Bring Downs??

Options
OK, if you are really honest with your self, you can relate!!!

Are you friends with, keep company with or worse, your family members, DOWNERS??

I have started to learn how to walk away from it.

Work people? OMG, they are so bad. They see you eating healthy for lunch and they sit with you on purpose eating a big mac, or something and just rub in the fact that they just really don't care you are dieting.
OK, get up and move......

Friends that are way, way, smaller then you? The famous quote, "Oh, I am so fat". OK, laugh and say, "your right"!!!!

Family?? Oh eat, you need your strength. Eat, you can diet tomorrow. Oh, one piece won't hurt you.
Family on the other side? You announce, yahoo, I've lost 10 lbs, their reply, well that's great, but you still have a ways to go. Or, they just voluntarily tell you, you have such a pretty face, you just need to loose some weight.

Ah yes, what to do, what to do.

I have actually started walking away and for me not to comment??? OMG, I am a red head with a leo personality and german and indian blood........

Point?? It is so hard to over come eating habits, disorders and what-not in todays world. Look around you. Magazines, TV, Radio, the ads for weight loss are endless. And the infomercials of already thin and built people working out in their high dollar suits and pretty hair and firm bods?? No way man, give me a fatty and their progress anytime!!!! Seeing someone sweat and bust their butt to achieve is more my speed.

Yeah OK, that is my vent.......

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    OK, if you are really honest with your self, you can relate!!!

Are you friends with, keep company with or worse, your family members, DOWNERS??

I have started to learn how to walk away from it.

Work people? OMG, they are so bad. They see you eating healthy for lunch and they sit with you on purpose eating a big mac, or something and just rub in the fact that they just really don't care you are dieting.
    OK, get up and move......

Friends that are way, way, smaller then you? The famous quote, "Oh, I am so fat". OK, laugh and say, "your right"!!!!

Family?? Oh eat, you need your strength. Eat, you can diet tomorrow. Oh, one piece won't hurt you.
    Family on the other side? You announce, yahoo, I've lost 10 lbs, their reply, well that's great, but you still have a ways to go. Or, they just voluntarily tell you, you have such a pretty face, you just need to loose some weight.

Ah yes, what to do, what to do.

I have actually started walking away and for me not to comment??? OMG, I am a red head with a leo personality and german and indian blood........

Point?? It is so hard to over come eating habits, disorders and what-not in todays world. Look around you. Magazines, TV, Radio, the ads for weight loss are endless. And the infomercials of already thin and built people working out in their high dollar suits and pretty hair and firm bods?? No way man, give me a fatty and their progress anytime!!!! Seeing someone sweat and bust their butt to achieve is more my speed.

Yeah OK, that is my vent.......
  • lauraj828
    Options
    i so appreciate your post! i've been struggling to deal with the downers who discourage my dieting and weight loss. friends and family will try to tempt me with unhealthy foods and are just really unsupportive of my efforts! thank goodness we have mfp where people can relate to us and understand all the hard work we're putting into becoming healthier.

don't let these downers discourage you. use their negative attitudes and comments as motivation to do what you know is right for your body and stick to your goals.
  • pecksun8
    Options
    Close friends and family are usually the worst when it comes to support in the weight loss or motivation area. It seems like most people whoe don't truly know you canbe more supportive, because they only know what you have told them. You friends and family know most of your dirty little shamefull secrets!
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My solution is not to tell anyone I'm "dieting". I don't like the extra attention. Since I only have a few pounds to loose, I get people telling me I don't need to loose anything. Easy for them to say when their clothes aren't too small on them. It's cheaper to loose the 10 pounds I've gained rather then buy new clothes.

I haven't even told my husband I'm trying to loose weight. He can see I've been excercising and tells me that's great. When he sees me eat a bugar wheat salad for lunch he says "that looks healthy". I don't need any other comments then that.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Ya know, that's just it, I really don't say too much about weight loss because I do not want to discourage myself, I just say I need to get healthier ,

But I appreciate your all's support!!!!

Hooray for us all!!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hah, Good post!

My in laws were here for 4th of july week.

I had lost weight but the biggest thing was how I felt. ENERGETIC!

My 30 yr old niece and her 2 boys were with my mother in law and sister in law.

We get up the 1st morning and i suggest we walk to the pier, it is 1/2 mile away. Niece and boys are happy, boys jumping up and down. SIL tells me I dont have to show off- she cant walk that far (she is the same age as me).

I almost said-if you would let go of the cooler of bud light you probably could! but i didnt. Instead I cheerfully said-we will meet you there and grabbed the boys by the hand and started walking. My niece said it was the 1st time she felt free to just GO>

Later ordered pizza. 1 large xtra everything and 1 large thin, light sauce light cheese, all veggies. they started to complain no one would eat veggies...I said fine I will pay for it, order another heart attack on a crust for y'all.

Well when the pizza was gone, and all that was left was mine everyone had a piece....even the boys (who sil said NOWAY they would touch it) they LOVED it and asked their mom if they could order it this way every time.

Point is we can make a good impression on some people, others will scoff. They are usually the ones who are the least happy with their lives or themselves as a whole. :drinker: :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Ya know, that's just it, I really don't say too much about weight loss because I do not want to discourage myself, I just say I need to get healthier ,

But I appreciate your all's support!!!!

Hooray for us all!!!!!

GOOD HEALTH ROCKS!!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I second Mely, I keep my diet to myself. (Except for telling my Mom, can't keep anything from her!) :laugh:

Finding a support system like MFP has really helped me. I exercise when I really don't want to just so I can check in with the runner's club. And I eat better just because I don't want to log the double bacon cheeseburgers in the calorie counter. :laugh:

Don't let the haters & saboteurs(sp) getcha down! :flowerforyou:
  • Emdicio
    Emdicio Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Nice vent, and I agree 100%. There are always plenty of Captain Buzzkill's and other haters/negative people; it's a part of life. In some ways, I think it's actually part of the journey. Our job is to overcome their influences, build self confidence and awareness, and realize that they are that way because of issues in their own life. Can't let them brinbg you down.

As has been said, keep your story/progress to yourself and let your results tell the story. As much as the "bring downs" will want to tear you down the positive people will see your progress and give you a chance to shine; it's the nature of the cycle! Be strong, be confident, live in your heart - screw the rest of 'em.

Be well.....Mike

Oh, yes, and avoid the (luscious!) double bacon cheeseburgers!
  • OomarianneoO
    OomarianneoO Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My co-workers are the worst! I change into my gym clothes just before leaving work (go straight to the gym afterwards) and I told one person in the building that I had started going to the gym. Well, anyway, people started noticing me changing and weren't saying anything at first. Word eventually got around and I swear everyone is out to get sabotage me. Just last week, two different people, and different times during the week, brought me cake. One woman brought me two huge slices of meat lovers pizza Thursday, and then there's this one co-worker who actually got kind of mad at me when I asked her not to bring me anymore hashbrowns from McDonalds in the morning. 292.gif