Broke = Fat

Options
So, I am rapidly becoming VERY discouraged in my weight-loss effort because I just can't afford even the simplest thing to help in my journey. I can't even buy a scale, so I can't do much to track my progress. I can't buy different foods for myself, so instead I have to settle for eating the same junk the rest of the family eats, but in smaller portions - which generally leaves me hungry and cranky. I'm a graduate student, so by definition i should be living on welfare and eating ramen noodles, and somehow I chose this point in my life to try to lose weight. Am I just dumb? Should I just give up and be fat until I have the money to lose weight? I am so frustrated with my whole situation...

Replies

• JessesGirl05
    JessesGirl05 Posts: 253
    Options
    stop buying the "junk" and just buy the healthier foods. youre entire family should be getting healthy with you! even if they aren't trying to lose weight, it wont hurt them to eat healthier!! :-)
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    No, don't give up. There are so many people on this site that are in your situation. Try clipping coupons. I think if you go to eatbetteramerica.com they have good coupons. I get the family pack of boneless skinless chicken breast from Walmart for $10 and it makes about a weeks worth of meals for us. Get some frozen veggies to go along with it. I think you can make it work. Go to freecycle.org and find a free scale. You can track your progress with a measuring tape. Good luck.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I couldnt afford a scale until three weeks into this then last week I hijacked my moms digital scale! I found a cheap dial one for 15 dollars at walmart and would have my dad and son tell me what it said lol
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Some of the cheapest things out there are fresh veggies. Not corn and potatoes but broccoli, cauliflower, bulk carrots, cabbage etc. Stay away from calorie dense or pre packaged foods they tend to cost more and are less healthy. As far as a scale? Skip it, run to your local Walmart or equivalent and pick up one of their $0.98 measuring tape from the craft/sewing section.

Don't throw in the towel right yet. Do some research and if your other half and children aren't down for the healthier eating I guess they better hurry up and get hungry. My daughter stares at her food most of the time like "what are you trying to poison me with?!?!" but that's all there is and sooner or later they all get hungry enough to dig in.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    I was at Goodwill today and saw three scales, three bike helmets, two sets of swim fins, a 15 lb weight and a bunch of exercise tapes. (Not DVDs but the old VHS kind). It might be worth checking out your Goodwill or searching Craigslist to see if you can get a scale for less.

Good luck!
  • KathyWel
    KathyWel Posts: 140
    Options
    If your doctor is near, I am sure they wouldn't mind letting you weigh yourself there, thats what I did when I first started dieting, they didn't mind at all.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    I agree with other posters--get your family healthy while you're at it. Beans are an awesome health food and super cheap.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    It is hard and when you shop for a family on a tight budget it is even worse! It cost more to eat right, if I bought only healthy "good" food for my family it would take my two week budget and cut it in half! Plus, it would add alot of prep and cooking time to my week nights. Not cool for a working mom with active kids! =/ I feel your pain! No answers yet from this end, but I so get what you are saying!!!
  • tobitude
    tobitude Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Stay with it!! I am in the same situation and have lost 26lbs, the smaller portions get easier as your stomach shrinks and I survive on cucumbers and heads of lettuce sometimes to help me feel full because they tend to be cheaper. I only buy some of the stuff if it is on discount or on sale. I swear it is possible, I am a prime example!!!!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    you know many supermarkets have scales where you can weigh yourself, go check!!
    and about food if you really want to lose weight in your situation theres a way, we live paycheck to paycheck and we always have healthy food around for us 4... dont cheat yourself...
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    SHOOT NO! This is a very big point in your life! Its hard to make changes, but you dont need that much money! Smaller portions help, but you can also find very healthy things for a small amount of money..like Tuna..Ramen Noodles cost about the same amount as a can of Tuna...YOU CAN DO THIS...and the most fun part can be trying to figure it out for a low cost! That will make it so much more rewarding..KNOWING you did it for less!

Also, you dont need ANY money to exercise...Just jump around..literally..Jump up and down like you are jumping rope 50 times...you will definitely get your heart rate up!...run up and down the hallway..do 50 jumping jacks twice a day..ANYTHING!!

Also, dr's offices have scales, the grocery store, etc...The scale can be frustrating...maybe just seeing it in pictures with your cell phone...or in your clothes..anything...

Good Luck on anything you choose!
  • bia_bia1
    bia_bia1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't lose faith! If you eat much smaller portions youll be fine. Studying burns calories. And if you feel cranky, go walk outside for a bit and it will help give oyu some peace and quiet. And youll be far from the fridge. lol

You are completely right for making the decision to change your life for the better! come on, i know youre stronger than that to question yourself before you even get started!
    Its so hard, i know. I struggle everyday myself, but sometimes you have to work with what you have. I mean tribes have no money but they eat smaller portions, and do a lot of exercise and they are fine. Follow that rule and you will too.

Ive found that when you arent tracking your weight loss, you lose the most. Just follow your diet rules and forget about "have i lost anything?" becuase the stress of thinking "i have to lose weight" literally, fisiologically doesnt' let you lose weight. So in a way youre better off, and i think youll notice a change when you put on your clothes and they fit looser.

The fact is that you need to make a change in your life. Today. There is never a perfect time to diet, cuase no one likes to do it. Excerising is annoying. And im a student too so i know how hungry and how bad cravings can get when you have a test coming up. Its the biggest reason why ive gained the weight i have. BUT YOU CAN DO IT. if other people have those crazy wieght loss stories, why cant you? you deserve to be healthy too.

So just maybe scavange the fridge from some fruit for breakfast. Or skip supper if you didnt do any exrcise, and go to bed early to avoid temptation. They is a solution for everything. Don't you want to look in the mirror and feel great? To walk around proudly and have more energy? to feel peace with the fact that you wont end up with diabetes, or a heart attack where they have to saw your rib cage in half to save you? or a stroke that leaves you unable to go to the bathroom on your own?
    The question is do you want to be healthy when you are old or not?
    If you cant afford a scale, forget about it. Save up if you can. But for now just keep dieting and exercising.
    The rest will follow. You deserve this. Good health. A happy heart. A peaceful soul.
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    I was at Goodwill today and saw three scales, three bike helmets, two sets of swim fins, a 15 lb weight and a bunch of exercise tapes. (Not DVDs but the old VHS kind). It might be worth checking out your Goodwill or searching Craigslist to see if you can get a scale for less.

Good luck!
    I got two pairs of yoga/pilate pants and two pairs of track pants for $5 there today!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You can get frozen vegetables and fruits for super cheap. They are usually flash frozen so they maintain their nutritional values, unlike nasty canned vegetables. They also tend to be cheaper than fresh. My favorites are edamame and spinach - but there are tons of options. There are many affordable healthy whole grain products you can buy as well. Beans are great and very cheap. I have a very tight budget and never use it as an excuse to eat crap. Don't throw your money into nutritional black holes (junk food). Don't remember where I got it, but my non-digital low-tech food scale works well and cost me $5. Well worth the investment. You can do this! Don't let a tight budget be an excuse to stay unhealthy! P.S. The whole family could benefit from eating healthy foods. I don't cook individual meals in my house - it's not a restaurant! They should all get on board!!! :flowerforyou:

edited to add: By the way, since we started eating healthier (mostly just eating less) our grocery bill has gone down by about $100 to $150 a month. All that extra crap we used to eat doesn't make it into the cart anymore...
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    don't worry about a scale, use a mirror or your clothes. Look for coupons for veges/fruit
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    These are all great posts, but Lethal, can you tell us what you do have to eat, so we can try to help you find better ideas for your food?
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well... you could always buy a measuring tape (for about $1), and use that to track your progress! Just measure yourself every 3-4 weeks!

And, if you're a grad student, then does your school have a gym / exercise room? Bet there's a scale there that you can use!

Good luck!
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I guess I would suggest buying eggs, beans, nuts (I know they are pricey... it sucks) and protein-rich foods in bulk if at all possible, and try try try your best to ditch stuff with sugar. Also try to buy fruits and veggies that are in season or frozen, because they'll be cheaper. Don't worry about buying sustainably too much either, because I know how expensive farmer's markets can be, and it blows as a broke college student. Just do your best with what you have.

Just keep swimming! You can do this!

I'm kind of a follower of the primal/paleo lifestyle (aka less grain and dairy and sugar - more veggies, fruits, and healthy fats). Here's an article from one of my favorite blogs:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/eat-healthy-food-on-a-budget/

He does recommend farmer's markets, but that's hard if you don't have one/many around. Maybe just check out what he has to say, and definitely read through comments, as often readers and followers have great suggestions as well! Hope this helps!
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel and I'm in your shoes at times. When money is tight is hard to buy groceries for the whole family plus your "healthy" foods. Sure people can say feed your family healthier, but that isn't realistic, at least not right away. You have to gradually start feeding them healthier and they wont mind as much but you can't cut out all their favorite foods. I try to do 50/50 with the junk food and healthy foods. There are some things I buy that can go both ways, like chicken breasts at wal mart. I buy a huge bag and can make the casserole or family dinner, but also just boil or cook a couple pieces for me on the side. Then feed my family the high calorie meal and feed myself the piece of chicken and some fruit.

But I also wanted to say don't give up just because you don't have a scale. Just keep trying... I think scales can sometimes UN motivate people because they obsess over every pound they do or do NOT lose. What I like better than looking at the scale is just feeling my shirts are loose or my pants aren't as tight as they used to be. Little things like that will start to happen and you will notice it, even if you don't have a scale. A measuring tape is good. Measure yourself every 2 weeks. I've lost 2 inches in my waist already in a month. Can't lose inches anywhere else yet but I'll take it anyways I can get it, my waist will do!

If I were you I would just keep doing what you're doing. Drink plenty of water because it ups your metabolism. Keep tracking your meals even if you eat junk w/ your family and go over on your calories, just keep tracking and hold yourself accountable. It will motivate you to try buying healthier foods the whole family can eat. Slowly start trading junk foods for healthy foods. Your kids will get over it eventually, they're kids. As far as exercise equipment, I can't afford any of it either. I don't have any work out clothes and I can't buy any DVDs or anything. Instead I just walk. I go on a walk w/ my kids 3-4 times a week if I can. I also just try to stay more active when I can. So far, its working.

You can do it. Believe in yourself, don't let money or lack of money hold you back.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Extremely tight budget here....family of four...Hubby who has a bottomless pit, growing 5 almost 6yr old and a 5month old who is hungry nonstop( and has to have premade soy formula so this is where all the money goes!!) .I buy only the necessities every week....can't remember last time I spent more than $75 at the grocery store!!! Do you have an ALdi's in your town? Also I got my food scale at the Dollar Tree dollar store...works just fine. We eat a lot of eggs and ground turkey!! It can be done on a budget!! Also Kwik Trip....not sure where you are located....this is a gas station......has cheap bananas and other fruits. And yes, clippin coupons helps too!