Is there anyone out there that does NOT eat back there exerc

Options

Replies

• pickleanmeangreen
    Options
    the way i believe its suppose to work is for every 3500 cals u lose, either way, whether its burning or losing from a diet is a lb of fat
  • sara128
    sara128 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I didn't eat back the calories but after reading the endless posts on MFP I decided to give it a go. So a couple of weeks ago I gave it a go for a week and it was a disaster, it resulted in no weight loss at all!! This was the first week since Sept 2010 that I hadn't lost any weight over a 7 day period so from now on I won't be eating them back.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    okay guys...

so you are supposed to eat your calories back because MFP already gives you a deficit of calories.
    For me it takes away 500 because I naturally burn 1,700 do to metabolism.
    Thats why people say to eat your exercise calories back, because they already give you a deficit of 500 calories.
  • PeteyRunsNow
    PeteyRunsNow Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No, i never do and i find I'm not hungry anyway to want to eat more.
  • Rebeccasluckyduck
    Rebeccasluckyduck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories, because my doctor said not too.

I just talked to my doctor yesterday and he told me the same thing.
  • RacheBell
    RacheBell Posts: 111
    Options
    Well I say that if you are full, then don't eat. If you are hungry then eat. How about we just stick to that? People's bodies all work differently. Some people don't lose the weight if they eat back their calories.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    okay guys...

so you are supposed to eat your calories back because MFP already gives you a deficit of calories.
    Thats why people say to eat your exercise calories back, because they already give you a deficit of 500 calories.

But only down to 1200, so if you are meant to eat 1400 for instance, you'd only be getting 200 cal deficit, which is neither here nor there, really.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do not eat mine back. When I started my MFP goal was 2100 cal a day, now it is 1600. I always eat 1200-1300 a day. I record exercise as an accountabilty thing, not so I can eat more calories. My body is happy in the 1200 range so that is where I stay.

The weight loss has slowed a little now, but that is probably because the cal deficit is smaller now. I would say that this question has a lot of variables...how overweight you are, how much and how intense the exercise is, etc. It is not a one size fits all answer. I do not eat them and my doctor is ok with that. Bloodwork shows me to be healthier than I have been in 10 or 15 years and there are no ill effects from my low net ( I usually net. 7-900). Every calorie that I eat, though, is good for and nutrient rich. No empty calories.

That doesn't mean that this is the correct way for everybody but it does work for me.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    okay guys...

But only down to 1200, so if you are meant to eat 1400 for instance, you'd only be getting 200 cal deficit, which is neither here nor there, really.

They base it off your BMR. So my BMR 1,700 is different then your BMR.
    Some BMR's are 1,900 calories, so yes they would be alloted 1,400 calories for their deficit.

It's your choice whether or not to eat your exercise calories. But in my last 15 lbs, I have ate them back and not hit a plateau whatsoever.

When I wasn't eating my exercise calories when I did this over a year ago, I did NOT lose weight towards the end and got frustrated and gained it all back. I rather do it slow and continously lose .5 lbs a week then lost 10 lbs in a month and not be able to lose anymore..
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Depends what's going on in my day.

Goal: 1470
    Net over the last week:
    Monday - 1140
    Tuesday: 1236
    Wednesday (no exercise)- 1228
    Thursday - 566 (didn't realise this as it's been my first week, I burned 694 cals and ate 1260)
    Friday - 1062 (went for massive lunch, burned 792 of a 1500 cal lunch)
    Saturday (no exercise) - 1196
    Sunday (no exercise) - 1350
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    In eat some back cos I have adjusted the settings to 1100 a day as I think my bmr is more like 1600 so 1100 gives me a 500 deficit.

I have adjusted the exercise too as it is too generous on here so I use 80 per mile for running not 100+ and 65 for the cross trainer for example

I exercise a lot so could notnsurvive on 1100 therefore do eat back some but don't plan to eat them all deliberately. I also know I under record my calories so can't really eat them all back every day otherwise I wouldn't lose
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay within 1200-1400 range when it comes to calories......regardless of any exercise...
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I read that as long as you don't dip below 1200 calories you should be okay. That being said, I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that I should eat back the calories I burn off; it's SO deep in my brain to NOT eat them back. My husband swears by it though, and he's been doing great. I notice I usually stay in the 1400 range overall most days.
  • jasonweinberg
    jasonweinberg Posts: 270
    Options
    wow two whole pages of a thread about eating back your exercise calories and not a single mention of "starvation" or the so-called dire consequences of netting less than 1200. i'm impressed!
  • terri0702
    terri0702 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I started eating my exercise calories, and my weight loss slowed right down. However, I am only 4' 10" so my BMR is only 1140 calories, and even allowing for my normal daily activities it's only 1420 a day. Horrible to think that most people are losing 1-2lb a week on what will be my maintenance calories if I don't work out!

Anyway, as a result, if I eat 1200 a day, AND eat my exercise calories, I'll have a calorie deficit of merely 220 calories a day, which means it would take me at least 15 days to lose 1lb. As it is, I'm losing nearly a pound a week, and due to my regularly working out in the gym what I'm losing is all fat. :smile:

At some point, I may need to start eating more, but for now I'm losing and I'm happy. Though at my size I could go down to 1100 a day, I rarely eat fewer than 1200 calories; getting sufficient nutrition is important to me.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    and even two people who are consulting and following dr.'s orders. doubly impressed.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    You all are making it way too complicated.

I pick a calorie goal. I eat said goal.
  • jasonweinberg
    Options
    actually, to some extent i think that is what most on this thread are saying. that's why i found this thread refreshing.
  • kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    wow two whole pages of a thread about eating back your exercise calories and not a single mention of "starvation" or the so-called dire consequences of netting less than 1200. i'm impressed!

So true...and so funny...