Vegetarian Bake - 286 cals

Options
thebirchtree
thebirchtree Posts: 11 Member
Hello all,

I have been on MFP for about a month now and it is really helping me to be able to calculate the calories in everything I cook. I am a real fussy eater so tend to make a lot of my meals from scratch and thought I would start sharing the recipes.

This Vegetarian Bake is inspired by the classic hot pot with sliced potatoes sitting on the top, but the flavour is slightly more meditarranean with herbs and spices.

This amount feeds four people and gives 286 calories per serving

You need:
1 onion 2 cloves garlic
1 stalk celery 1 tbsp olive oil 1 teasp lemon juice
1 carrot 1 red pepper 1 vegetable oxo cube
1 green pepper 3 mushrooms
1 tbsp mushroom ketchup (can substitute for a red wine or a white wine vinegar)
1 teasp sugar 1 teasp paprika
1 teasp coriander 1 teasp cumin
1 teasp oregano 1 teasp parsley
2 tbsp tomato puree
200g quorn mince 200g red kidney beans
5 tbsp water 1/4 teasp all spice
3 small potatoes 1 tbsp semi skimmed milk

1) blend garlic, half of the onion, celery, and carrot with a small amount of water to make a puree

2) chop the rest of the onion, and the peppers and fry in the olive oil until softened

3) add the puree to the mix and fry for a few minutes

4) add mushrooms, mushroom ketchup, sugar, paprika, coriander, cumin, oregano, and parsley and fry until the liquid is reduced

5) stir in tomato puree and quorn and fry until quorn is cooked

6) add red kidney beans, lemon juice, vegetable oxo cube, water, and all spice and simmer until water is reduced

7) slice potatoes into thin circular slices (with skins on) to layer across the top of the bake. Microwave for four minutes to soften.

8) transfer mix to a shallow dish and layer the potatoes over the top to create a crust.

9) brush potatoes with milk

10) bake for 20 - 25mins or until potato has browned

You should end up with a tasty, filling bake that you can serve on it's own, or with a pile of leafy salad, or with a chunk of homemade bread (or both!)

Replies

• haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • thebirchtree
    Options
    Although I've lost all the formatting in my ingredients list so will post it again here for simplicity!

1 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 stalk celery
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 teasp lemon juice
    1 carrot
    1 red pepper
    1 vegetable oxo cube
    1 green pepper
    3 mushrooms
    1 tbsp mushroom ketchup (can substitute for a red wine or a white wine vinegar)
    1 teasp sugar
    1 teasp paprika
    1 teasp coriander
    1 teasp cumin
    1 teasp oregano
    1 teasp parsley
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    200g quorn mince
    200g red kidney beans
    5 tbsp water
    1/4 teasp all spice
    3 small potatoes
    1 tbsp semi skimmed milk
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy - thank you for sharing this!
  • gamblrslady
    gamblrslady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is quorn mix? A spice blend?
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    From Wikipedia:

"Quorn is the leading brand of mycoprotein food product in the UK and Ireland.[1] The mycoprotein used to produce Quorn is extracted from a fungus, Fusarium venenatum, which is grown in large vats.[2]

Quorn is produced as both a cooking ingredient and a range of ready meals. It is sold (largely in Europe, but also in other parts of the world) as a health food and an alternative to meat, earning the Vegetarian Society's seal of approval.[3] As it uses egg white as a binder, it is not a vegan food."

I haven't tried it, because I wasn't sure if my kids would spot the difference, but this might be a good dish to try it with!
  • thebirchtree
    Options
    Yes, Quorn is a vegetarian form of protein - a meat replacement. You could substitute for soya mince of any form, or even for meat mince if you wanted to.

My husband is vegetarian so we eat a lot of Quorn in our house! I actually prefer the Quorn mince to meat mince, as does my three year old. It is lower in calories than meat too.