The DL on running...

Options
Hi Guys & Gals,

I used to be an active member on here, but 'life' decided to throw it's usual punches & cut in so I lost my way a little, but now I am back & trying to lose 41lbs.

I have recently started running again (if you can call it that), and I was looking for some useful breathing techniques some of you may have. This is the only area so far I am finding I struggle with. My legs are nice & strong from snowboarding & biking and such but my breathing leaves alot to be desired. So if any of you can offer some tips it would be greatly appreciated...

Replies

• road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ohhhh, me too me too! That's my total downfall.
  • mamamadonna
    mamamadonna Posts: 99
    Options
    Maybe try throwing a little yoga into your schedule. It helps you focus your breathing in many activities. And welcome back :smile:
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    start slow. if your legs are strong, you may be pushing the pace faster than your lungs can catch up. Good luck!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give you on breathing right is this:

Deep, FULL breaths where your stomach expands, (if your chest is the only thing expanding, you're doing it wrong.) Perform burst running. Run until you are out of breath and getting a "stitch in the side" and then back it off until you catch your breath. Rinse and repeat.

Do NOT stay at high speed when you are out of breath, you need to catch your breath. The reason for this is because when you are out of breath, your muscles are oxygen deprived, and are being broken down if you continue using them at the same level. Backing off in speed allows you to let them recover a little bit while you gain your breath back.

Over time, you will get to where it takes longer for you to lose your wind.

(Note: I say "Out of Breath", but that's just because being out of breath is the easiest way to tell when your heart rate is too high and your muscles are out of oxygen)

*** EDIT *** Just a note I want to add, be careful about the advice you take. People will give you advice like "Keep on pushing through the pain" and "Pain is weakness leaving the body". They are wrong. Pain is your body saying something is wrong. Overdoing it can easily be the downfall of a successful losing streak. If you get injured, you cannot continue, so keep it slow and controlled. It shouldn't be easy, but you shouldn't feel like passing out afterward either.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to slow down. Make sure you are at a "conversational pace" such that you can carry on a chat without huffing and puffing.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    My breathing technique may not be the best, but it works pretty well for me. I time my breathing with my foot falls and breathe in for 3 and out for 3. That way I get in a rythm and my mind is focused. Otherwise I'd get so out of breath really fast. Good luck, and welcome back! :)
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My best technique is to build that aerobic fitness slowly and to run at a pace where you CAN breathe without too much trouble - don't run too fast at first! If you get winded, take a walk break. Or follow a plan like C25K that builds aerobic fitness with increasingly long intervals. It is surprising how quickly aerobic capacity can increase.
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If I feel my breathing getting out of hand--I slow my breathing by counting. One breath in for two strides, one breath out for two strides, etc. You will just have to find the 'count' that works for you. Over time your body will get used to it--just have to re-train it!

Good Luck!
  • riacurtis
    riacurtis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My breathing technique may not be the best, but it works pretty well for me. I time my breathing with my foot falls and breathe in for 3 and out for 3. That way I get in a rythm and my mind is focused. Otherwise I'd get so out of breath really fast. Good luck, and welcome back! :)

I agree with this. it works for me.
  • diembroadhurst
    Options
    Try and keep deep even breathes when running. If you find yourself getting really out of breath - slow down your pace until you can regulate your breathing and then pick up the pace once you have it in control. You should be able to hold a conversation when running, if you can't and you are not in a race or interval training to increase your pace overall then you are probably running too fast for a normal comfortable run. Sometimes when you are not comfortable with the pace you end up breathing quicker - if you want to keep the pace fast then you need to concentrate on slowing that breathing down. Hope that helps.
  • Bethy25
    Bethy25 Posts: 73
    Options
    I recently started the Couch to 5 K. I am on week 3. The British Lady in my podcast tells you to time your breathing with your steps. So as you are running count your steps... She says for every 4 strides breath in and then 4 strides breath out. With my "panting" it seems more like 2 strides in 2 strides out, but that actually has helped. If that makes any sense?!
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    Start off slow, but remember you will only improve if you challenge yourself. Try intervals. Run 2 minutes at a relaxed speed and :30 seconds harder. Before long, your lungs will get much stronger!
  • DaniSee
    DaniSee Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone!

I think some of you hit the nail on the head with thinking because my legs are strong, I am trying to push myself to hard to start, therefore killing my lungs off to early since they are not as 'seasoned' as my legs!

I will put into practice all your hints & tips and report back this evening. I am actually quite excited to go for a run this evening!
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Till my foot started having issues (falling arches) I was doing the whole pacing your breaths with your steps I think I was in 4 out 4. I really does help like everyone is saying also people have mentioned pace yourself try using c25k method. I was and didn't even know it till I checked out what everyone was talking about. I had gotten up to a 3 minute jog without being winded.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    The military does formation runs to cadence for this reason. Try downloading some to your iPod.