Body image - best advice I ever got

Options
maureak
maureak Posts: 107 Member
I once complained to a fitness instructor that I wanted 'runners legs' - lean, thin and strong. No matter what I did, my legs were not cooperating.

Her advice to me - stop wishing for someone else's body! I am not built that way - I have short, muscular legs and muscular calves. I will never have skinny legs.

I never forgot that advice. It save me from years of a bad attitude towards my body. I am happy with what I have!

How about the rest of you? What advice have you received that made a big difference in your body image attitude?

Replies

• zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    great advice from your trainer...
    my advice I got: stick to it! lol
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just realized I was short...I just thought pants were made extra long. I will never be a supermodel...and now, I don't want to be because most (please do not take offense) are unhealthy, and I would rather be short and muscular and kick-*kitten* anyway!
  • blondie1238
    blondie1238 Posts: 182
    Options
    BUMP! I need some good advice today :)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    That is great advice! I have curves, alwas have, I "blossomed" early so I was tormented in school and always wished I didnt have curves now I love an embrace them even if Im trying to show off the ones I have/love without the extra creases/rolls!!
  • helenr32
    helenr32 Posts: 15
    Options
    No matter what I weigh the biggest part of me is my bum and thighs. However, my husband (who I've been with for 7 years now) has genuinely taught me to love my backside!!! He hates flat bottoms and I've come to finally accept my shape :D
  • carriecolleen
    Options
    Boys like booties :) Best thing I ever heard!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    First gym I ever went to, 25 years ago, a real no-nonsense place... They told me to remember that my body will reward me in very obvious ways for whatever treatment I give it.

I've never forgotten that advice; while I have put on weight at various times over the years, I've always taken responsibility and acknowledged that it was directly caused by my actions. I'm sure that being aware of that is what has stopped me from ever becoming vastly overweight over the years.

*EDITED TO ADD: They didn't just mean eating too much by the way, they also meant positive things such as better health, strength and energy, as well as negative things like inadequate nutrition, and bad form or overtraining causing joint problems.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    No matter what I weigh the biggest part of me is my bum and thighs. However, my husband (who I've been with for 7 years now) has genuinely taught me to love my backside!!! He hates flat bottoms and I've come to finally accept my shape :D

:/ I have no *kitten*...it's upsetting...
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I once complained to a fitness instructor that I wanted 'runners legs' - lean, thin and strong. No matter what I did, my legs were not cooperating.

Her advice to me - stop wishing for someone else's body! I am not built that way - I have short, muscular legs and muscular calves. I will never have skinny legs.

I never forgot that advice. It save me from years of a bad attitude towards my body. I am happy with what I have!

How about the rest of you? What advice have you received that made a big difference in your body image attitude?

GREAT Advice!
    Mine: Love and Value Yourself, right NOW, just as I am!