After you drink a soda - Must read article if you drink soda

Options
Eve23
Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
What Happens To Your Body Within An Hour Of Drinking A Coke
This post has been viewed 13,715 times since October 24th, 2007
posted in Children's Health, Food Science Research

Don’t drink cola if you want to be healthy. Consuming soft drinks is bad for so many reasons that science cannot even state all the consequences. But one thing we know for sure is that drinking Coke, as a representative of soft drinks, wreaks havoc on the human organism. What happens? Writer Wade Meredith has shown the quick progression of Coke’s assault.

The main problem is sugar. It’s an evil that the processed food industry and sugar growers don’t want people to know about. Even dietitians, financially supported by sugar growers and sugary product manufacturers, are loathe to tell us the truth.

When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
>60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
>60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
>60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
So there you have it, an avalanche of destruction in a single can. Imagine drinking this day after day, week after week. Stick to water, real juice from fresh squeezed fruit, and tea without sweetener.
Primary Source: by Wade Meredith

Replies

• Eve23
    Options
    What Happens To Your Body Within An Hour Of Drinking A Coke
    This post has been viewed 13,715 times since October 24th, 2007
    posted in Children's Health, Food Science Research

Don’t drink cola if you want to be healthy. Consuming soft drinks is bad for so many reasons that science cannot even state all the consequences. But one thing we know for sure is that drinking Coke, as a representative of soft drinks, wreaks havoc on the human organism. What happens? Writer Wade Meredith has shown the quick progression of Coke’s assault.

The main problem is sugar. It’s an evil that the processed food industry and sugar growers don’t want people to know about. Even dietitians, financially supported by sugar growers and sugary product manufacturers, are loathe to tell us the truth.

When somebody drinks a Coke watch what happens…

In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
    20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
    40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
    45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
    >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
    >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
    >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.
    So there you have it, an avalanche of destruction in a single can. Imagine drinking this day after day, week after week. Stick to water, real juice from fresh squeezed fruit, and tea without sweetener.
    Primary Source: by Wade Meredith
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I sooo needed this.
    I hadn't had soda for so long....I've had one monster soda the last 3 days (2 of them were diet....but we won't even go into the damage those do).
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see the science that supports this and argues against it. It does seem to be a *little* biased against cola, but has some very valuable points.
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Be grateful you didn't know me just over a year ago when I went from drinking the equivelant of 2 liters of diet pop a day to going cold turkey off all carbonated water AND anything with aspertame at the same time :explode: :sad: :embarassed: :devil: For the doubters that say carbonated water and aspertame are not addictive substances and stopping the use of them won't cause withdrawal symtoms.......let's just say that in my 30+ years of being a counselor, I dealt with quite a few folks with addiction issues and until then, I honestly couldn't empathize........but boy, can I ever now! About a month after, I ate some carb-watch ice cream at Braums and did my body EVER let me know what it thought about the re-introduction of 'sweet poison' :cry: Been carbonated water and aspertame free for a year and a month now and have become rather out-spoken about that awful stuff.
  • laine23
    Options
    I dont' get it (I'm new to this). What is wrong with diet sodas?
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    Diet soda uses a "fake sugar" (aspartame) basically, not to mention all the other fun stuff that goes into soda.

There is tons of research going on about the affect of soda vs diet soda on the body, especially the brain related to weight loss.

I am gonna try harder to go off it again....I feel better when off it, but I had a killer sinus infection this last week.

Totally correct me wrong you guys if I said something wrong.....
  • Eve23
    Options
    Be grateful you didn't know me just over a year ago when I went from drinking the equivelant of 2 liters of diet pop a day to going cold turkey off all carbonated water AND anything with aspertame at the same time :explode: :sad: :embarassed: :devil: For the doubters that say carbonated water and aspertame are not addictive substances and stopping the use of them won't cause withdrawal symtoms.......let's just say that in my 30+ years of being a counselor, I dealt with quite a few folks with addiction issues and until then, I honestly couldn't empathize........but boy, can I ever now! About a month after, I ate some carb-watch ice cream at Braums and did my body EVER let me know what it thought about the re-introduction of 'sweet poison' :cry: Been carbonated water and aspertame free for a year and a month now and have become rather out-spoken about that awful stuff.

Believe me you are not the only one. My husband nearly died of aspartame toxicity. And for those who don't believe I apologise but it can happen and they are addictive. Our family advocates aspartame free also. I rarely drink anything carbonated although once in awhile I do enjoy a creme soda or root beer.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Options
    The fun part is.....it's in more then just soda.
    I mean my hot chocolate has it.
    It's right up there with high fructose syrup these days.
  • Eve23
    Options
    That is true. I make my own cocoa anymore and its just as tasty.:tongue::love:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It is heavily biased, although based in fact. Anything that contains caffeine will cause that reaction, so chocolate, coffee, and tea could all be on that list as well, but there's no stigma attached to those. Add a donut to that coffee, and you've a comparable spike in blood sugar. Try to quit coffee, and it's just as bad as soda, because they both contain high amounts of caffeine. Any thing we eat or drink in excess will cause problems. Green leafy veggies? Too many of those means too much vitamin K, which can interfere with blood clotting. Whole grains? Too much niacin will cause vasodilation and flushing. Fish? Too much of any protein can leech calcium from the bones. Too much water? Excessive urination will cause a loss of electrolytes (sodium and potassium). If you're drinking two litres a day, it's not the soda causing the problem, it's the amount you're consuming, just like if you ate 3 lbs of broccoli a day, you'd have an overdose of vitamin K. It's about practicing moderation, not trying to point to certain foods and blaming them for our health problems.
  • pinktoque
    pinktoque Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It is heavily biased, although based in fact. Anything that contains caffeine will cause that reaction, so chocolate, coffee, and tea could all be on that list as well, but there's no stigma attached to those. Add a donut to that coffee, and you've a comparable spike in blood sugar. Try to quit coffee, and it's just as bad as soda, because they both contain high amounts of caffeine. Any thing we eat or drink in excess will cause problems. Green leafy veggies? Too many of those means too much vitamin K, which can interfere with blood clotting. Whole grains? Too much niacin will cause vasodilation and flushing. Fish? Too much of any protein can leech calcium from the bones. Too much water? Excessive urination will cause a loss of electrolytes (sodium and potassium). If you're drinking two litres a day, it's not the soda causing the problem, it's the amount you're consuming, just like if you ate 3 lbs of broccoli a day, you'd have an overdose of vitamin K. It's about practicing moderation, not trying to point to certain foods and blaming them for our health problems.

100% agree. It's all about moderation. Too much of ANYTHING is a bad thing.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Have a Coke and a smile, huh? I don't think so.:noway:
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    I'd love to see the science that supports this and argues against it. It does seem to be a *little* biased against cola, but has some very valuable points.

Let me start by saying I agree wholeheartedly that soda, coke, pop, whatever you call it, is unhealthy. I
    don't drink it, don't like it, don't have it in my house, don't let me kids drink it. I am practically anti-soda.

I believe Eve23 is looking out for us by posting this,and is getting a lot of us thinking. (Thanks Eve23:flowerforyou: )

That said, this essay has a lot to say but no citations to back it up. (Where did that pet peeve post go? Statements that are "fact" with no citations to let other readers check on the "facts" are my pet peeve.)

There are a number of points in this essay by Wade Meredith that don't seem accurate to me. I nearly *always* go to original sources and make up my own mind. But I can't check his sources as they are not listed. I want to know who funded the studies, who performed the studies, the amount of peer review that the studies were subjected to, the relative reputation of the journals in which they were published. Nothing. That leads me to think that perhaps the research behind this essay might be a little lax.

So I googled the essay. It is all over the internet, but no sources.

So I googled Wade Meredith. What sort of expert is he? What is his background? Medical doctor? Nutritionist? Dietitian? Biologist? Chemist?

This is his reply as to his background that I found at this link.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/56466/wade_meredith_of_the_toprated_blog.html?page=3&cat=62
    8) What is your background? Educationally? Work wise?

I've attended 3 colleges and studied in the areas of Automotive Technology, Video Production, Sound Design and Communications. (I have no degree) I've managed restaurants, been a cameraman for a live television show (Good Morning Four States), and managed the parts department at an independently owned auto shop.
    I'm currently in 2 different professional improvisational comedy troupes. Amongst other things, I’ve worked in construction (administrative stuff, no labor). I've done landscaping. I've been a counselor at a summer camp for gifted kids. I currently have an 8-5 desk job.

So, based on what I've found in 10 minutes on the internet I'd say to take the essay with a grain of salt as it does not seem entirely correct based on my background knowledge.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options

My dopamine production is much faster. I get pleasure with the first sip!
  • Vans
    Vans Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    :grumble: :grumble: I drink minimum 3 litres of water a day......
    whereas my partner drinks NONE......all he drinks all day is cola.....I have tried time and time again to explain to him what he is doing to his insides but does not care regardless.......actually as I write this he is watching television drinking a pepsi!

I read the artile out loud.....still no reaction.......I dont think He'll ever get it.......until something serious happens to him. Yet he is 22 yrs old, so even is he got a full physical I bet the Dr. would not tell him to stop drinking the DARN STUFF its eeewwwwwwy:noway: :noway:
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Thank you Eve for giving us something to think about. I gave up smoking over 30 years ago, but I can't completely give up Coke - it is the only thing that really quenches my thirst. On my doctor's advice years ago, I did cut back to one or two a week. Recently, I have seen articles (no back-up though) that the phosphates (I think that was it) in ALL soda, including diet sodas, are bad for the bones. I didn't quite understand how or why until I read your posting Eve.
    Despite the lack of info on studies, etc, I am inclined to believe there is a relationship to calcium. Two years ago, a bone density test revealed I had osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis). While I am Caucasion, small-boned and have a mother with osteoporosis (but not until she was in her 70s!), these risk factors should not have made my bone density this bad before menopause. Reading your post reminds me to try to avoid or at least limit soda consumption. Thanks for the reminder!
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    Zaza - Here you go. These look like sites which do their research, and will give you a more accurate picture of how phosphorous and calcium may interact, particularly relating to bone health. One site still don't have the citation journals listed, but is well written, and by naming the researchers and universities at least the sources could be found through journal database searches.

I hope you and your doctor are able to control your osteopenia. I need to get a baseline done...my long-lived great grandmother had osteoporosis, and my grandmother might have it. I'll check with my mother. Thank you for a timely reminder.:flowerforyou:

http://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/features/soda-osteoporosis

here is an article on phosphorous
    http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/phosphorus-000319.htm

and two articles on both calcium and phosphorus relative to bone health ~ both appear to be necessary:wink: I am not familiar with the reputation of the final source.
    http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/inside.asp?AID=650&UID=

http://www.socal.com/artman/publish/article_360.shtml
  • marskids
    marskids Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    All I can say is ...I'm sure glad i drink Pepsi and not Coke!!!:laugh:
  • Eve23
    Options
    Thank you Eve for giving us something to think about. I gave up smoking over 30 years ago, but I can't completely give up Coke - it is the only thing that really quenches my thirst. On my doctor's advice years ago, I did cut back to one or two a week. Recently, I have seen articles (no back-up though) that the phosphates (I think that was it) in ALL soda, including diet sodas, are bad for the bones. I didn't quite understand how or why until I read your posting Eve.
    Despite the lack of info on studies, etc, I am inclined to believe there is a relationship to calcium. Two years ago, a bone density test revealed I had osteopenia (precursor to osteoporosis). While I am Caucasion, small-boned and have a mother with osteoporosis (but not until she was in her 70s!), these risk factors should not have made my bone density this bad before menopause. Reading your post reminds me to try to avoid or at least limit soda consumption. Thanks for the reminder!

Your welcome ZaZa. Regardless of the scepticism we hear here or anywhere else pertaining to the soda or even other products that are available out there. It is very logical and makes since to me. So I am glad it helped you.

Food has a very real impact on our health and it is reasonable to believe the chemicals we put in also have an affect on us.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I, too, am trying to get my DH to cut back on his consumption of Diet soda. He consumes upwards of 6-8 a day (varies between 12oz can and 32 oz fountain - so hard to get a good figure of how much he is actually consuming). My reasoning is dehydration. I think he lacks energy due to constantly being underhydrated. so he will drink several bottles of water a day to offset some, but I dont think its enough.

problem is - read this article...he found this and throws it back at me.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Thoughts?