Eating Too Little

Options
Since I started using this website I have realized that I have been eating way too little calories each day! I've eaten what I would usually consider enough food to make me gain a few pounds, but now I see that it isn't nearly enough. I've been averaging about 800-1000 calories a day, and I'm scared to eat more.

I used to do a lot of sports(tae kwon do, karate, a lot of martial arts.), but I couldn't afford them any more so I started to cut back and cut back on my food, but I still kept on gaining and gaining weight. I was 119-ish, now I am at 132-ish, this happened through a year and a half. I have also been doing about 30 mins of cardio a day for the past three months, but I still seem to be gaining weight. (I'm not just judging my changes on weight alone, I'm starting to get a little bit 'fluffy', especially around the stomach area.)

Is this what I hear people talking about "starvation mode"? How do I start losing weight? Please help!

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating what MFP recommends you to eat (my guess is 1200 calories a day). You have to eat all 1200 calories in order to get your metabolism going again. You may gain if your body is in starvation mode, but keep eating 1200 NET calories a day and your body will readjust and you'll lose. (Net calories means whatever you eat minus what you burn. if you eat 800 and burn 400, your net is 400 calories so you need to eat back those 400 you burned).

You can do it :) just don't give up if you see weight gain at first. Your body needs to relearn that food doesn't need to be stored for later.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    First, you should probably consult a doctor as you have mega- confused your body at this point, medical supervision getting back to healthy is probably a safe bet.

Second, you will most likely have to gain additional weight before you can begin losing again.

Being afraid to eat is definitely not a good thing, so you should build yourself up slowly. I reccomend not taking your weight for a few weeks, but giving yourself a good solid month to reset your body and your metabolism. Start by setting a minimum amount of calories for yourself everyday- start at the higher end of your range- about 1100 (this is in addition to anything you burn off in exercise). Then add 50-100 calories to this minimum every few days until you reach 1600 or 1700 calories (this is roughly what you would need to eat at maintenence). Going up to 1800 wouldnt be crazy.

Then start dropping your calories back down. I would say about 1400-1500(plus exercise) for about a month would be good to start off with. At this level you should see losses, but as you probably arent overweight, weight loss may be sporadic. If you feel the need to drop down to 1200 (the minimum recommended by this site) or you feel yourself stalling, slowly work your calories up and then drop back down.

Operating at a caloric deficit can be a real strain on your body. It will need assurance that you are not in danger of starving and that the nutrition you need is available.

Best of luck!
  • Kristendcampbell
    Kristendcampbell Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Since I started using this website I have realized that I have been eating way too little calories each day! I've eaten what I would usually consider enough food to make me gain a few pounds, but now I see that it isn't nearly enough. I've been averaging about 800-1000 calories a day, and I'm scared to eat more.

I used to do a lot of sports(tae kwon do, karate, a lot of martial arts.), but I couldn't afford them any more so I started to cut back and cut back on my food, but I still kept on gaining and gaining weight. I was 119-ish, now I am at 132-ish, this happened through a year and a half. I have also been doing about 30 mins of cardio a day for the past three months, but I still seem to be gaining weight. (I'm not just judging my changes on weight alone, I'm starting to get a little bit 'fluffy', especially around the stomach area.)

Is this what I hear people talking about "starvation mode"? How do I start losing weight? Please help!

I did what you did but at 700 calories for 2 years. I gained 15 pounds within 2.5 months. The key is to eat the calories suggested on this site for your goal of losing 1 pound a week with the weight you are at and your age. Keep excercising and drink in ounces half of the weight you are currently at. That was alot for me 15 glasses a day, but I finally have it down and I am constantly thirsty. Add me to your friends if you like and then I can message you privately too if needed.