Substitutes for a sweet tooth

Options
Before my time of the month I have to have sweets (candy) and chocolate. Does anyone have any suggestions on a substitute for these? Usually have haribo jelly sweets and cadburys :)

Replies

• Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love hartleys sugar free jelly. If you get the little pots of ready done stuff there are only 3 cals in it! i also love blueberries and grapes for a quick sugar fix
  • AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Honestly, and some people may argue, but I think I've found the best thing for a sweet tooth. When I crave a big fat candy bar, I have a tootsie roll pop instead. 0 fat, 60 calories and it lasts a long time.
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    One of my favourite substitutes is meringues. Tesco do strawberry mini ones that are about 21 cals for each meringue but I think they're sweeter than cadburys :)
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Fiber one brownies, 90 calories, small but good.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    There is/was a diet chocolate soda called Canfield's diet fudge. It really did taste good. I don't know if it is still available in stores.

I like applesauce with some cinnamon and grape nuts on top. You can microwave if you like it warm. Maybe close to dutch apple pie?

Mock Orange Julius - equal parts skim milk & OJ, add ice, a packet of artificial sweetener, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and blend in the blender. Yummy and great for summer.
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Quaker chocolate rice cakes.. good taste and they seem to fill me up. 60 cal per cake.
  • cptino
    cptino Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oikos Chocolate Greek yogurt. Tastes just like chocolate mousse!
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have some dark chocolate squares in the house. Also, I love my Skinny Cow chocolate truffle bars!
    Oikos Chocolate Greek yogurt. Tastes just like chocolate mousse!

Oh, I haven't had that kind before! YUM! I have to get it next time.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow peanut butter candy bars are soooooo good!
  • kristinmk
    kristinmk Posts: 6
    Options
    :) I know that feeling. The good thing is you Don't have to have it!! Your body wants it, no doubt, and you may feel like you Have To Have IT, but it is simply not true! Our bodies are so addicted to sugar we think it is natural and that we have to have it. See what you feel like not having sugar for a week, Yes you will have cravings, But in the long run removing most sugars from your diet is going to make a worlds of difference in the way you feel and look! Sugar addiction is as strong as any terrible addiction out there. Every time you stick something sweet in your mouth insulin tries to store it away as fat. You can control what you eat, your craving don't control you. :) I know you can do it! Try a 21 sugar detox, you'll be glad you did!
  • smex14
    smex14 Posts: 48
    Options
    I agree with the low cal Hartley's Jelly mentioned before - alo in the evening I have a highlights chocolate fudge hot chocolate - only 40 cals!
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate. I have found that Chocolate Shakeology works best for me. It tastes to amazing and has so much good stuff for you. It ends up killing my cravings for anything sweet (and soda craving too). I dont know if you are interested in it, but it works for me!

Steph
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate. I have found that Chocolate Shakeology works best for me. It tastes to amazing and has so much good stuff for you. It ends up killing my cravings for anything sweet (and soda craving too). I dont know if you are interested in it, but it works for me!

Steph

Where do you get the chocolate shakeology?
  • beautylovetruth
    beautylovetruth Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Personally I would try a green smoothie with some cocoa in it. It will be healthy for you and taste like chocolate and fruit!! Can't really go wrong with that. Otherwise, I find eating an orange, strawberries or grapes gets rid of the sweet craving. I agree with the post above that we are addicted to sugar and finding ways to substitute the 'bad' sugars for the good, natural ones is a great idea. You just have to find a new Go-To that you can have on hand during those times.

Good luck and let us know what works for you!!
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    nothing like dark chocolate.

Also I love sweet potatoes. look for red garnets. the best!

Another thought, I like to mix my protein powder with yogurt. Vanilla powder + vanilla yogurt = YUM!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Frozen Yogurt (Tilamook is wonderful and has lots of flavors and around 100-120 cals), sugar free jello pudding with 1-2 tbsp of fat free cool whip (70? cals total), Wilson's calorie free, sugar free caramel dip.

Good luck! :)
  • Cbmom4
    Cbmom4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Because you love dark chocolate, as I do, try a smoothie using a tablespoon of raw cacao powder with fruit. It's high in anti-oxidants, and the cacao powder is about 30 calories per Tbsp. My favorite is made with banana and spinach. You can use whole, raw milk for healthy dairy, or for fewer cals, use just enough water to blend with ice. Smoothies are AWESOME, 'cause they're healthy and sweet...naturally!
  • Luvmysixpack
    Options
    I have a bag of snack size candy bars that are around 90 cals so if I get a craving I start and stop at one of those.
  • danibee41989
    danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I crave sugar and salty food all the time, especially before TOM comes. I find that Diet Snapple Iced Tea - Peach Flavor, helps!!!
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes. They are like little orbs of sorbet.