coping strategies?

Options
Hello!

My situation: University student, studying full time, suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder, depression and anxiety (all of which I am receiving professsional help for)

My question: Looking for some coping strategies from some people who may be in the same situation, or are just full of wise words, ready to share good (well needed!) advice. I.e how do you deal with stressful times? How do you get on with your day? What motivates you? What drives you? What picks you up when you are in one of those frames of minds where the world feels like it is all coming down on you at once? What stops you from just giving up?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• chefmom1
    chefmom1 Posts: 8
    Options
    i don't have any ocd but i do have depression and anxiety, celexa has worked well for me but when i get down and out, getting out of the house has worked well for me.

I had to do this today. i just drove around with the window down, but sometimes just getting out of the house is just what i need

hth some
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    When dealing with stress it always helps me to schedule things out. Being meticulous helps -- writing everything in a schedule book. Even scheduling time for yourself. You should try scheduling some "nothing time". Time that you can use to just sit and watch tv, or sit and look at cat pictures online, or sit. Or go for a walk. Or knit (I've been told that repetative actions can be calming :flowerforyou: ). Or do whatever, as long as its fun or what you want to do.

This is not time to go to the gym. Or hang out with friends. Or to study, or to do anything you HAVE to do. It should be a want to do.

This has helped me in the past when I've had anxiety or been depressed. I'm not sure how helpful this will be because I've never been professionally diagnosed with anything, but believe me, I've had some pretty dark moments. Scheduling time specifically for me always helped me avoid getting to those bad situations.

I hope this helps!:flowerforyou: