Cheat Days

ahadj
ahadj Posts: 257 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
I've seen people on here talking about taking "cheat days". I am a little reluctant since I've never done it, but I kind of want to try having a "guilt-free" day, since as things stand now, when I allow myself to have something delicious but bad for me, I always feel guilty.

So just a question to those that take cheat days... do you log your cheat days? If yes, does seeing a high red number freak you out? If no, do you worry about not knowing for sure? And to all: How does taking a cheat day affect your weight loss?

Thanks!

Replies

• IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    I've had a number of cheat days since I have started. I've logged a couple of them... other times I just shrug it off and continued my healthy ways the next day. I'm at 43 pounds lost in 4.5 months, so I'm not too worried about those cheat days and how they effected my weight loss.. they probably did something, but they were worth it at the time. haha
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    First off ... never feel guilty about eating. :) You're only affecting yourself so what is there to feel guilty about? If the choices are good in the long run is what matters.

I don't take cheat days intentionally and planned. There are definitely days that I go over tho. I know when I'm going over and there are a lot fewer of those than the ones I don't. Weekends are always harder for me but also easier to exercise more. It all works out in the end and I have not seen any slow down in weight loss due to it.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Sometimes my red goes over but really... I'm planning on doing this for the rest of my life. There's going to be special occasions where I will go over. I just try not to do it too often, maybe once a month at the most. Some people like to do it once a week but I don't have the control for that. Also, despite them being "cheat" days I still work out extra and sometimes still stay within my calorie limit.

Like yesterday, I ate some watermelon for breakfast and then did a bunch of extra work at the animal rescue where I volunteer and for dinner I stuffed myself with sushi and was still within my calorie limit. It's a great way to not deprive yourself but still be smart :)
  • aimee0515
    aimee0515 Posts: 67
    I do a cheat every once in awhile (sometimes more than other). Yes...I log EVERYTHING that I put in my mouth. Seeing how much I would weigh if I ate every day like that puts thing in perspective. I will say, however, eating something bad for you (high in carbs and high in fat) will jump start your metabolism if you are eating a very healthy diet. When I competed, I didn't take a cheat "day" but I would have a cheat "meal" every 2 weeks because your metabolism does tend to slow down when you don't eat enough calories or enough fat and that is a good way to get it going again...hope that helps.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    I occasionally cheat on weigh in days. I don't go overboard but usually just eat what I want. I have a week to get back on track before the next weigh in and I have had a steady loss throughout the past 2-1/2 months. The worst thing you can do is weigh yourself every day. It will drive ya nuts. Cheat days are like the real world. Sometimes you have weddings, birthdays, events where there will be eating. You just need to learn moderation and you'll have a big part of the puzzle put into place.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    I do a cheat every once in awhile (sometimes more than other). Yes...I log EVERYTHING that I put in my mouth. Seeing how much I would weigh if I ate every day like that puts thing in perspective. I will say, however, eating something bad for you (high in carbs and high in fat) will jump start your metabolism if you are eating a very healthy diet. When I competed, I didn't take a cheat "day" but I would have a cheat "meal" every 2 weeks because your metabolism does tend to slow down when you don't eat enough calories or enough fat and that is a good way to get it going again...hope that helps.

So aimee0515, seeing that you are a certified nutritionist, is the research about rising and falling leptin levels and how it affects your metabolic rate for real? If so, it would seem there is evidence that periodic cheat days are a great tool in long term success.
This discussion has been closed.