I fell off the wagon.....

Options
I am really pissed off with myself... I was starting to lose weight, and by the end of it i was around 115-120kg... Then I don't know what happened. I started eating junk again, I started sitting on my *kitten* again. I started gaining weight again!!

I'm now over what I started at. Sitting at a whopping 140-145kg. I had a set of scales error when I stepped on them. It completely broke me. I'm now not sleeping properly, my wife says I have sleep apnea, I stop breathing through the night consistantly. Now I'm waking up more tired than ever!!! I feel like for the past month I haven't slept a single night.

I think my biggest thing is exercise though. I'm a massive computer gamer, and all I want to do when I get home is relax and play World of Warcraft. I don't give myself any time to exercise, mostly because I can't think of any exercise that I enjoy! The only exercise I don't mind are sit-ups and push-ups. I like strength training, I always have. But I've NEVER had a good record for endurance, so cardio has never really worked too well for me. I remember in high school when I was actually pretty fit, a 50m free-style swim made me pass out and throw up (ended up having to go home) - I came first though! haha

I need help, I don't know how, or what I anyone can do... But at least I'm back here looking for some i suppose. I'm starting to use the journal again, but I've got a long way to go...

Replies

• Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    First and foremost you need to see a doctor - sleep apnea can kill you! As for cardio exercise,start small by adding in some walkingand gradually increasing your endurance. You can do this!
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Coming back is the first step. I am also intensely into WOW, but I have to set aside time to exercise. I really like the JM 30 day shred videos because it mixes cardio and strength, so while you're doing strength, you're cooling down from cardio. I have real problems with aching legs, and find that the break in between really helps.

You CAN get back on the wagon! Don't give up. Is that half hour after you get home, that you could set aside to exercise really going to impact your WOW time THAT much? Ask yourself what is more important, and will it really matter if you give up half to one hour of gaming a day...

What server are you on? I'm on US-Staghelm ;)
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You're a gamer? Have you tried the Wii or XBOX Kinect? This was the only way I could re-introduce myself to exercise.

I used to love computer games at night, too. Now my computer games make me move!

You can do this! Welcome back!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    You DO need to see a doctor about the sleep apnea an the sooner the better! Don't fool with it! My hubby has it and I used to HEAR him stop breathing and then I would hold my breath until I heard him breathe again. He got treatment and sleeps with a cpap machine and he is so much better. More energy and is not falling asleep all day. He's also working out again. Before he started the treatment he was too tired all the time to do anything much.

Go get treated! It will change your life and the lives of your family! Good luck.
  • jagianotti
    jagianotti Posts: 18
    Options
    I agree with wuggums, you need to get that sleep disorder checked out...It may be caused by the weight. You can do this, do it for yourself and your family...we all fall the wagon sometimes, I cannot even seem to stay on it!:noway:
  • Snowy42
    Snowy42 Posts: 48
    Options
    I know the half hour won't impact WoW that much, but that's how I think now. When I get home, I KNOW I'm going to think "30 mins on my new priest is another 1-2 levels!! OMG CAN'T WASTE TIME GOGOGO". (US-Kel'Thuzad)

Does anyone know some good workout videos I can follow that are free? Downloadable or able to watch online? I really don't get much money from my job (stupid place) and I can't really afford to buy the videos at the moment.

Also, I will go to the doctor, probably next monday cos it's my next day off.
  • beastlye
    beastlye Posts: 37
    Options
    This may not work for you, but here's what helps me --- I have to take things one day at a time and focus on the small steps I'll be taking that day. Thinking about who you were in the past might drag you down and discourage you more than anything else. Taking little measures to exercise and eat right over a long span of time will create some MAJOR results!

Don't worry if you can't just step outside and run a marathon. Take a few minutes to walk around your neighborhood or a local park and enjoy being alone with your thoughts for a little while. Don't beat yourself up too much if you have a few slip-ups...we're all human here. Focus on all of the positive things you're doing to make your life the best one possible and keep moving forward from there. I wish you the best of luck...you can do this!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Hey man, we aren't too different you and me (except I think in terms of pounds instead of kg).

I decided I had to quit my online gaming, because it was just too important to me. My personality requires I be 100% on whatever I'm on. And when that was gaming... it wasn't pretty.

I got a CPAP a couple of years ago, and it's helped me. But what's helped me WAY more has been working out. My wife says I haven't snored in weeks, as I've been working out daily and eating healthier.

I also hate cardio. Hate it. But i've come up with a system that works for me...

I got a treadmill from Craigslist, and someone bought me some wireless headphone for Christmas. Now I watch movies with the headphones (otherwise you just can't hear the audio) while I do the treadmill. It's SOOOO MUCH better for me. It makes a world of difference.

Dump your WOW subscription and use the money for the stuff you need to get healthy. I know it's tough to do, but you CAN do it. If you're saying you have money for WOW but not an exercise video your priorities are wrong.

The biggest thing, which none of us here can give you, is the motivation to take it seriously this time. I don't know how it can happen for you... but for me, the tipping point was when I saw a video of myself doing an interview for a work thing. I couldn't believe how big I'd gotten. Then I got on the scale and that pretty much drove the point home.

Good luck, and feel free to message or friend me, I'm happy to help if I can.
  • Snowy42
    Snowy42 Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks h3h8m3. I don't think I need to quit WoW completely. But I know I can at least put it down for at least an extra hour of an evening.

I have a treadmill, but when we moved house it broke. Just won't work now... We got it going, but I think something shorted, the power blew and now there's no hope of it working. I'm still paying the damn thing off and I can't use it!!!

I do like the wireless headphone idea though... That was the big thing when I used it before, I couldn't hear the TV at all, and I lost interest because I couldn't really do anything while being on the treadmill...

I gotta get that thing fixed!!
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    There are ways to ease into exercise. Park a block farther away from work or get off the bus a stop early and walk, in fact you can do this every where you go. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. If you don't want to exercise in the evening then take a walk in the morning or on your lunch hour. Try to walk a little farther each day. Walking is a good place to start and can take you quite a ways to your weight loss goal.