Help me clean up!

Options
rblauvelt7
rblauvelt7 Posts: 97 Member
Okay, so I'm going to try to clean up my act a little, but I'm asking for help. I realize processed foods are out, but can anybody make me a cheat sheet grocery list for tomorrow. Just a list of staples that I should generally have on hand, not like a complete feed-me-for-a-month list. Oh, and because I'm assuming they will come up, I am allergic to nuts.

Replies

• abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love this list (it's in a link, sorry!)
    http://www.spartafit.com/nutrition/healthy foods list.php
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hmmm some of my staples are

Greek Yogurt
    Granola
    Kashi Cereal
    Unsweetened Almond Milk (but you're allergic to nuts, so substitute whatever you like here ^_^)
    Laughing Cow light cheese
    Hummus
    Flat Out Wraps
    Salad
    Fruit of Choice
    Meat of Choice (beef, chicken, etc.)
    Healthy bread - I do Dave's Killer Bread light

I don't cut out ALL processed foods, like i still buy rice cakes (ZOMG) and fiber bars and such

Hope this helps a bit
  • rblauvelt7
    rblauvelt7 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't cut out ALL processed foods, like i still buy rice cakes (ZOMG) and fiber bars and such

Yeah. I'd like to clean up as much as I can, but with a very picky toddler, I doubt I'll be completely clean.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options

Yeah. I'd like to clean up as much as I can, but with a very picky toddler, I doubt I'll be completely clean.

Psh. Don't stress it. Technically you could lose weight on fast food if you only at X amount of calories a day.

I figure life is more fun when you live it. A lot of people will try to convince you that you're poisoning yourself and killing yourself and what not, ignore it. Just read the labels and go the what has fewer ingredients.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    salad greens
    assorted fruit
    yoplait lite yogert
    whole wheat flat breads
    liquid eggs (egg beaters)
    laughing cow cheese
    fat free cottage cheese
    carrots, cukes, tomatoes
    canned tuna
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The staples I can think of quickly:

Lean ground turkey
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Chunk white tuna
    Barilla Plus pasta
    Marinara sauce
    Mozzarella cheese
    Yogurt - Greek or what is on sale
    Reduced fat cheese sticks
    Sesame seeds
    Almonds
    Salad greens
    Tomatoes
    Light salad dressings
    Fresh vegetables in season
    Frozen vegetables out of season
    Lemons
    Bananas
    Peanut butter
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole grain cereals
    Whole wheat flat bread or wraps
    Brown rice
    Cottage cheese

Hope this helps!
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I think a really useful thing to do is to plan out your meals for the week before you go shopping. That way you buy what you need and don't have to throw out heaps of un-used foods. It also stops you from getting to the evening and going 'what am I going to have for dinner?' and then just opting for something processed and 'easier'. You dont have to plan out every single meal for the whole week, but maybe just write down 5 things to cook for dinners, and then buy lots of salads, tuna, breads, eggs, yoghurt cereals, fruit etc so you can make a range of lunches, breakfasts and snacks....

you can have a look at my diary, i don't eat totally 'clean', but i do home cook all my meals and use mainly fresh products.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Staples

rice milk
    quinoa
    brown rice
    onion
    olive oil
    salad green
    braggs apple cider vinegar
    black bean
    red kidney bean
    almond butter
    grape tomatoes
    apples
    avocados
    larabars
    spinach
    eggs

I always have these items on hand. If you are broke brown rice or quinoa and frozen veg or beans makes a filling meal. Quinoa is dirt cheap and a complete protein. Onions are good for seasoning and adding flavor so you don't need a lot of salt.For me Salad greens or spinach and tomatoes are the base of 99% of the salads I eat. Braggs ACV and olive oil plus your choice of herbs & spices make and excellent vinaigrette. Avocados can be sliced on salads and increases the absorption of nutrients from the rest of the salad.It can also be mashed with a bit of lime and spices for some home made guacamole. Eggs can be made in a variety of ways.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    Staples

rice milk
    quinoa
    brown rice
    onion
    olive oil
    salad green
    braggs apple cider vinegar
    black bean
    red kidney bean
    almond butter
    grape tomatoes
    apples
    avocados
    larabars
    spinach
    eggs

I always have these items on hand. If you are broke brown rice or quinoa and frozen veg or beans makes a filling meal. Quinoa is dirt cheap and a complete protein. Onions are good for seasoning and adding flavor so you don't need a lot of salt.For me Salad greens or spinach and tomatoes are the base of 99% of the salads I eat. Braggs ACV and olive oil plus your choice of herbs & spices make and excellent vinaigrette. Avocados can be sliced on salads and increases the absorption of nutrients from the rest of the salad.It can also be mashed with a bit of lime and spices for some home made guacamole. Eggs can be made in a variety of ways.

I am actually really interested in quinoa. Could you recommend some links that would give me good information and/or recipes?