Neti Pot

Options
CassieLEO
CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
Ok so a non-food or exercise question here-

I have horrendous allergies right now, I cant sleep, im exhausted and feel horrific. Ive used Claritin, Zyrtec, Tylenol Cold and allergy, and the only think I get slight relief from is regular Benadryl.
I have been reading up on the Neti Pots, and people have said they work wonders for them and their sinus symptoms, so I picked one up.
Has any of you guys used them? What did you think of them???

Replies

• tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180
    Options
    I use a Neti Pot for my allergies and it's better tha any medication. You MUST use it faithfully 2x a day though. :smile:
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was the same way too.. Only Benadryl would work but then I tried Allegra.. have you tried it. It's actually over the counter now.. just in the last few weeks I believe. But to answer your question.. YES neti pot does work. I've used mine several times and it works wonders. I was actually refered to it by friends who swear by it too. You should definately try it out!
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    Havent tried Allegra yet. Ill have to try that one next LOL!!! Ok, wish me luck im going to try the Neti Pot LOL!!
  • MrsMills712
    MrsMills712 Posts: 350
    Options
    I've found relief with my neti pot.
    I did once forget to shake up the mixture before doing it, and talk about serious burn.
    The same can be true of wrong water temperature. Just be sure to read through and follow all directions. Don't want your experience to be an unpleasant one. Good luck & wishes for good health to you.
  • Laurabetha
    Laurabetha Posts: 15
    Options
    I used to use the Neti Pot, but I found that the Neil Med Sinus Rinse (the plastic squeeze bottle) actually works better. There is a little more force than with the Neti Pot.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I have one and only used it once when I felt a wicked bad cold coming on. And that's all it took, because I felt fine the next day!

It feels horrible, but works wonders.
  • CassieLEO
    Options
    Ok guys! I used it and boy did it clear out my sinuses! It burned a little at first then sropped burning, and the solution made me gag when it went down my throat a little, so I adjusted my head and that didnt happen again. Good stuff!!!
  • cjjohnson1
    cjjohnson1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My mother has lots of sinus problems. I believe she has has four surgeries. She likes the squeeze bottle much better than the neti pot also.
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've been doing nasal irrigation for years, though never used the Neti pot or any solutions that they sell for it. I use a 10 cc syringe and normal saline. The normal saline does not burn, and the syringe, i imagine, is easier than trying to pour something into your nose. Whatever methods you use, it works great.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I am an absolute believer - it's completely cleared my allergies which were all sinus related and (touch wood) I also don't get colds any more!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Another fan of the Neil Med bottle! You have a bit more force and a larger volume of liquid. I don't know what I would do without it! I don't like to take pills, and can use the bottle any time, don't have to wait for the prior 'dosage' time to run out before using again. I found I get better relief if I kind of fill the sinus and then blow it out hard rather than just letting it trickle out. Gross, but it works for me.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love my neti pot!

The trick to it not burning is to use distilled water at room temperature.

Also, if you can, try sleeping with a warm mist humidifier. It works wonders for my sinuses, especially during allergy season.