).

This confuses me quite so, I don't want to be eating too much protein and making my body upset.
  • Barelmy
    Options

I just did a quick internet search and found both what you mentioned, as well as what I mentioned earlier. Confusing! It seems what you mentioned (0.8 * kg weight) is an older recommendation and has recently been tweaked to (0.8 * lb weight).

This confuses me quite so, I don't want to be eating too much protein and making my body upset.

I am definitely biased here, but one thing I've noticed is that omnivores, who often eat far too much protein by the RDA, will tend to say that the RDA doesn't allow for enough protein, and it's fine to go over. Vegans and vegetarians, on the other hand, take a lower estimate. Perhaps the revision in the RDA stems from the same kind of thing; it's reflecting what people are eating on the standard American diet, not what they should be eating.

I'm going to stick with the calculation I mentioned, which, for me, gives 43-63g. The human body tends to offer some leeway, anyway.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its fine as long as you arent getting too much protein.

the American heart assocation and world health org suggest around 40-60 grams of protein a day.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going to start trying to incorporate more protein shakes into my diet. I am aiming for about half my body weight in grams, which comes out to be just over 100g a day. It really helps my hunger.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Per my nutrition classes (I just completed all the classes for my nutrition minor), it is still 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight. The per pound recommendation are random people online getting it confused and making it seem like the new recommendation, but in actuality the agencies that make these recommendations haven't changed their position.

The top end of the recommended range is 2 grams per kilogram of body weight. Since 1 pound = 2.2 kilograms, 1 gram per pound is at the top end of the recommended range. The top end is for advanced athletes (body builders, marathon runners, etc.) or people with certain diseases or injuries who need the extra protein for muscle repair and growth.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

If you have underlying issues with the liver or kidneys, then yes, too much protein will make them worse. If you have kidney stones or high blood pressure, you have underlying kidney issues. So, unless you have a need for more protein (to fuel workouts, because of a disease that causes wasting, injuries, etc.), then I'd stick to the recommended 0.8-1.0 grams per kilogram of body weight per day. But there is no reason your 0.8 grams per kilo can't come from protein shakes if that is how you enjoy getting it.
  • I think you have to work out to.. I lost a lot of weight before on protein shakes . I keep coming back to the same ans everytime failure is abroad so im positive that this is the answer for me.. the way to go.. is 2 shakes one meal and 3 small healthy snacks :heart:
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Uh oh, the brotrisionists are out.

Forget what you "heard". You couldn't stomach the amount of daily protein that would cause harm AND sustain that.

Google "protein kidney myth "
  • fuzz_pawz
    fuzz_pawz Posts: 106
    Options
    I don't work out everyday, sometimes I have too many things to do. I still have a protein shake every morning...it's my breakfast for my busy morning. I'm not dead yet and I've been doing it for 5 months at least :P
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Sure. I find it makes a great breakfast.

It is almost impossible to ingest too much protein.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat a gram per lean body mass. Basically about 110 grams for me. This all depends on your weight and body fat percentage. It ends up being about 30% of my diet. I work out and lift, however.