HRM question

Options
My hubby bought me a HRM for Mother's Day (it's what I asked for!), but it only shows my calories burned in the pedometer mode. So does that mean that it isn't accurately doing my calories burned if I'm wearing it while just doing an exercise video, playing catch, bowling or something like that? Is it only accurately telling me my calories burned when I'm walking/running?

It was a Sportsline S12 (12 function) HRM. I don't know much about HRMs anyway, so any advice on an affordable one that can monitor calories burned no matter what type of exercise I do would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i would say see what the instructions say, and if there is no explanation, call the 800 number and ask questions..i have a polar ft4, so i don't know how yours works, but mine has the chest strap as well, and i can do anything, and it will record it..
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Possibly. I only know the Polar HRMs, which is what I've always had which do everything, even water exercises if you buy the right model. If your HRM actually has a pedometer mode it might not be that sophisticated and just do that. Did it come with a manual? Or better yet, ask your husband really sweetly to figure it out because you're anxious to use it right away and you can't figure out how to get it out of pedometer mode :-) Also, you might want to look at their website and they usually explain the benefits of each model they make....that might tell you right away if your model only does certain things. Out of curiosity does it have a chest strap and a watch?

If the HRM set-up doesn't ask you to enter data (age, weight, etc.) there is also no way it is really accurately calculating calories burned, because it's not taking in the whole picture of who's using it and it definitely can't tell you your target HR zones. It's better than nothing but not what you might want. And you might not be working out as smart as you need to....there are days I concentrate on fat burn and keep my rate in the 130s, etc. or at least a chunk of my workout. And as I change cardiovascularly and my weight, and my age, I change the data and it re-calculates me in my better condition and changes my zones.

Also keep in mind, as your fitness level gets better and weight keeps going down, you need to work harder to get into your target heart rate zone to burn fat and more calories. I've found this recently. Now when I do a long brisk walk with the dog I'm rarely if ever in my target zone unless we do a big flight of stairs at the beach or something....I'm still burning calories, but minimally and i don't it as a fitness goal/workout because I'm not in my zone....thus I'm getting minimal cardio benefit (which is also important to health, not just calories burned, but making your heart work harder and get stronger).

I highly recommend Polar, my model once I entered my age/weight/etc. immediately tracks my three HR zones and at the end of my workout tells me whether I was fat burning, or endurance building, etc. and tells me how many minutes in each zone as well as calories. My HRM It has A LOT of features I don't understand lol, but they make a ton of models.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have a polar F7 and it rocks. Waterproof, accurate and comes in pretty colours lol.
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • miller32807
    miller32807 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I did have to enter my personal info into it at first, so I know it's calculating when I walk. But there are several modes to it, and the only mode that has the calorie burner on it, is the pedometer mode. So I'm really leaning towards it only tracks calories for that. And *I* read the instructions. lol If I waited on hubby, it might not get done. hehehe I've already packaged it up so that I can take it back. I didn't want to spend a ton on one, but it's looking like that will be the only way to get an accurate result.

Oh, and this one did beep to let me know when I entered my target heart rate zone and if I dropped below that zone, it would beep again.

Thanks!!
    Possibly. I only know the Polar HRMs, which is what I've always had which do everything, even water exercises if you buy the right model. If your HRM actually has a pedometer mode it might not be that sophisticated and just do that. Did it come with a manual? Or better yet, ask your husband really sweetly to figure it out because you're anxious to use it right away and you can't figure out how to get it out of pedometer mode :-) Also, you might want to look at their website and they usually explain the benefits of each model they make....that might tell you right away if your model only does certain things. Out of curiosity does it have a chest strap and a watch?

If the HRM set-up doesn't ask you to enter data (age, weight, etc.) there is also no way it is really accurately calculating calories burned, because it's not taking in the whole picture of who's using it and it definitely can't tell you your target HR zones. It's better than nothing but not what you might want. And you might not be working out as smart as you need to....there are days I concentrate on fat burn and keep my rate in the 130s, etc. or at least a chunk of my workout. And as I change cardiovascularly and my weight, and my age, I change the data and it re-calculates me in my better condition and changes my zones.

Also keep in mind, as your fitness level gets better and weight keeps going down, you need to work harder to get into your target heart rate zone to burn fat and more calories. I've found this recently. Now when I do a long brisk walk with the dog I'm rarely if ever in my target zone unless we do a big flight of stairs at the beach or something....I'm still burning calories, but minimally and i don't it as a fitness goal/workout because I'm not in my zone....thus I'm getting minimal cardio benefit (which is also important to health, not just calories burned, but making your heart work harder and get stronger).

I highly recommend Polar, my model once I entered my age/weight/etc. immediately tracks my three HR zones and at the end of my workout tells me whether I was fat burning, or endurance building, etc. and tells me how many minutes in each zone as well as calories. My HRM It has A LOT of features I don't understand lol, but they make a ton of models.
  • chrissyv1024
    chrissyv1024 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a sportline 915 - it's a hrm and a calorie counter (and does a few other things) but I needed something pretty basic and semi inexpensive. I really like and have gotten used to it. At first I wasn't too sure about it. But, I works well. It's a wristwatch one, now a chest one. Good luck finding one!
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I had one of those and returned it.( Sportsline 12 function) too many functions! It was confusing and frustrating! I have a Polar FT7 and I LOVE it!! It has a chest strap and comes in pretty colors and works fabulously! I used to think if I wasn't panting and out of breath that I was doing well in the calorie/fat burning mode.......well my fat burn range is way lower than I thought so now I don't have to work that hard :) you can find info on google about them they are amazing! I hope someone answered your question :)
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    great that you're good with manuals!! I'm so not and that you packed it up. If it doesn't do what you want and you're not happy with it, not really worth it. You'll have it awhile!!