sort of new

doratobias85
doratobias85 Posts: 2
edited September 27 in Introduce Yourself
hello im sort of new, i joined fitness pal about a month or so ago and never introduced myself. So i just wanted to say hello and my name is dora, i am 25 and learning as i go to lose weight. so far i enjoy using fitness pal but i do have some questions does anyone know what is a safe amount of calories to burn in a week?

Replies

• gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    listen to your body!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    The standard weight loss recommendation is 500 calories under your maintenance caloric intake (just reduce 500 calories from your normal food) and burn an extra 500 calories through your daily activities including exercise.
  • ridiculyss
    ridiculyss Posts: 108 Member
    Hi Dora! Welcome to the community! :)

I'm not certain of how many calories exactly is safe to lose per week, but I do know that it's not really recommended to lose more than about 1-2 pounds per week. That's a drastic change your body may not be able to adjust properly to. For an idea of how much 1 pound is calorie wise, 1 lb = 3500 calories. That looks like eating merely 500 calories a day for 7 days a week. Without burning off any of those calories a person could gain a pound by the end of the week. (500 cal x 7 days = 3500 calories = 1 lb)

The best way to go about losing weight is not simply in just eating less and dieting, but also in being regularly active.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like! :)
This discussion has been closed.