How do you get past the no loss hump?!

Options
I've been dieting and exercising regularly but it seems i hit that no weight loss hump. I lost a quick 6 pounds which was clearly water weight and now for the past 3 days absolutely nothing! I can't seem to lose anymore. Anyone have any advice for breaking through the wall?!

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Set your goal for what you want to loose 1/2 or 1 lb a week. Stick to your goal and try not to go over. That is all you can do.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    you are worried about a no loss over a 3 day period. REALLY?? as it is your weight fluctuates by at least 3 pounds or more a day so no loss in 3 days shouldn't really be a concern.
  • FatDoctor
    FatDoctor Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    patience!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady weight loss is the best for your health and long term success. Keep at it. If you have added weight lifting to your exercise routine, the number on the scale may not drop but your body will shrink. Muscle is denser and more compact in your body than fat is.

I have been losing since November 1 and the past 2 months were somewhat of a stall but even with my weight loss slowing, I have dropped 6 pounds. I still have a ways to go, but I know I am doing the right thing by eating well and exercising.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    weight yourself ONCE a week
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    patience!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    you are worried about a no loss over a 3 day period. REALLY?? as it is your weight fluctuates by at least 3 pounds or more a day so no loss in 3 days shouldn't really be a concern.

I agree.

I haven't lost or gained in 6 weeks...now that is a true plateau!
  • DTatum
    DTatum Posts: 15
    Options
    3 days is no big deal. You should only weigh ONE day a week, try to weigh first thing in the morning and at the same time each week if possible. You will hit plateaus during your weight loss journey. The fix is to add something to your workout. If you workout 3 days a week and only do a mile each time with a little here and there strength training, you body will eventually get used to this workout and it will become a 'normal' activity. Bump it up to 2 miles each time and add some inclination to it. Just push yourself to go a little further and do a little more.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Step away from the darn scale! I find that I lose the most weight when I step away from the scale and don't stress over every pound I do or don't lose.
  • amanda07425
    amanda07425 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    yeh, i guess i have a hard time not weighing myself everyday! i just really like to see results knowing that my hard work is actually paying off! plus i'm going to the beach in less than a month.. so i'm trying to kick it into overdrive!! thanks for everyones comments and advice, i appreciate it!!
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    Step away from the darn scale! I find that I lose the most weight when I step away from the scale and don't stress over every pound I do or don't lose.

Agreed! Seriously, put the scale in the closet and don't even look at it for at least a week. This is not only a physical game, this is also a mental game. Try focusing on how exercise and eating well makes you feel for a while instead of the number on the scale. I hope you get to feel a weight lifted off your shoulders bit by bit. There could be a million reasons why you're experiencing this...just keep going...this stuff works.
  • tannaleigh
    tannaleigh Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I weight myself everyday as well... its totally not healthy... but it just keeps me in check. when I see the scale bump up a bit, I can go back and see what I ate, and adjust (its usually mor sodium, or a day full of carbs)

I find if I spend a day eating full calories, but very little carbs, I'll have a nice loss. And I hate eating after 6pm, I never lose anything overnight that way.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    yeh, i guess i have a hard time not weighing myself everyday! i just really like to see results knowing that my hard work is actually paying off! plus i'm going to the beach in less than a month.. so i'm trying to kick it into overdrive!! thanks for everyones comments and advice, i appreciate it!!

I hear ya.. I feel the same esp with summer right around the corner!
    Another thing I can suggest, try weighing yourself before you eat anything.. like right after you get up. I find thats when my weight is the most accurate that I actually fluctuate about 2-3 pounds through out the day.