Tell me I am nuts

Options
Please tell me I am nuts!

I have been under calories, working out everyday burning 800 calories a session. Today I burned 1,082 calories but had a bad night with eating (don't think I consumed over 2,500 calories today or anything insane) and the scale says 4 lbs up from this morning. Tell me I am nuts and this isn't a gain.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Water retention due to the workout.

You are nuts (as you wish...)
  • Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find that I can flucuate within 4lbs. in one day. Just weigh yourself at the same time everyday so you don't drive yourself crazy and want to throw the scale out the window!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    It would take way more than one night of eating crazy to gain 4 lbs. It's probably due to something else (water retention or something) and will probably settle back down in a few days.
  • cdskates
    cdskates Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's just temporary gain. You'll be back down again real soon, no big!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Its probably that same ild culprit - sodium :smile:
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Just remember that it takes 3500 EXTRA calories (above your baseline) to gain 1 lb. So it would take 14,000 calories to make you gain 4 lbs overnight. Your night wasn't that crazy was it??? LOL
    Water retention is most likely the culprit. Push the water and the weight will disappear!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You're nuts.

There. Are you happy?
  • aclark6818
    aclark6818 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find that I can flucuate within 4lbs. in one day. Just weigh yourself at the same time everyday so you don't drive yourself crazy and want to throw the scale out the window!

It's really suggested that you weigh yourself once a week at the same time on the same scale for it to be accurate--& I find you can drive yourself crazy when you weigh yourself more often--I weighed myself after 3 days--up 2 lbs--2 days later (my normal weekly weigh in) I was down 4lbs.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My weight does this if I get too many processed carbs. Last weekend I spent a day and a half at my parents then my inlaws, not a piece of fruit or a raw veggie in sight. When I got home I was up 6lbs and GRUMPY! It took until today for my weight to be back down to the previous level. Salt intake will do it, and being at all dehydrated will not help at all(without brita filters I cannot drink that clorine infested tap water, ick). I drank a ton of water this week and got my eating back to normal so hopefully will lose at my next weigh in. I am sure your weight gain is temporary, I second the suggestion to weigh at the same time of day only once a week, saves on the stress.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Are you sore? It's possible that you are holding on to some water from the workout (when muscles tear and rebuild they hold onto water) and a not so good day of sodium.

P.S. You're nuts.
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Are you sore? It's possible that you are holding on to some water from the workout (when muscles tear and rebuild they hold onto water) and a not so good day of sodium.

A little sore, I burned over 5,000 cals last week. Sodium levels seemed okay today.
  • AllyS7
    Options

A little sore, I burned over 5,000 cals last week. Sodium levels seemed okay today.

Well soreness could account for some of it, how about yesterday or the day before's sodium levels?
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options

Well soreness could account for some of it, how about yesterday or the day before's sodium levels?

I've been under sodium for the last week, anywhere from 1,200-1,600, so nothing outrageous
  • AllyS7
    Options
    Hum, I'm stumped. I'd say soreness could account for a few pounds of water, especially if it were large muscle groups or a lot of different muscles.

Good news is, from what you've said I highly doubt you've gained 4 lbs of fat. Like someone else has said that is a ridiculous amount of calories. Plenty of water and protein and you should be back to normal!
  • Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

It's really suggested that you weigh yourself once a week at the same time on the same scale for it to be accurate--& I find you can drive yourself crazy when you weigh yourself more often--I weighed myself after 3 days--up 2 lbs--2 days later (my normal weekly weigh in) I was down 4lbs.

I usually don't weigh myself more than once a week for that same reason. I just meant that I always weigh myself in the morning before leaving for work as opposed to one week in the a.m. and the next in the p.m.
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    water retension... also if you binge once a week you'll retain water for a couple of days then lose more weight.
  • yogajan
    yogajan Posts: 9
    Options
    When it is suggested to weigh once a week, there is a good reason for that. Your body fluids shift constantly to maintain homeostasis. What I find to be most important is to look for trends. For me, the downward trend is what I want, but have accepted some plateaus which drive me crazy.