GASTRIC BYPASS

Options
I have met people who have had gastric bypass and loved the results. I also know one who has had a lot of complications due to the surgery and, although she did lose the weight she wanted to, she said the side effects were not worth it.

Have you done this and what is your experience? If you haven't had it, would you if it were available to you?

Just curious, not judging anyone.

Replies

• paulhood
    paulhood Posts: 30
    Options
    I posted the following in my Newbie Post. I hope it helps:

Well, this is my last shot. I have been doing this weight loss "thing" over and over and over. I have done so many different diets that I think I should qualify as a dietician. I say this is the last shot because my work just switched health insurance carriers and the new one covers bariatric services. I immediately started investigating more about these options and honestly they just don't sit right with me, but if I keep up what I'm doing now I won't be sitting much longer. I'll be laying down taking a dirt nap!

I think that people who think that bariatric methods are the easy way out should look in to what it takes to commit to something like that and it is something that is A LIFETIME CHANGE and there is no real backing out. You make a lifestyle change to exercise, but if you want to take a day off, you can. If you want to take a day off from a gastric bypass or band, think again. There are no days off. That is the MAIN reason why I am doing this. Other reasons: I have seen the surgeries fail and people gain weight back (yes it was their fault for eating too much sugar or drinking too much water to dilute the food more but if there's a cheat to be had I will do it!!), I know a man who had two people in his family die on the table during the surgery (and he still did it anyway, lost a bunch, gained 85% back and is now trying to lose it again doing well too), I know a woman who had bypass done and could not STOP losing weight so they had to do a reversal and the excess skin from losing weight so rapidly became infected and she had to have drains on her arms and legs for months. She has gained all of her weight back and has given up. The majority of her family (like 90%) die by the age of fifty something so before she turned 50 she had the surgery and almost died anyway! Okay, so these are only a few that failed out of millions that succeeded so why am I so nervous? I don't know, but I am.

So…..

Not only are these services now covered but the monthly premiums went down significantly and I am taking the savings and hiring a person trainer for as long as I can see and feel results and believe it's working. (Sorry A.T., I don't mean anything personal by that comment. I know you can and will help, it's just going to be up to me to commit and that's where I usually lose myself.) My PT suggested this site so I can print out/show reports and info for tracking progress. I also have a device like they use on Biggest Loser (I believe they call them body bugs) and I use that to better track my calories burned during workouts and my sleep patterns since I am on a CPAP (for now!). The device works, but it is expensive and if I could do it again I probably would not buy it again. You also have to pay for a subscription to get the data.

I have done the diet and exercise regiment before and lost 70lbs. I decided at that point to go at it on my own and give up the nutritionist. Big mistake. I gained it all back. It took a while, but I did it! The good thing is that I didn't gain any extra like I usually do.

Today was my first session with my PT and I think someone put out a hit on my life because I thought I was going to die! I made it through most of it and almost tossed my cookies. After the 30 minutes with the PT I was instructed to do cardio at a good heart rate for me for at least 45 minutes to an hour. I did 50 minutes. And all that after nearly losing it 30 minutes before that.

I live in Virginia in rural town in the outer DC metro area. If you want to send friend requests by all means do so. We all need support.

So that's all about me.
  • Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi! I AM having the bypass operation in a few months. Here is a website you can go to to get a ton of information.
    centralmainebariatric

Also go to youtube and do a search, lots of videos of people that have had it done.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    For some people, it may be their only hope. But the only person, in real life, I've ever known to have it had serious complications from it, had a heart attack, and died. It was my best friend's dad, and it was very sad.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I actually qualify for this in the UK under the NHS service, I was on the list for a time and then decided to be brave and try and do it myself.

I figured that being dependant on supplements all my life, and having to limit what I ate and drank and when to an extreme wasn't worth it. Holidays and insurance would be a nightmare and it's life changing. You have a 1/100 chance of dying on the table too.

Also, and just personally, it felt like I'd be cheating, I knew none of my family would approve. So I have lost 33lbs naturally and still have over 100 to go but I am going to achieve it myself without medical help.
  • crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    at my heaviest 386... i wanted to have this done bad, i thought this was the only way. insurance wouldn't approve me because i was to fat. several years went by....takin 10 plus pills a day with diabetes, high blood pressure (i could go on) i bascially woke up one day and said i hate who i see in the mirror and i'm gonna do something about it. i joined a gym, went everyday after i got a workout routine under my belt i changed my eating habits. today i am 170 pounds lighter without the surgery.....

so what i'd like you and everyone else to know is that you CAN do it without the surgery. its not easy by any means, BUT IT CAN BE DONE ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT A TRAINER OR SURGERY ETC., with research and determination ya'll can do whatever you want.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've never had this, although I know people who have. What I've ALWAYS been told is that if people followed the strict diet that you have to follow after the gastric, BEFORE the surgery, they wouldn't need it at all.

Gastric is definitely NOT the easy way out. It's VERY tough (or so i've seen & heard). It's a very strict diet that you're on afterwards that you cannot sway from. No pop, no carbonation, no alcohol, limited food, etc. It's very rough.

If I were in a situation where I needed to lose a large amount of weight, I personally would never go the surgery route simply because I wouldn't want to give up the sweets and treats as much as I would have to on the diet following the surgery. I like having a pop here and there, I like to have alcohol here and there, and I like to have days where I overeat just to spoil myself. This type of thing isn't allowed after the surgery if you want it to be successful. It's so limited, and I know that I could NOT follow that for the rest of my life. Definitely not for me, however, I've seen people have great success. It's really personal choice.
  • kittyloo123
    kittyloo123 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    i know 3 people who have had them. It seems that the weight comes off. Usually too much, as they try to change their eating habits. and 2 of them have been slowly gaining it back. The eating habits didn't change that much. Just the amounts. The other girl has had lots of complications. It's only been a year of so for her though. The story is, the weight will come off, but if you don't change what you are eating, it will come back.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had GPS over 4 years ago. THE BEST thing I ever did. I now have an 8 month old (at the age of 39 had my "first" baby, FYI my first child is adopted). I lost over 200 pounds!

Surgery is NOT an easy way out. You will forever have to be diligent of your food, vitamins, etc. The bonus of surgery is that we now have a "tool" to assist when before we did not.

The 20-30 poounds I put on while pregnant is why I am on MFP now. I do have before and after pic on my profile...you can always add me as a friend...not sure if my profile is set to public or not.
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had the Vertical Sleeve done January 5 2011. My sister in law got it done the year before me, She lost 65 lbs and is now a size 5!
    So Far I've lost 61 lbs and still have another 60 to lose. But I can fit my grad dress again.
    when I had on the 5th, I was discharged on the 7th and went shopping, My stomach was very Sore because I did have 5 small Deep cuts and was a little Tired but was pretty good.
    And it's still alot of work. I never thought once it would get easier.
    I run 4 miles on the elliptical daily, I drink tons of 0 calories drinks or water, And I count calories. But the Counting of calories doesn't really Count. I count calories because I only let myself have a certain amount of calories. though there are some days where i do something special.
    I love my Sleeve. It was the Best Money I ever Spent.
  • jackieaird
    jackieaird Posts: 2
    Options
    Well, i have several people in my family to have it. I considered it at one point. But, unfortunate for me, my insurance does not cover the surgery. Majority of the people i know that had the surgery has put on a least one half of the weight back. That's scarry for me because, i often wonder why? Well to me it's a life style change period....No if, ands and butts. you have to change your whole mind set. it's just not about losing the weight. It's about healthy eating, diet and exercise. I am glad to say that i didn't lose any of my love one from the surgery. but, i think i will and can do better. Come out a little cheaper just by dieting and exercising. Nothing worth doing is ever easy...but its the end results...its time for a change.
  • fcrisswell
    Options
    Note: The diet after surgery is strict but as time goes on you will learn what you can and cannot tolerate. I can have wine, but get "drunk" after 2 glasses. I do not eat pasta or rice becasue 1. they are empty calories anyway and 2. the stop up my stoma and make me sick. I can tolerate sugar in limited amounts. I have not had to give up chocolate LOL...not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

It is going to be different for EVERYONE. What I can tolerate, you may not be able to. What you can, I may not. IT all depends on how much is bypassed, and how large your puch and stoma is made by your surgeon. My surgeon does not want you drinking caffiene or carbonated beverage but others don't put a limi on it. I do have a diet coke occassionaly but often. And, yes, I love my coffee. Not saying it is ok to break the rules, but, everyone can tolerate different things.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    For some people, it may be their only hope. But the only person, in real life, I've ever known to have it had serious complications from it, had a heart attack, and died. It was my best friend's dad, and it was very sad.

I also had a friend die (27 years old) from complications of gastric surgery. It's terribly sad :(
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I've never had this, although I know people who have. What I've ALWAYS been told is that if people followed the strict diet that you have to follow after the gastric, BEFORE the surgery, they wouldn't need it at all.

Gastric is definitely NOT the easy way out. It's VERY tough (or so i've seen & heard). It's a very strict diet that you're on afterwards that you cannot sway from. No pop, no carbonation, no alcohol, limited food, etc. It's very rough.

If I were in a situation where I needed to lose a large amount of weight, I personally would never go the surgery route simply because I wouldn't want to give up the sweets and treats as much as I would have to on the diet following the surgery. I like having a pop here and there, I like to have alcohol here and there, and I like to have days where I overeat just to spoil myself. This type of thing isn't allowed after the surgery if you want it to be successful. It's so limited, and I know that I could NOT follow that for the rest of my life. Definitely not for me, however, I've seen people have great success. It's really personal choice.

I think the surgery replaces the will power that a lot of people miss. Yes, you could follow the deit they have to be on without the surgery, but woulld you stay on it? As I see it, the surgery is like having a "diet sargent", it makes you do what you otherwise probably wouldn't on your own.
  • Breckgirl
    Options

I also had a friend die (27 years old) from complications of gastric surgery. It's terribly sad :(

That's the scariest part. So sorry for your lose.:heart:
  • Breckgirl
    Options

That's the scariest part. So sorry for your lose.:heart:
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I had gastric by pass 9/21/11. It is not an easy way out it is a tool to help you achieve your goals of weight loss! It is a total life style change, not just body but your mind as well. I had a few complications after surgery, and a few months to follow. But today I sit here typing this having lost 94lbs. Not needing my heart, asthma, high blood pressure, and acid reflux medications any longer! I miss being able to eat what I want, and the quantity I want. At meal times I a lucky if I can eat 4-6 oz comfortably. If you over eat you become nauseas or are in excruitiating pain. There is dumping syndrome that can happen with too much sugar intake. Alot of things you just can't tolerate any more. No caffiene, sugar, cabnated drinks, gum, coconut, smoking they all create damage to the pouch. I was an emotional eater. It was hard around the holidays. I thought I was ging to lose my mind cause everything I loved had been taken away. Coca-Cola, coconut peccan frosting, smoking, chocolate. I had to learn how to adapt in situations that made me want to eat since I no longer had my vices to give me that instant gratification. I have known several people that have had the procedure and are doing very well, and have no regrets. One person gave up about 8 months out, which I don't get, you go through all the classes, and tests, the pain, money......You owe to your self to give it a 110%~ One other person has gained it all back and then some but he had his done about 12 years ago. I still have mixed feelings on if I would do it again or not. I knew it would be work, but I idn't think it would be this hard. Maybe if I had a better support system at home things would be easier for me. Yeah....I would do all over again. Because I have gained quality of life, so many things I can do now that I had not been able to do in years. Tie my shoes, no more slip ons, cross my legs, paint my toenails, walk up and down stairs with out gasping for air, carry groceries in to my home, walk 15 miles in the same day, jump up on my counter top and sit! Excerscise longer that 3 minutes, with out the sensation I am going to drop dead! Good luck in your journey! I hope this helps some, feel free to add me as a friend if you would like!
  • fcrisswell
    Options
    It is a scary decision.

It was for me as well. Without going into great detail, my mother also had GBS 10 years ago and ended up with blood glots in her lungs after and passing away in 3 weeks. There are risks to any surgery. Knee replacement, appendix removal, etc. Everyone signs that little waiver prior to any surgery stating the risks.

I still made the decision for myself. I had reached the point of no return. When you take a shower and have to stop to catch your breath...when walking thru Walmart you have to stop at the bench to rest, when the stores do not sell a clothing large enough to fit you...

I was either going to die slowly or die trying. I am still here though! And, actually living my life now instead of letting it pass me by.
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    Hi! I AM having the bypass operation in a few months. Here is a website you can go to to get a ton of information.
    centralmainebariatric

Also go to youtube and do a search, lots of videos of people that have had it done.

Which type are you having?
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    I posted the following in my Newbie Post. I hope it helps:

Well, this is my last shot. I have been doing this weight loss "thing" over and over and over. I have done so many different diets that I think I should qualify as a dietician. I say this is the last shot because my work just switched health insurance carriers and the new one covers bariatric services. I immediately started investigating more about these options and honestly they just don't sit right with me, but if I keep up what I'm doing now I won't be sitting much longer. I'll be laying down taking a dirt nap!

I think that people who think that bariatric methods are the easy way out should look in to what it takes to commit to something like that and it is something that is A LIFETIME CHANGE and there is no real backing out. You make a lifestyle change to exercise, but if you want to take a day off, you can. If you want to take a day off from a gastric bypass or band, think again. There are no days off. That is the MAIN reason why I am doing this. Other reasons: I have seen the surgeries fail and people gain weight back (yes it was their fault for eating too much sugar or drinking too much water to dilute the food more but if there's a cheat to be had I will do it!!), I know a man who had two people in his family die on the table during the surgery (and he still did it anyway, lost a bunch, gained 85% back and is now trying to lose it again doing well too), I know a woman who had bypass done and could not STOP losing weight so they had to do a reversal and the excess skin from losing weight so rapidly became infected and she had to have drains on her arms and legs for months. She has gained all of her weight back and has given up. The majority of her family (like 90%) die by the age of fifty something so before she turned 50 she had the surgery and almost died anyway! Okay, so these are only a few that failed out of millions that succeeded so why am I so nervous? I don't know, but I am.

So…..

Not only are these services now covered but the monthly premiums went down significantly and I am taking the savings and hiring a person trainer for as long as I can see and feel results and believe it's working. (Sorry A.T., I don't mean anything personal by that comment. I know you can and will help, it's just going to be up to me to commit and that's where I usually lose myself.) My PT suggested this site so I can print out/show reports and info for tracking progress. I also have a device like they use on Biggest Loser (I believe they call them body bugs) and I use that to better track my calories burned during workouts and my sleep patterns since I am on a CPAP (for now!). The device works, but it is expensive and if I could do it again I probably would not buy it again. You also have to pay for a subscription to get the data.

I have done the diet and exercise regiment before and lost 70lbs. I decided at that point to go at it on my own and give up the nutritionist. Big mistake. I gained it all back. It took a while, but I did it! The good thing is that I didn't gain any extra like I usually do.

Today was my first session with my PT and I think someone put out a hit on my life because I thought I was going to die! I made it through most of it and almost tossed my cookies. After the 30 minutes with the PT I was instructed to do cardio at a good heart rate for me for at least 45 minutes to an hour. I did 50 minutes. And all that after nearly losing it 30 minutes before that.

I live in Virginia in rural town in the outer DC metro area. If you want to send friend requests by all means do so. We all need support.

So that's all about me.

I think it would need to be the last thing I try. I just have 0 motivation. I need a PT to move in with me! :laugh:
  • Breckgirl
    Options
    It is a scary decision.

It was for me as well. Without going into great detail, my mother also had GBS 10 years ago and ended up with blood glots in her lungs after and passing away in 3 weeks. There are risks to any surgery. Knee replacement, appendix removal, etc. Everyone signs that little waiver prior to any surgery stating the risks.

I still made the decision for myself. I had reached the point of no return. When you take a shower and have to stop to catch your breath...when walking thru Walmart you have to stop at the bench to rest, when the stores do not sell a clothing large enough to fit you...

I was either going to die slowly or die trying. I am still here though! And, actually living my life now instead of letting it pass me by.

How brave you are to lose your mom and do the surgery anyway! What did your family say to that?