HRM

Options
How do you lose weight using a HRM??

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    The HRM tracks how many calories you burn as accurately as we are able to judge. That in turn makes it easier to judge what to eat that day to match your calorie needs.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I use mine to keep track of calories burned, and to monitor the level I am working at. I love mine and consider it an important part of my lifestyle change.
  • asilva3111
    asilva3111 Posts: 44
    Options
    How do you lose weight using a HRM??

Get an HRM that has a chest strap. Set your HRM with your gender, age, height and weight. Set it up to FAT BURN ZONE, which is between 65% and 75%. Do your aerobic workout within that range for as long as you are going to work out so you burn the most amount of calories.

I have mine setup at 65% to 75%. I can either walk on my treadmill between 2.9 and 3.2 mph at a incline between 5 and 5.5 deegrees for 30 minutes IN the zone and burn between 500-570 calories. Of course it takes me about 2-5 minutes to get IN the zone, that is why such a difference. The same with my elliptical machine. Workout for that same 30 mins IN the zone and achieve the same thing.

I bought mine at Walmart for $48+tax. Sportline SX. It works great. Records (B)elow zone, (I)n zone, (A)bove zone. Has timers, chest strap, calories burned, and some other stuff that I have idea what it is.. hehe

Best of luck to you.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. How does it track calories? Mine just monitors my heart rate. Do you wear it all of the time?
  • asilva3111
    Options
    Make sure you get one with a chest strap. The first one I bought didn't have one, it was a runners HRM not a workout HRM, and I ended up returning it. I didn't know the difference until I got here on MFP and asked ? and got guided.
  • asilva3111
    Options
    I'm a little confused. How does it track calories? Mine just monitors my heart rate. Do you wear it all of the time?

I wear mine ONLY on my workouts. Sure, you could use it all day to see how much you burn throughout the day to get a more exact how your body works as far as how many beat per minute is your heart at all times.

But it is mainly for workouts, so you see how much you burned on that specific workout.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Sure, you could use it all day to see how much you burn throughout the day to get a more exact how your body works as far as how many beat per minute is your heart at all times.

I never thought about wearing it for a 24 period, just to see how many calories I'd burn...hum I might do an experiment! (Yay for nerds!)
  • Fenyx
    Fenyx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Agreed, the chest strap is the best. I use the NewBalance N4, veeery simple, easy to use and setup. The one I had before simply had too many features I would never use for me to keep it. It was bulky and confusing lol and the N4 is actually lady-like and very easy =). Simply put it on for your workouts, start the timer, and check cals burned after.
  • asilva3111
    Options
    Sure, you could use it all day to see how much you burn throughout the day to get a more exact how your body works as far as how many beat per minute is your heart at all times.

I never thought about wearing it for a 24 period, just to see how many calories I'd burn...hum I might do an experiment! (Yay for nerds!)

Make sure you do a regular day; no workout or nothing extra ordinary. That way you can set CUSTOM your daily calories burned and it will help better determine your daily consumption of food and exercise needed.

Good luck!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options

same here nerds are us
  • Luvlex4
    Luvlex4 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wearing a HRM w/the chest strap has allowed me to see to the best of my ability the amount of calories burned NOT because I eat too much, but because I have not been eating enough! And this has been for a loooooong time. I wish I had been smarter and purchased one years ago. I was way underestimating my caloric burn and potential, did not realize my HR reached such heights and never knew throuigh out the day what my body was burning. It is not exact but it is waaaaaaay better than what I was doing before. I am hoping this will help me bust thru my plateau now. I am very intense andlove and crave a good workout so this has been a great tool!