c25k frustration

Options
Hello all.

I started c25k about 8 weeks ago and I'm stuck. Try as I might I can't run 25 minutes strait. I've been training on the track at the Y, but having failed the 25 minutes a few times there, I have also tried running outside & on the treadmill (both harder than track it seems).

I'm incredibly discouraged. Does anyone have advice?

Replies

• joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    I am still a C25K newbie (working on week 1 for forever!) but from what I have read, try slowing down your pace a bit. Good luck!!
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try making your own mix of music that will keep you movitated
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on the 5 minute runs for 2 weeks, lol. I'm still working my way through the program though, slowly. Try slowing down your pace a little, it helped me get over my 5 minute issue!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm going to third or fourth slowing down your pace.
  • beckyard
    beckyard Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I tried C25K last year. For me, it was a great starter. But when it came to running 5 mins then walking 3, or running 8 then walking 5, the walk was too much of a cooldown for me and made the next set of 5 min running even harder. At about week 4 or 5 (which i kept going back to) I just quit the C25K and started running on my own. Since you're on a track I would run as long/far as you can one time. walk just enough to catch your breath, even if only 30 secs to a minute and then keep going. I run down my street so I gave myself light poles as a guide. Each time I'd make it another light pole away and keep adding another. After just running til I couldn't run anymore, and then just kept going from there, I did much much better. I went from not being able to run 5 or 7 mins, to running 15, 25 and then 30 minutes at a time within a week or so. A few months later I did my first 5k and finished in 39mins. It would have been better but I didn't run the whole week and a half before the 5k. But that's my advice. That's what I did and it worked for me.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've had a running friend say he heard from a prof, running trainer that the long breathing breaks actually do cool the body down too much and slow you down.

Maybe try a 3:1 split or a 2:1 split. Until you can build up your stanima.
  • Jbledsoe42
    Jbledsoe42 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My pace is already real slow. I have short little legs :laugh:
  • lmajed
    lmajed Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep trying you will get there. I'm on week 8, and when I get tired and feel like walking I tell myself to keep going for one more song. I find if I just keep going long enough I will eventually get my second wind that takes me to the end of the run. Good luck, and just don't quit!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    SLOW. DOWN.

Even if you're doing C25K on a treadmill and normally run on a 5, slow way down to 4 or even 3.8. The time you finish your race in won't matter (you can improve that later). FINISHING is what matters (and enjoying the journey)
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I started with C25K but I didn't like the breaks so I just run until I am tired stop long enough to recover and do it again and I just try to run a little long each time even if it is only 10 or 15 seconds.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I agree with everyone else. I got frustrated with it too. I also suggest going for runs without timing it. Besides your normal ones. Like at a park or wherever just for the fun of it. I have trails near me that are fun and peaceful and sometimes i run on them and just "for fun" One big advantage on trails is it is way easier than on a treadmill or sidewalk or the road. Especially on knees.

Also I just did my first 5k this weekend. It is a whole different thing when you do one. You learn your pace there by observing others and by your own body. And other than very young high school age boys Nobody ran the whole three.1 miles. It would be cool to be able to do so but don't let not being able to do so keep you from running a race. The experience is better than fudge ripple ice cream :):laugh: I am looking around to sign up for my next one already and will "train " for it as well. I learned a lot from this one and know a bit better How to train and what to try to work on. Oh and since I am so gabby if you have a safe place to run like the grass at the park take your shoes off. It really shows you how your foot should be striking the ground. Your feet automatically do that the right way when you are barefoot. Weirdest thing and I would not have believed it if I had not tried it. But it helps so much when you do run on a treadmill after that. Good luck and don't give up!
    Mary
  • addiandal
    addiandal Posts: 2
    Options
    I am restarting the C25K this week. I used it last year to train for a 5K and never could run the whole 25 minutes. Last week I ran a 5K without training and finished under 39 minutes. My advice to you is to stick with it. Keep working at it and hopefully it will get easier. Good luck!
  • ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options
    For me I haven't had the same problem.. I will admit that the last 8 min seems to be tough.. I'm on W7D2 -- what I have been doing though is making sure I'm not "running" too fast.. I've done it all on treadmill so far and my Avg speed is about 4.7 -- 4.8 MPH now.. I started doing my runs at 4.5 -- I'm just focusing on the time and then I can increase the speed..

What I"ve also heard others do that seems to have worked.. is that if one week is too tough.. back off a week and re-do the previous week ...

I've noticed it gets a bit easier.. oh and I think a good solid set of music is key as well..

Well I hope it works out for you.. so far I'm sold on the program.. as I literally started from the couch myself :)
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    If you are already a slow runner, try working on pace rather than distance. If you currently can only run 5 minutes straight at a 13 minute mile pace, try to whittle it down to an 12 or 11 minute mile pace. Once you've accomplished that, I bet you'll find that you can run alot further than 5 minutes at your original 13 minute mile pace. Basically, you are working on your ability to "speed up", so that you can go further when you slow it back down.

I know this is the exact opposite advice that everyone else has been giving you, but, in a sense, we are saying something similar, just from the opposite end. But since you responded that you are already a slow runner, I hear you that slowing down doesn't feel like the most viable option. And believe me, I know a thing or two about being a slow runner...If I slowed my pace down any further, I'd be power walking.
  • supersecretsquirrel1877
    Options
    I am on week 8 and am finally at 2 miles of straight jogging. Seemed like it took me forever. The key for me was lowering my pace from 6.0 mph to 5.3 mph, that made such a difference and I was able to jog longer way quicker than I ever thought I would. Now I have to remind myself not to over do it. I want to run all the time, love the "high" from it. My goal is now to slowly increase the speed of my 2 miles back up to the 6.0 mph range. Don't give up and keep on going. Great music helps, I have to select songs that match my pace to keep me on track, dumb but effective.