First 5K

Options
2»

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Great job on the 5K and congrats! And for the time, be proud of that! Like I told my wife a couple of weeks ago, even if you finish a race last, you finish the race which is better than not finishing at all...and even that is better than never starting!
    I'm a C25K grad too, and I can't say enough good about the program! I could barely run those 60 second stretches in week one and thought I would die, this morning I ran my first 10K...so it works!
    Great job again!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I could barely run those 60 second stretches in week one and thought I would die, this morning I ran my first 10K...so it works!
    Fantastic. Congrats, and thanks for the encouragement!
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am just starting week 7 of C25k, I redid run 2 of week 6 after I finished my body attack class yesterday just for fun. I never imagined I would do a run just for fun and certainly not after doing a 50 minute high intensity work out class!!
  • jam3114
    jam3114 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well done - it really is a great achievement & gives you such a high to keep going.
    I've done one 5k & then went hell for leather for my first 10k two weeks later.
    Finding them tough but my mantra is 'don't stop don't stop' :happy: I probably look like some nutter talking to myself but hey if it gets me to the end :blushing:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I never imagined I would do a run just for fun and certainly not after doing a 50 minute high intensity work out class!!
    I used to see runners, and think that perhaps they were crazy. Now that I am a runner (a beginner, but still a runner), I KNOW that they are crazy -- and it's WONDERFUL! :smile:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I've done one 5k & then went hell for leather for my first 10k two weeks later.
    Amazing! Congrats!
    Finding them tough but my mantra is 'don't stop don't stop' :happy: I probably look like some nutter talking to myself but hey if it gets me to the end :blushing:
    Hey, whatever works, sister.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your success story. I plan to be there myself soon. I am going easy on the running... my trainer says not to rush into prolonged running to avoid injuries to the ligements or whatever... but when he gives the me the green light I am going to go for it a lot harder.

Right now I am doing HIIT on a treadmill three times a week. Run 6mph on a 10% incline for 60 seconds... walk 3mph on 3% for 60, back and forth for 20 minutes. According to the trainer that should really help me with long distance running when my body is ready... I guess we'll find out.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - you've taken your first step into a larger world. So - what's next?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Congratulations - you've taken your first step into a larger world. So - what's next?
    At least five 5Ks before winter, getting a finish time under 35 minutes. Long term? 10K, baby.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    At least five 5Ks before winter, getting a finish time under 35 minutes. Long term? 10K, baby.

Good luck. I'm loving 10k now - its a great distance - doesn't take too long out of your day to train for it (well under an hour now) and you can work at speed or cruise and still feel like you've done a good workout. 5K is still my 'go to' distance when I'm travelling for work - I do this most days now. Feels great.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Congrats! I became a runner this year myself. After finishing C25K I ran my first 5K this month and have my second 5K at the end of the month. Running can be so freeing.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!