Giving up the smokes

missjones68
missjones68 Posts: 9
edited September 27 in Motivation and Support
Has anyone else given up the smokes and continued to lose weight ? I've been trying years and hear so many stories of people gaining loads of weight that as soon as i feel i'm gaining more weight i start smoking again :ohwell: any advice please x

Replies

• ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    I quit smoking but not nicotine. nicotine is really not any worse than caffeine for our body. It gets a bad rap because of the delivery method. :) I quite smoking using e-cigs but did not quit taking nicotine. It's the 4,000 other chemicals that give you cancer and the combusted paper and tobacco going into your lungs that make it hard to breathe. Dunno ... works for me anyway.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    You can only gain weight if you eat the calories or sodium. Quitting smoking was not real hard for me, but I was not trying to lose weight when I did it. Just remember, if you continue to eat right for weight loss you WILL NOT gain weight.
  • Thanks for your replies...will be taking them all on board :smile:
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    I believe the reason why people tend to gain weight once they have quit smoking is more because they use the food (mostly junk) to fix the craving of a smoke or to just have something in the mouth for the sensation of that action.. I found it hard at first when I quit I felt like I had to have the candy cigs or twizzlers and just pretend I was getting my fix or I was bored and use to smoke as an excuse to get out of the boredom.

I finally noticed my pattern and made a firm decision that I am changing my lifestyle to be healthier, stronger and that helped with curbing the craving for a smoke as well as breaking the habit of stuffing my face to cope with quitting the smokes cold turkey.
  • wonnder1
    wonnder1 Posts: 460
    http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Way-Stop-Smoking-Non-smokers/dp/1402771630/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1305508649&sr=8-1

This book changed my life. Didn't gain a pound. But I'm not preachy, you'll know when it's your time.

*edit* gave the link for the cd first.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    The ten pound you may (or may not) gain by stopping smoking is far preferrable to the damage being done by continuing to smoke.

But - you will look nice at a size 6 hooked up to life support,.
  • Good point :embarassed:
This discussion has been closed.