servers assuming your portion size without asking?

Options
mlh1988
mlh1988 Posts: 7
i've noticed, mostly just this past weekend, that when i go out somewhere, and order something and don't say what size i want.... the server tends to assume i automatically want the smaller size. for example, i went out to a restaurant friday night, and i ordered grilled chicken. the meal came with 2 breasts, and on the menu it said in small print, it can be ordered with just 1 if desired, for less money. when my meal comes out, i only got 1 breast. i always get larger portions and take some home for lunch the next day. she fixed the mistake and seemed embarassed. i don't know if it had anything to do with her being heavier-set or not. i'm smaller framed. then saturday my boyfriend and i went for ice cream. i ordered what i wanted and the girl walked away to make it before i said what size i wanted. when my boyfriend ordered, she asked him. but she gave me a small. again, she was heavier set.

any thoughts? i've had this happen a few other times. it's only irritating because sometimes i do eat a lot if i want. maybe this is all in my head lol!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed this, but I think I'd be mad if they assumed in the other direction...I'd think OH they think I'm fat so I must need the supersize...LOL

But that's just me...

I kind of doubt it was intentional, it was more likely to be that they were absentminded, forgot to ask, then decided on their own to go with the smallest (aka cheapest) choice on the theory that it can always be increased. Maybe?
  • Boladefuego326
    Boladefuego326 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ok, when i go out my friends and family understand that KAYLA (my alter *****) will come out if I'm not happy. I've had this many times only it's the other way around...im the heavy set girl and there's this skinny broad not asking me if I want a larger meal. I mean i couldn't have eatn that day ...or im expecting (im not) or w.e. My rule of thumb is...**** if imma pay this much for a meal DON'T SKIMP OUT SKINNY BROAD. Yes...I have been accused of being a ***** when it comes to food haha.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed anything like that personally, maybe try saying the size up front? Like, "I'll have the full size portion of the 'blank' with a box to take the other half home"
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    that's really odd. having been a fatty mcfatfat all my life, i've never had this happen, and i'm kinda curious to see what other answers you get. i'm kind of inclined to think it has to do with your fat servers not being trained properly - i was always taught in jobs like that to offer the larger size EVERY TIME, simply because they cost more.

of course, it's not secret that people who are less fat, eat less. maybe that has something to do with their assumptions?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    they prob just gave you a small because its worse to give you a large and you say 'im not going to pay for that" since you didnt specify that would be my guess .. i dont think it has anything to do with you being small and them being heavier and in both cases you admit to not specifying or having the time to specify...usually people say can I have a "medium" cone for instance not can i have a cone "medium"...so they probably thought you were finished ordering...
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    i jusgt always woudl assume that they dont ask and give me the bigger one cause it costs more money, which upps the bill, which gets them a larger tip. *shrug*
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    that's really odd. having been a fatty mcfatfat all my life, i've never had this happen, and i'm kinda curious to see what other answers you get. i'm kind of inclined to think it has to do with your fat servers not being trained properly - i was always taught in jobs like that to offer the larger size EVERY TIME, simply because they cost more.

of course, it's not secret that people who are less fat, eat less. maybe that has something to do with their assumptions?
    You really think all heavy people eat more than skinny folks?....plenty of things should be considered before stating that just my opinion
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    hm. Not the sharpest tools in the box if they are encouraging you to spend LESS money. Weird. I was a server, and the bigger the bill the higher the tip if you look at percentages.
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm a former server so here's a little insight from my experience: There are two types of servers; Ones that try to save the customer as much money as possible (ie. offering smaller portions, suggesting "hey, if you order this and add that you'll save .50 cents" etc) and the ones who try to upsale as much as possible ("would you like fries with that"). A good server will always ask what you want, but it is entirely possible that the waitress in this situation noticed that most people go for the smaller portions and just made an assumption based on that experience (2 breasts is quite a lot for most people, and smaller framed folk typically eat smaller meals). Don't take it personally, I doubt she was judging you or meant any offence. Everyone can make things a lot easier for themselves and their servers by being as specific as possible when ordering... and for you servers, always read back the order and make sure you know what your customer wants so you get the tip you deserve! :flowerforyou:
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options

You really think all heavy people eat more than skinny folks?....plenty of things should be considered before stating that just my opinion

obviously that wasn't intended as an all-encompassing statement. it's a general-rule statement, and an accurate one, in my experience.
  • CmGoode
    CmGoode Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a former server so here's a little insight from my experience: There are two types of servers; Ones that try to save the customer as much money as possible (ie. offering smaller portions, suggesting "hey, if you order this and add that you'll save .50 cents" etc) and the ones who try to upsale as much as possible ("would you like fries with that"). A good server will always ask what you want, but it is entirely possible that the waitress in this situation noticed that most people go for the smaller portions and just made an assumption based on that experience (2 breasts is quite a lot for most people, and smaller framed folk typically eat smaller meals). Don't take it personally, I doubt she was judging you or meant any offence. Everyone can make things a lot easier for themselves and their servers by being as specific as possible when ordering... and for you servers, always read back the order and make sure you know what your customer wants so you get the tip you deserve! :flowerforyou:

I am also a former server and bartender. I can offer my insight. If you have worked a while at a specific place, you get to know a lot of the trends and what people tend to oder...I can't say that I have run into this type of issue before. When I bartended if the person didn't specify if they wanted a short or tall, I would ask and after a while I got to notice that if they didnt specify, then most people wanted a short. I know tha this is different from food, but I thought that I would offer some of what I have experienced.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    At Applebees I ordered the french onion soup, the server automatically thought I wanted the weight watchers version! This was when I was HUGE! It is just the point of people being so judgemental! Now I let it be known as I am ordering what size, how I want it cooked and my reason, so there is no confusion.