Rate of Weight Loss

Options
Hi

I read a book by Tom Venuto which says you should only decrease your calories by a max of 20% of your BMR x 1.2 (if you have a sedentary job) so BMR 1868 x 1.2 for sendentary lifestyle = 2241 - 20% = 1793

I have 90 LB's to lose and on the 2LB per week schedule this only gives me 1330 calories which for me i would be hungry a lot on that so what i plan to do is to stick to the Tom Venuto calorie definition which would technically put me at just over a 1LB per week weight loss but not eat the excercise calories as that would be like following the 2LB Per week plan and eating half of my exercise calories. This way it doesnt seem so daunting?!?!

I do 3 x 2 hour gym sessions most weeks and run on the alternate days so my exercise cals would be approx 6710

The real problem with that is that for example this week i will only have burned off 4740 as i have meetings etc.

I do have loads to lose and would appreciate any advice as i feel a bit lost at the moment, i welcome advice especially from those were in a similar boat and have lost all or lots of their weight.

My main problem areas with food are i love wine, pasta, fillet steak etc the odd bar of chocolate but mainly the wine grrr (why are all the bad things so tasty :) )

I am 5 ft 10 and aged 32.

Many Thanks

TSD :smile:

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    of course everyone thinks they will be starving on a minimal amount of calories---and you will---but you will get used to it and you will overcome it!!! Its all a part of the process.
  • wannabskinny85
    Options
    Hi

I read a book by Tom Venuto which says you should only decrease your calories by a max of 20% of your BMR x 1.2 (if you have a sedentary job.

Technically this would give me a calorie allowance of 1792 per day, i have 90 LB's to lose and on the 2LB per week schedule this only gives me 1330 calories which for me i would be hungry a lot on that.

What i plan to do is to stick to the Tom Venuto calorie definition which would technically put me at just over a 1LB per week weight loss but not eat the excercise calories which basically takes me to 2LB loss anyway but is not so psychologically daunting.

I do have loads to lose and would appreciate any advice as i feel a bit lost at the moment, i welcome advice especially from those were in a similar boat and have lost all or lots of their weight.

I am 5 ft 10 and aged 32.

Many Thanks

TSD

Good luck on your journey. I understand I have a lot to lose also and eating 1300 calories a day and I weight 230 lbs was making me very sick. I upped my calories and stopped eating back my exercise calories which has always worked for me. With having a lot to lose eating back exercise calories is not always a must for everyone. You know your body, it sounds like a great plan and I am rooting for you!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You won't be as hungry as you think if you make sure to drink lots of water, eat lots and lots of fresh vegies and try to get some protein at every meal. I believe we need more protein than this site recommends. Fish and chicken are high in protein and lower in fat and calories. Hot green tea (I like Mint Green tea) helps to keep you full too. Eat little meals often so you never have a chance to get hungry. You can do it!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I started 2 weeks ago. I had 140 lbs to lose and I'm down by 15 lbs. If you want to lose faster, increase your cardio to one hour daily. Eat when your hungry but make the meals small. Spread your calories throughout the day. My goal generated by the website for 2lbs a week was 1980. I've been eating around 1400 to 1600. I'm not hungry because I eat when I get hungry. I either divide up meals or snack on low cal foods. I burn 742 calories a night on Wii boxing. I've lost at the rate a half pound to two half pounds daily. The great thing about the site is it is easy to manipulate what you are doing to get the results that you want. Hang in there! You will be surprised at how easy it really is. I don't deprive myself. I still get sweets when I want them, participate in social functions, and basically do whatever I want. I just live by moderation and exercise!! Hope this helps. I'll see you on the otherside of that 90lbs. :wink:
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a lot of protein. It keeps you fuller, but be sure to drink a lot of no calorie drinks (water is best) in order to flush out waste especially on a high protein diet.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    She's right - I still have almost 100 pounds to lose and I generally end up eating between 1,500 and 1,600 and my goal calories is 1,800... 1,300 sounds rough (and it is in some ways) but it really is amazing HOW much food you can eat depending on your choices...
    If you are interested - I found that Greek Yogurt, Protein Powder, or adding (no salt) red kidney beans to salads is a great boost in protein for (over all) very little calories - keeps me full for hours too! Also Broccoli is only 25 calories a serving and an ENTIRE can of no salt green beans is 70....
    It will get better - I promise, it sucks to hear that I know, I hated hearing it at first and yet I'm glad I did, because I stuck with it for about a week which is when I realized that I could pull off a lower cal...
    My initial weight loss started at 389 - and I was (VERY Inappropriately) eating 1,200 calories a day because that was the most restrictive thing I could find... After a week I had trouble jumping up to where I was supposed to be because I had already gotten used to the lower intake..

Hang in there - I TOTALLY believe you can do it!!!
  • thesingingdork
    Options
    Hi

Sorry i am a little confused (it doesnt take much today i can tell you)

Should i put it right down to 2LB's per week do you think? ooh the harshness of 1300 calories LOL? Or perhaps put myself in as lightly active and not eat the excercise cals what to do?

Thanks again
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    It probably isn't as difficult to maintain 1300 calories as you think it is. But you probably want to revisit that whole process. It's possible you may have entered a number incorrectly.
  • thesingingdork
    Options
    I have just had a look and put myself in as lightly active as i am out most days exercising and this gives me 1520 which is manageable.

I am going to start that from today!