Bread

Options
My hobby is making artisan bread and I enjoy eating it as much as making it. The problem is trying to figure out the calorie count of homemade bread as opposed to the white bread found on supermarket shelves. I use high protein flour (about 20% protein) salt, yeast and water. There are also times when I make whole wheat or multigrain. Any thoughts on calorie count would be appreciated.

Please, I am not interested in being chastised about eating bread. It is the one food that has sustained many for thousands of years and is not to be condemned, but enjoyed. I don't eat it with butter or other fat and limit the size of my slices.

Since I enjoy the process and trying different recipes, I have learned how to freeze it, so I always have some handy. My friends and neighbors would be disappointed if I ever stop baking.

By the way, I took bread baking lessons from a French chef who owns one of the most prestigious schools in the country and he is rail thin.

Replies

• modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Just add up the calories in all the ingredients and you will have the total for the loaf. Then weigh it and portion it out from there.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    yeah what modern said, add up the calories in all the ingredients and ou have the caloric intake of the loaf.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    use the recipe feature on mfp :smile:
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Just add up the calories in all the ingredients and you will have the total for the loaf. Then weigh it and portion it out from there.

Exactly what I'd do.

BTW, congrats on your craft! That is something I'd love to learn but have never taken the time.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I use the recipe feature all the time. It's great for all my favorite foods. It's almost fun trying out new combinations of ingredients or substituting for more calorie friendly ingredients.
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    MMM...in a bread maker? Or the old fashion way in the oven? I bet it's really yummy warm with homemade jam.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I bake my own bread and I don't strive for accuracy entering it in MFP, taking a whole wheat bread type entry in the database and figuring it's close enough.

I love bread making, though I only eat one slice per day to keep within my carb limits. But the first slice of a fresh loaf, just out of the oven, is always for me, the baker! I learned to bake the hard way, by baking the same pain de campagne over and over again. It's practice and keeping notes of how you're baking that will teach you. Such an enjoyable process. And with the rise and "stretch and fold" method, or by using pre-ferments, it will not take much of your time either.

SimplyDeLish, http://www.weekendbakery.com is a great online resource!