Anyone run in Newtons?

Options
I just found their website and their shoes look interesting. There's no retailer near me to get them though, so I would be ordering them off of the internet. Anyone have any experience with them?

Replies

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I was looking at Newtons last year, but they're really pricey. The idea behind them is fairly sound though. Instead of getting the Newtons, I went with the Vibram Five Fingers.

What is it about the Newtons that you find interesting?
  • adhillman01
    adhillman01 Posts: 206
    Options
    I'm really interested in breaking my bad habit of being a heel runner. I'd like to transition to mid-fore front running. I know the Vibrans can help with this too, but there doesn't appear to be any support in them. They look really uncomfortable to run in. Have you liked them?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in breaking my bad habit of being a heel runner. I'd like to transition to mid-fore front running. I know the Vibrans can help with this too, but there doesn't appear to be any support in them. They look really uncomfortable to run in. Have you liked them?

I find the vibrams very comfortable. Try a pair on and see how you like them. The fastest way to break a heel strike habit is run barefoot, or in vibrams with no cushioning. Unless you really like pain, you will not be heel striking more than a stride or 2.
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I like the VFFs a lot. I was a habitual heel striker before I switched over to them, which led to runners knee, plantar fasciitis, etc. Now that I use VFFs full time for running, no more of those injuries.

That being said, the best way to develop good form is to spend one day a week at a track and run a short distance barefoot. A treadmill is okay too. Once you start running without shoes, your body will automatically stop heel striking, your stride length will shorten by a few inches, and you'll naturally land on your forefoot. Some people who practice the barefoot running technique and actually transfer that to running in regular running shoes. If you look at runners like Ryan Hall and Deena Kastor, they use regular running shoes, but land on their forefoot.

Just make sure to make your barefoot runnings days the really short days, like a mile or less for the first few weeks. I spent seven months transitioning to VFFs and I have been injury and one year after I started my transition I'm going to do a half marathon.

Definitely have a look at and try on the VFFs and NB Minimus and Merrell Gloves, but also give barefoot running a try. Minimalist shoes will help you get closer to the ground, but the heart of what you're trying to do is change your technique, and occasional barefoot running is the one thing that will help enforce and reinforce that forefoot technique.