Topomax

Options
My doctor prescribed topomax for me this week to help with migraines, and she also said that should help control appetite. Another thing she said was that it would really be helpful in my attempts to give up cokes. Has anyone exeperienced weight loss with topomax? I'm still up in the air about whether or not I want to take it. But no migraines, no appetite, no soft drinks sounds awfully inviting. Any topomax users that could give your thoughts?

Replies

• Rviernow
    Rviernow Posts: 16
    Options
    My doc gave me topamax also for the appetite control. It does work. It also helped with my occular migraines and helped me sleep at night. And for some weird reason, it makes soda taste awful. Another benefit of topamax is that insurance covers it since it isn't a diet pill. My only bad experience with was that since it made me tired, I was sometimes groggy the next day. But I think I am weird that way, ie: a benedryl effects me for 2-3 days instead of one night.
  • rxchecker
    rxchecker Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got put on Topamax a week ago. I'm actually kinda excited to be on it. The Dr did say quite a few patients experience weight loss of 10-20lb ( I have 40-60lb to lose so more the better) He said another known side effect was mental fog. He said I might notice that it would be harder for be to concentrate but that those around me wouldn't notice. That hasn't happened yet. Another surprise effect is that it has curbed my desire for alcohol...I would usually have 1-2 glasses of wine with dinner and since you shouldn't drink while on this med and also you really don't crave alcohol I am noticing results on the scale....lost 5 lbs my first week on Topamax. I have heard that some people experience some hair loss, we'll see in 4-6 mos how I feel about it being on it but for now it's good.
  • KimDis
    KimDis Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My best friend took this for her migraines a few years ago. She DEFinitely experienced the "mental fog" lol. It made work harder and our last trip to Europe interesting since I was the only one who could focus on anything...
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    2 months ago, I was put on Topomax for migraines and the added benefit of weight loss. I took it for about 1 1/2 weeks. I had lots of burning and extreme tingling in my legs and the roof of my mouth. It freaked me out. The doctor said those side effects should go away in a few months, but I didn't know if I could stand it that long.
    Did anyone else have that happen and if they did, how long did it last?????
    I loved not having migraines, which was something I noticed after the 4th day! Would take it again if I knew the side effects really do go away soon.
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I was put on Topamax several years ago for migraines as well but when I started taking it the weight loss benefit absolutely excited me! Unfortunate it worked very well at keeping my headaches at bay, I say unfortunately because I was so bummed to go off of it but I had the worst mental fog! It was terrible I couldn't remember names , numbers, and at times felt like I had some strange form of dementia in my wary 30's. The straw for me was when I drove my son home from a medical appointment out of town about 100 miles and had no memory at all of making the drive. When I reported these symptoms to my PCP she said she calls it Stupidmax because it truly makes people stupid. Within a few weeks of going off the fog cleared, thank goodness! I think if you don't have the fog then it may be sn ok drug for headaches as well as weight loss.... I have to say I have talked to a lot of people about this but no one has had long term luck with it. :(