Goal Setting Body Fat and BMI

Options
I am new to MFP and just started a fitness challenge at my gym. I am trying to set goals that are good and attainable. When I started the challenge, they took weight, measurement, and body fat percentages. My starting weight is 224.5 and 37.9% body fat. I am 5'7". I think this means that I have about 85lbs of fat on my body. I know I have a while to go before this really matters, but I am a person that likes to focus on goals and I want to make sure that mine are realistic.

I may be getting a head of myself with this and my first goal is to get back under 200lbs. After that, I am not really sure what is would be a realistic goal. Looking at BMI charts, at my height, I need to be at 150lbs to be in the healthy range. This seems a little daunting since it seems that about 139lbs of my body is stuff other than fat. I also know that the 120lb number that has been in my head since I was a tween is not really appropriate either.

How do other people figure out what their goals should be?

Replies

• HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Don't go by BMI, go by body fat percentage. I'm only using BMI because it seems to correspond well with my body fat %/other goals.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on reaching your goal today! I bet that feels GREAT! (Edit: sorry this was meant for Haley).

OP - I don't have any great advice or tips about setting long term goals. My long term goal scares me. So I just look at what I need to do today. Not helpful, I know. Good luck!
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS on reaching your goal today! I bet that feels GREAT! (Edit: sorry this was meant for Haley).

Thanks! :)