How do you tell?

Options
....if your goal measurements are accurate for your body? I would really love to be a size 8 but I've never been that before and I just don't know if it's possible to get down that far... I don't want to get discouraged because I set my goal too low... The lowest I've ever been (healthy) is a 12 or a 14 in the hips, plus my hip bones are pretty widely built; if I press on my hips I can feel the bone, and I'm at a size 16 (44 inches) right now... Should I keep my goal at 8 or is that too low?

Replies

• SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you can do anything you put your heart into lots of cardio and weight lifting and make sure you keep changing up your routine so that your body doesn't get use to the exercise
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm just over 5 feet tall and I wear a size 6 or an 8, but I DON'T look really skinny. Naturally, your BMI is what you want to have in a healthy range.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are totally arbitrary. Shoot for a healthy or athletic body fat percent, and then just buy whatever clothes fit at that level.
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    you can do anything you put your heart into lots of cardio and weight lifting and make sure you keep changing up your routine so that your body doesn't get use to the exercise

Just for clarification, that's not what I was asking... I meant with my hips built so wide, is it physically possible for them to be that small.
  • nuttylou
    nuttylou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I disagree actually! I am a size 18-20 at the moment and at my lowest I was an 8 which just looked plain stupid as I had bones poking out everywhere!
    I would set your goal at maybe a 12 and see how you feel at a 12, it is not about weight or sizes it is about how you personally feel.

Some people carry off an 8 easily others look anorexic x
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I never set much of a goal for myself in terms of size at first. I, like you, had never been smaller than a 12 or 14 and I didn't know what my body was capable of. I had my goal weight of 140, but I had no idea what size that would translate into.

Your body can surprise you. I got down to a size 6, I have the ability to get down to a 4 at this point I think. But I wasn't really sure where I'd end up until partway thru when I was dropping sizes every 2 months. I'd say go for more of a number with weight and see how the sizes follow. I might wear size 6 or 8, but people think I weigh like 130 and fit into a size 4, so it all depends on your proportions.
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm just over 5 feet tall and I wear a size 6 or an 8, but I DON'T look really skinny. Naturally, your BMI is what you want to have in a healthy range.

I'm 5' 2". But I have a medium-largish build and a generous amount of muscle to go with it.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I'd say take it in stages. You said you've been a 12-14 so start with that.

You can't change your bone structure, so work at being a 12 first...thn work down from there.

MAke it back to 12...then shoot for 10. By then you'll get a better sense of your bon structure to know if 8 will work for you or not.

Smaller goals along the way is a better key to accomplishment than one big one.
  • jipper44
    jipper44 Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I have 40" hips/butt and wear an 8 comfortably (now, anyways), if that helps. I think if I got it down to 38" hip as you state in your goals, I would be a 6....but it's the thighs that are keeping me from that at this point. I know it will come eventually if I keep at it.
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    I never set much of a goal for myself in terms of size at first. I, like you, had never been smaller than a 12 or 14 and I didn't know what my body was capable of. I had my goal weight of 140, but I had no idea what size that would translate into.

Your body can surprise you. I got down to a size 6, I have the ability to get down to a 4 at this point I think. But I wasn't really sure where I'd end up until partway thru when I was dropping sizes every 2 months. I'd say go for more of a number with weight and see how the sizes follow. I might wear size 6 or 8, but people think I weigh like 130 and fit into a size 4, so it all depends on your proportions.

The reason I was going with sizes was I've only lost 7 lbs. total so far, but I've dropped a size, so I thought perhaps that was a better representation of what I'm doing... idk though...
  • myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I sound like you in terms of body shape, I have hips (pear shape, small on top, bigger on bottom), and that does play a part in pant size for me...My goal weight is 150. I once weighed 142 and I was settled and happy with that and at that time I wore a 10 and some 12....so 10 was the lowest I got to and was very happy with that and looked great....so the hips were a factor....I hope that helps you!
  • Baileys83
    Baileys83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ah ha the hip thing! I am wondering that too. I don't know my measurements (just moved house n can't find the tape measure!!) but I am a size 12 at the mo weighing !45lb, I am aiming for 135lb at the mo but eventually 128lb and a loose size 10 but since I can feel my hip bones at the moment I don't know if I am being realistic as don't want to look ill with it.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options

I'm 5' 2". But I have a medium-largish build and a generous amount of muscle to go with it.

BMI is jusy an equation and doesn't account for bone density or lean mass. I would highly doubt that your shape would ever fit in the BMI scale. I'm myself am an athlete and training as such, but my BMI says I'm Obese.
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    I'd say take it in stages. You said you've been a 12-14 so start with that.

You can't change your bone structure, so work at being a 12 first...thn work down from there.

MAke it back to 12...then shoot for 10. By then you'll get a better sense of your bon structure to know if 8 will work for you or not.

Smaller goals along the way is a better key to accomplishment than one big one.

Yeah that's what I was wondering... Cause I seem to be dropping a size every 4-5 months now and I thought it would be faster than that if it was ALL fat, you know? But if my bone structure is built wide that would make a lot of sense...
  • alibur85
    alibur85 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I disagree actually! I am a size 18-20 at the moment and at my lowest I was an 8 which just looked plain stupid as I had bones poking out everywhere!
    I would set your goal at maybe a 12 and see how you feel at a 12, it is not about weight or sizes it is about how you personally feel.

Some people carry off an 8 easily others look anorexic x

I went all the way down to a size 4 in college, but I looked so silly!! So my goal is to be a size 7/8. But to be honest, I didn't work on tightening my booty when I got down to a 4, so with that happening this time, I may not look crazy. I'll decide that when I get there. I"m still in 11/12s at the moment :)
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I agree. It is hard to target a clothing size as they are all over the map (I can fit in size 10-14s depending on the maker). I like how you have your goals for weight/hip/waist measurements as those are more accurate measurements. Once you get to that goal you can assess, can/do you want to lose more and go from there! That is waht I am doing. I've targeted a certain weight but once I am there, I am going to see if my body continues to lose doing what I'm doing. Eatling as healthy as I can, exercising like crazy and eliminating as much processed crap out of my diet as possible!
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys, the vibe I'm getting is maybe I shouldn't worry about the "8"... I still want to reduce my size, but I DEFINITELY don't want to look anorexic! I like my curves :smile: So maybe I'll aim for a 12... That's still out of the plus size dept. haha! That's what counts! :laugh:
  • Fidgetferguson
    Fidgetferguson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes are totally arbitrary. For starters they vary greatly from store to store. I can wear an 8 now some places...other places I can barely squeeze into a 14. There are better options to measure. The easiest is obviously weight, but the number that looks and feels best can also be highly personal. BMI is another option, but as stated about doesn't account for lean mass, bone density, etc. You could also take measurements and watch for the inches to drop. Probably the least arbitrary measurement is body fat percentage, though it can be inconvenient to track, as home body fat scales are not all that accurate, and most of us don't have regular access to more accureate methods.

Whichever option you choose to set for your goals, follow the above advice and increment your goals. And be prepared to adjust as time goes on. If you like what you're seeing in the mirror and how you're feeling, then who gives a rat's *kitten* what the number in the waistband of your jeans is.

I personally am using weight as my goal. While I have set an ultimate goal, I have also set mini goals along the way. Goal one is to hit the weight I was at before I got sick, 7 lbs from where I am at now. I will celebrate and reward myself when I hit that number, and then assess and move forward from there.
  • nuttylou
    nuttylou Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Are you in Uk or US hun. what is size difference as Im uk x
  • HaleyAlli
    Options
    Clothing sizes are totally arbitrary. For starters they vary greatly from store to store. I can wear an 8 now some places...other places I can barely squeeze into a 14. There are better options to measure. The easiest is obviously weight, but the number that looks and feels best can also be highly personal. BMI is another option, but as stated about doesn't account for lean mass, bone density, etc. You could also take measurements and watch for the inches to drop. Probably the least arbitrary measurement is body fat percentage, though it can be inconvenient to track, as home body fat scales are not all that accurate, and most of us don't have regular access to more accureate methods.

Whichever option you choose to set for your goals, follow the above advice and increment your goals. And be prepared to adjust as time goes on. If you like what you're seeing in the mirror and how you're feeling, then who gives a rat's *kitten* what the number in the waistband of your jeans is.

I personally am using weight as my goal. While I have set an ultimate goal, I have also set mini goals along the way. Goal one is to hit the weight I was at before I got sick, 7 lbs from where I am at now. I will celebrate and reward myself when I hit that number, and then assess and move forward from there.

Agreed :smile:

I'm in the US.