Wedding Center Pieces, Opinions!

Options
2»

Replies

• millygrl
    millygrl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds wonderful. At weddings I always find the decor so impersonal and by no means a reflection of the couple. It is also so nice that it is something both of you like. I think that it sounds like a wonderful way to start off your marriage : )
  • AllieCatNeal
    Options
    It's YOUR wedding do what you want! I think it's a super cute, inventive way to make the wedding about the two of you and not a cookie cutter wedding. Just a tip, I don't know what your wedding budget is or how many tables you're planning, but since Build a Bear is kind of expensive you might want to look online for bulk teddy bears and bulk shirts and maybe add a pennant to the arrangement that you could make yourselves if the bear's shirts end up too small to fit the names and numbers on them.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Ya know what? STAY AWAY FROM THE KNOT! People are mean and competitive on there. Many women on The Knot forums are rude and petty about other people's ideas. I don't even bother getting on there to get opinions. It just upsets me and makes me want to eat!

I think your idea is adorable!

For my wedding, we are having a "country shotgun wedding" theme. And we are having it in my parent's backyard. So you can imagine what the jerks over at The Knot would have to say.

My dad has built fake barn facades to cover the two sheds in his backyard and then we've gotten round table tops and are covering them with old burlap sacks that have been cut up and placing them on top of red oak barrels to make the tables. Our lights are actually a variety of old jars we bought at a second hand shop and filled with crushed pine cones and then we got those little flickering fake tea light candles and put those inside. They are attached to the stairs and porch with jute twine.

Our centerpieces are a modgepodge. I took every flower Chris ever gave me and dried it. So then I bought old pitchers and vases and buckets and containers and arranged the flowers in them. And then we've found some cute little antique trinkets that we're going to put on all of the tables as well. Like an old handmade oil lamp that we got for $1.50 in a second hand store. I have been studying museology and I guessed it's probably from the 40s...so that was awesome!

Instead of a guest book, we are printing up small note cards that say "in 1 year" "in 5 years" "in 10 years" and "in 50 years" on the fronts and having the guests write us well wishes for our major anniversaries. We found, again in a second hand shop, an old dark brown, mottled picnic basket made from river reed branches and that's what we are asking them to put them in.

We're having the guests place gifts in an old flower cart/wagon and gift cards and money will go in either a wishing well (that we are borrowing) or in an old antique mail box...we are still trying to decide.

For our food, we are serving apple juice, apple cider and apple beer. We are having a fruit tray with summer fruits. We are also doing our own belgian waffle line--blueberry, choco chip and regular. We are having smores bars, a fanciful Italian mascarpone cracker that I make and we are having a chocolate fountain, but instead we are running barbecue sauce through it and giving people warmed lil weenies and cheese cubes to dip in it!!!

We are also having a photo booth for our guests and some of my best friends are in a professional performance hula hooping group and they are coming to hula hoop. And YES, I will be throwing on a hula hoop over my wedding dress and taking a few spins with them in front of my guests! And ya know?! I don't give a hoot what anybody thinks because it is MY WEDDING! :-)

So there you have it. Lots of people think our wedding theme and everything we're doing is stupid. And I say "SHUT THE F UP!" Because it's MY wedding and not theirs!

And so I think you need to take that same approach to this situation. And you also need to post a blog post about it so we can all see your pictures!!!

Oh PS--One of my very best friends had a major thing for rainbows and balloons. She also loved brownies and pizza hut pizza. At her wedding reception, the line was under a 100-balloon arch in rainbow colors. Her cake was a cupcake tower and each cupcake had a small plastic balloon on top with rainbow sprinkles. They served chocolate brownies, root beer floats (for the groom) and pizza hut pizza to their guests. And ya know what? It was TOTALLY THEM! And they had sooooo much fun. It was everything they wanted and dreamed of.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine did a Steeler's themed wedding. She used player numbers in black and gold as center pieces, Steeler goody bags for the guests, black and gold decor for the entire thing including the bridesmaids and whatever the name is for the groom's guys...itys a cute idea!!!! It would be too expensive to have it at Wrigley right??? Usually is!!!
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    They aren't the huge bears, just the $10 bears. They will be standing up so won't take up much room at all, and the vases are skinny so they will actually be pretty skinny center pieces, enough room that our florist is putting votives around as well. We are also giving out the bears to people that come to the wedding, and keeping some of them to give to a children's shelter place here in town.

I love the idea of donating some to a childrens shelter :) I say go for it its a great and unique idea and sounds like its all coming together perfectly.
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine did a Steeler's themed wedding. She used player numbers in black and gold as center pieces, Steeler goody bags for the guests, black and gold decor for the entire thing including the bridesmaids and whatever the name is for the groom's guys...itys a cute idea!!!! It would be too expensive to have it at Wrigley right??? Usually is!!!

That sounds AWESOME! I'm a huge Steelers fan, but fiance is a Bears fan :(

Yes definitely too expensive to have at Wrigley, I did check lol.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

That sounds AWESOME! I'm a huge Steelers fan, but fiance is a Bears fan :(

Yes definitely too expensive to have at Wrigley, I did check lol.
    They checked and it was a base of around 75 grand. Not including the dinner which HAD to be catered from aramark and the booze would be more as well.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    My sister is getting married in August, I am IMing her some of ya'lls ideas. You all are going to have great weddings!
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    do whatever you want! it is your wedding!
    I personally like that idea, though I'd go with the Phillies myself! haha

No but in all seriousness.. if you want your center pieces to have a theme with something you both have in common.. GO FOR IT! I've noticed that some of the brides on the knot are very snooty!
    My fiance and I may do a disney theme for the placecards and tables. just flowers w something disney on them and name the tables. Disney couples (aladdin & Jasmine table, a beauty and the beast table, etc etc) so I'm sure people think that is lame but I don't care , we love Disney and are going there for the honey moon!!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't even ask! Do what you want and surprise everyone when they get there. You will always have someone who doesn't agree but they can't disagree if they don't know. Keep it to yourself if your really don't want others negative opinions.