do you really log everything?

Options
Do you really log everything like everything thing you put in your mouth and what you do? I walk all the time I live on a pretty big campus but I usually don't log the 5 to 10 minute walks that I do multiple times a day on campus. I also work as a swim instructor and I'm in a pool swimming around with kids all I don't log that because I don't know how too. Should I be logging these things or is it okay not too? Do you also log everything you eat sometimes I have a few bites of something and I feel silly logging it. What do you guys do?

Replies

• pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Every bite, meal, and snack. I also log any walking or any other form of movement. Take the credit - you deserve it.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise unless it's purposeful and sweat-inducing. I log everything I eat.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat (you can see the 0.000234c .....servings in my diary) I don't always log activity unless its really "exercise"
  • grasp
    grasp Posts: 31
    Options
    I do not log diet coke...
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I log every bite of food, but i only log my workouts... I consider everything else my daily routine.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i dont log it unless i am going out to excercise like if go and walk aimlessly for an hour id log that but walking around campus no...... atleast i dont for my college and i know i walk atleast 4miles during the day around campus but i dont log it thats just me walking
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I log it all. I didn't log a shot of tequila once and it's haunted me ever since. :laugh:

If I take two or three bites of someone else's dish, I estimate calories and do a quick add.
  • FoodiePatootie
    Options
    I log everything - because it keeps you mindful. Today I took a 90-minute cooking class, I logged it in exercise. It's there! I also log everything that I ate, even if it was a taste of something...say, 1/4 of a homemade pork sausage, one homemade ravioli, olive oil, because it's important to know that it all adds up. The one day I didn't log everything, I went back and realized that I had gone over my calories unintentionally...so then I went ahead and did more exercise to counterbalance it (which I also logged). See the pattern? The logging is more about the education and awareness it brings. It counts for every walk you take (count the minutes), swimming time (count the minutes), it all adds up.

Then if there is a day you really want to eat a bit more, you know how many more calories you need to burn to stay on track. All those little things add up, whether it's a bite of something or a walk across a parking lot or campus.

I've lost 40 pounds since January logging everything, every day!

Keep up the good work and good luck.
  • Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i log in my actual workout. I do not log in the other times i walked or cleaned ect.

I count how many calories it is that i ate and i log in the calories.
  • miriamtorason
    miriamtorason Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I log everything. I've listed myself as "moderately active" as a SAHM to a 2.5yo boy, so anything I do that's outside that realm (I don't count chasing after him, or cleaning up after him or following him 'round the yard or anything) like walking to the store or purposefully exercising gets put into the diary. If you've listed yourself as sedentary, ABSOLUTELY log those walks. If you've listed yourself taking those walks into account, then don't. ^_^
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Food wise I log just about everything but not gum or crystal light (too many varieties to search through and only log 10 cals).

Exercise wise I log anything significant, actual planned exercise, high intensity cleaning, etc, but don't log walking around a store or getting to my car when I park further away.

I figure that these things generally even each other out.

If you put your activity level as moderately active, it should cover you in your BMR.

Good Luck!!!!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Do you really log everything like everything thing you put in your mouth and what you do? I walk all the time I live on a pretty big campus but I usually don't log the 5 to 10 minute walks that I do multiple times a day on campus. I also work as a swim instructor and I'm in a pool swimming around with kids all I don't log that because I don't know how too. Should I be logging these things or is it okay not too? Do you also log everything you eat sometimes I have a few bites of something and I feel silly logging it. What do you guys do?

I log everything that has calories, yes.

When you signed up for MFP, you had to choose an "Activity Level", which is meant to represent your normal, M-F workday activity. Any activity above and beyond that should be logged. So you'd have to decide whether to put yourself at sedentary and then log everything, or lighty active and then log above that.
  • CSM01
    CSM01 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I log as much as I can. I try to log things vaguely if I can't find the exact thing, but I try to be as accurate as I can. Maybe I forget a few things, but I do what I can.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Nope I don't log all my food, I do log all my exercise but not the everyday stuff like walking around walmart or walking at my job.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING I consume and any actual exercise I do, and have been successful doing so.
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I log every bite of food, but i only log my workouts... I consider everything else my daily routine.

Exactly...me too
  • kmb2522
    kmb2522 Posts: 48
    Options
    i put moderately active because I walk everywhere but in class I sit a lot so I figured that would be a balance. I guess I just don't know how to long a bite of this or feel silly logging a 3 minute walk
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I log everything I eat and all my exercise. If you walk to and from classes, and your work is fairly active, that should be considered part of your daily activity and should be built into your calorie allowance based on your day. I have a sedentary job, anf spend most of my day at a desk.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I don't log regular daily activities as you put that in at the beginning as to how active you are. I just log exercise tapes, etc.