A Free Day

Options
I was wondering if anyone allows themselves one day like once a month, to be bad? Like having foods that you wouldn't normally eat, but LOVE?

I have completed my second week here, and have lost five pounds and I'm really excited about it, but today I am really in a funk. When i think about eating, I haven't thought of healthy foods, but french fries, and cookies. And I have no motivation to workout today either.

Anyone else get like this from time to time? And if you do, how do you get through it?

Replies

• drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    for sure - maybe not a free day once a week - but a free meal, or a few free meals. It's life and very hard to stay 100% completely healthy all the time.

I would definitely incorporate some type of free meal(s) into your routine. It will help you stay on track. Plus I am betting you won't feel all that good after you eat the junk and will re-inforce good eating habits.

Great job the the weight loss so far!

maybe go for a walk, some light exercise and fresh air will re-invirogate (sp) you.
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just power through it and think of everything I'm working for. Today is one of those days for me, it took all I had not to buy a pint of ice cream earlier. I just thought of all the weight I've lost and knew that if I bought that pint, I'd end up eating the whole thing in one sitting.

The only suggestions I can give is to think of all the hard work you've done and where you want to be this time next year. I think of how much better I've felt since I've started eating better and what a difference 20 pounds has made. Also, I think of how I would feel logging the food and having my friends see it in my log keeps me accountable. ;)
  • Buddie616
    Buddie616 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I give myself a free day every week, mostly every Saturday! I eat what I want! It hasn't hurt me yet!
  • IRPylot
    IRPylot Posts: 2
    Options
    Don't sweat it. Have your free day, and then get right back on the horse the next day. The only race you're running is one against yourself, so nobody is knocking off points if you take a detour or two. Just get back on the path the next day, and maybe go run an extra mile or so.
  • sleepy184
    sleepy184 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do get days like that and sometimes, I dont feel like exercising.
    To be honest, it depends on the day, some days I push myself through and make myself exercise (and normally feel better for it) other days I think, I'll have a day off.

As for food, I tend to try to ridigly stick to my calorie allowance, if I know I am going to go over, I ensure I do some exercise to make up the short fall.

There is also the motivation from people on here that they give you each day. Build up your friend network and they will drag you thourgh the bad days!
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes. I try to never deny myself of things that I am consistently craving. I actually have a day once a week where i let myself go over. Even though I track everything I let myself have that piece of cake or two scoops of ice cream or shrimp scampi with pasta. I've found it keeps me from binging in the long run and completely blowing it. It's healthy to live a little.
  • Buddie616
    Options
    I have yet to go over on my calorie intake on my free day though!
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to have a free day every now and then. Friday was my free day....BUT THEN, Saturday came along and I wanted more junk food....there is a reason they call it the 'sweet tooth'!:tongue: I have a problem with craving more sugar once I give in to a little bit. So, I think as long as you know what your weakness is, and know that you wont give in to TOO MANY free days, they can actually be beneficial. They can trick your body and boost your metabolism, and also let us mentally let go of our calorie counting obsession for a short while. Even on my free days though, I still try to stay under 2000 calories and make sure and track all my food. That way when I gain a little bit, I can go back in my diary and see why and remember what caused it.
  • Buddie616
    Options
    Yes. I try to never deny myself of things that I am consistently craving. I actually have a day once a week where i let myself go over. Even though I track everything I let myself have that piece of cake or two scoops of ice cream or shrimp scampi with pasta. I've found it keeps me from binging in the long run and completely blowing it. It's healthy to live a little.

Im with you on this!!!
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I do, but having said that I am mindful that if I plan to have a cup of tea and a chocolate bar after dinner that I somehow compensate during the day (i.e. eat less calories at lunch or dinner). It's harder when its spontaneous like the kids want pizza for dinner than I look at trying to do extra cardio or walk the dog longer. Hope this helps:tongue:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference. I'm all for it. Once every week, I eat whatever I want. Sometimes I feel I should be a little more strict so I limit it to 1 or 2 free meals. Sometimes discipline slips and it's more than that. I think the free day provides a great psychological benefit, and a small physical benefit (keeping your body from thinking it needs to hold on to fat).
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    I think its good to reward your self.So yes Once a month I eat something I miss.Nothing wrong with it.enjoy yours.:happy:
  • Learnin2LuvMe
    Learnin2LuvMe Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I normally always have something that i want everyday,I just make sure i stay in my calorie intake,and i go by the serving size. This morning I had a glazed donut and a kalache,with guilt free. Before I started eating better,I could eat about two or three donuts a big glass of milk and maybe more sweets after.So its a learning process,so enjoy what you want just do small amounts:)
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, I just eat it in moderation. If I go over calories then I take an extra walk. If I can't go on the walk then I put off noshin' on the naughty stuff until the next day when I do have time to burn a few more calories.
  • em_lou007
    em_lou007 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi!

I have decided to let myself go over on my calories once a week if I need to and no more !
    (just so i do still keep loosing weight rather than think ok i'll start again tomorrow and tomorrow never comes!)

It's up to you. When I was on weight watchers my weigh in was on a tuesday so i'd always go over my points that evening (after weigh in!) and still lose weight!

If you want to try it then do, if it doesn't work for your body then try planning foods into your diet.

Remember too much of anything can make you put on weight - ok the quantities may be massively different but the old cliche "everything in moderation" really does work - plus it helps to keep your motivation going :happy:

Good luck with your weight loss journey

:flowerforyou:
  • rvanderpool3
    rvanderpool3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it is great to have a free day(or atleast a free meal) every so often. To me, being healthy is about more than losing weight. It is about learning to enjoy the things you love in moderation. You have to reward yourself every now and then for all the hard work!
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    When I dont feel like working out...I just come here. Read some posts, look at some before and after pics, just generally get myself in the MFP mindset - and then I feel motivated to DO IT. And then I do.
  • cychick82
    cychick82 Posts: 2
    Options
    I give myself a day free of working out once a week, usually Friday, just to have a free evening. I also try to keep my freezer stocked with some of the Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones ice cream treats and snacks....that was if I want something "bad" it's not all that bad for me. Sugar free popsicles are a great treat for me when it's hot out too.

Good luck!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I have "free" day once in a while, but not every week. For some reason this week, I was REALLY hungry, so I over-indulged this weekend. It's over now, and I will get back on track tomorrow. I'm a little concerned that my weekend of indulgence wasn't really planned, but I've put in a couple of good workouts and will be heading to the grocery store soon to get all of the "good" stuff I should have eaten this weekend.