Cake Design Help!

Options
mlagena
mlagena Posts: 154 Member
Hey, I need to pick someone (everyones!) brain about a baby shower cake I'm doing.
The mother-to-be said she wants a Sleeping Beauty themed cake, but the lady throwing the shower is doing a sort of safari theme with pink/brown zebra print. She asked to tie the cake in, but I have had limited communication with her.
Also, I decided to take a partner for this (which is turning out to be a mistake) and she keeps pushing to do a zebra print Aurora crown. :sick:
Now, I'm NOT awesome at cakes. I just started working with fondant and I'm pretty cool, but not awesome.:glasses:
I'll try to post a pic of the practice cake I made so you can get an idea...
Any ideas are welcome!
230442_546018269338_148700814_31185303_5882086_n.jpg"

Replies

• BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Boob cake. You can NEVER go wrong with a boob cake.
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    Maybe make it a tiara on safari prints and colours. i like the design of the cake, but maybe change the pinks to camos and khakis? sorta "safari-princess"? Lol. Or pink camo? Haha. Maybe add some little sleeping beauty inspired animals? a rope detail should be simple enough to add a safari feel.
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I love the way it looks.. i'd maybe indeed add a print to the dress then to tie it into safari.. it's already pink so just add a ltitle bit of brown and you're good to go. I wouldn't change the crown too much.
  • karamae
    karamae Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Maybe somehow you can do a small zebra or animal print around the crown, like to edge it out? OR do some gems that are animal print. Hope this helps even just a little! Looks like you're pretty stuck with 2 completely different ideas!
  • AccioPancakes
    Options
    Can you add anything to crown? You can use sugar pearls to add "jewels", or dusting sugar to make it sparkle a bit. I like what talysshade said about adding a print to the dress in some sort of safari/animal print theme.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    what about threading zebra print ribbon through the cake holder that you have pictured there?
  • lesliekae
    lesliekae Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How about Anne Geddes style sleeping beauty. You could make both Mom to be and shower host happy. Make the baby the sleeping beauty have the baby dressed as a safari animals.
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I do like the idea of putting the zebra in the skirt... I think since the crown is so iconic of Sleeping Beauty that a print would change the theme.
    lesliekae, I would love to make a baby. lol That's something I'd have to practice a lot. This zebra thing was just sprung on me and the shower is this saturday! (I just realized how dirty all of that sounded! >.<)
    sbwood88, that's a great idea... If we use my stand I think I'll do that!
    AccioPancakes, I have thought about getting some sort of 'sparkling' agent... Aurora's crown has no jewels or anything to it, but shine would be nice. They have some sort of sparkle dust at one of the craft stores, but i've never used it...

This will only be my fourth fondant cake, so I'm real excited.