Whey Protein

Options
mostein
mostein Posts: 200 Member
OK so I just bought some whey protein powder to help increase my protein consumption...now what? How do you guys use it, do you put it in milk, make shakes? AND, when is the best time to use it i.e. before or after a work out?

THANKS!

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I put mine in my omelet, into my yogurt (that may just get eaten then or used in a yogurt /frozen berry type smoothie) to my fruit juice when I'm making a different smoothie.... the one I have isn't flavoured so I haven't just tried it in water or milk itself yet.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I like to drink my protein shake after I work out.....usually just mix mine with water, ice and sometimes a piece of fruit. Sometimes I mix the choc. protein powder with a TBSP of peanut butter, and a Fiber One brownie in the blender for a treat.
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    Options
    protein shakes are better after a workout because they help your muscles! Try mixing it with water unless you are using it for a meal replacement!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yes, after a workout!
  • AceH826
    AceH826 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I use mine in a recipe I found called the Green Monster.

8-10 oz Lite Vanilla Soy Milk
    1tbsp Chia Seeds
    1 Scoop of Protein Whey Powder (I have Vanilla)
    1-2 cups of freshly steamed Spinach
    1 Ripe Banana

Blend, add a couple of cubes of ice and YUMMY! (You'd think the spinach would throw off the taste but it doesn't and it adds valuable nutrients).

I use mine either 2 hours before my workout or right after when the body is wanting protein for muscle repair.

Good luck!
  • Bridge_CG
    Bridge_CG Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I like my whey protein with 6 0z of milk and 60z of water right after I work out!
    I really want to try it in a shake form with a banana, ice, milk, and a bit of peanut butter.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I mix it with milk and pour it on my cereal in the morning instead of just straight milk & cereal. I get the choc version so it tastes like you're having cereal with chocolate milk. :)
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, shakes, smoothies are all great options! If you got vanilla you can also try with crystal light.
  • tidwelljw
    tidwelljw Posts: 146
    Options
    It depends on how much protien you are wanting to consumer per day. For example, I lift 5 days a wek so I take 3 shakes throughout the day along with the protien I eat. One right after a workout, one around 11 am and one bout 30 mins before bed. i would say to mix with water as mixing with milk is extra calories, but the milk usually does make a good treat if you have bee on track with your calories all day.
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I pour whey protein into a glass of milk and mix it with a spoon. I usually drink this in the morning after my Insanity workout. Tastes good and refreshing!
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I just got some today and plan on having some in the morning and then later after my afternoon workout. Not sure if I'll use water or milk yet but will definatly be a shake of some sort
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I bought a shaker that mixes your protein powder....

I generally have one scoop with 200ml of milk and drink after a workout but on days when i know im gonna have a big work out 600-800cals ill have 2 shakes... one before/or at breakfast time and the second after a workout.

:D theres lots of choices. what ever works for you
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I've got a shaker as well, will try water for my breakfast shake, and milk for my second
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I hate whey protein with water... think it tastes soooo nasty. I like it with milk though... yeah I know extra calories but its sooo much tastier but its definitely worth it!
  • irdietinfo
    irdietinfo Posts: 29
    Options
    I have whey protein in a shake for breakfast - mix in some psyllium husk for fiber, I just use water and you can top it up with some coconut cream. I don't use any sweetener. You won't feel hungry until lunchtime!

Yes, it's good to have after a workout too.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I use a chocolate protein powder with powdered milk and put it in a shaker cup that I can take with me to just add water. That way I don't have to keep it refrigerated and can drink it right after my workouts. Protein after a workout helps with muscle growth and repair from the exercise.

I also like to mix vanilla protein powder in with 8 ounces orange juice, 6 strawberries, and a banana to make a breakfast smoothie. By having a mix of protein and carbs at breakfast, you replace the lost glycogen and muscle that is broken down to produce glycogen over night so that you can fuel the brain and other organs.
  • SWgal
    SWgal Posts: 62
    Options
    I use it post workout (within 20minutes) to help recovery.

It is also good with Almond milk.
  • mostein
    mostein Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Just tried mixing it in with my morning yogurt - not enjoyable! I think next time I will try it with milk. Since I am really low in my protein adding it to milk will probably be ok since it only adds 90 calories and a good chunk of protein.
  • lisabel87
    lisabel87 Posts: 152
    Options
    I either mix it with non-fat milk or make a smoothie, I usually make a smoothie with the following:

-half a banana or a whole banana depending on if you like bananas (its a dominant flavor)
    -6 or 7 strawberries
    -a handful of blueberries
    -1 scoop 365 vanilla whey protein powder (buy at whole foods)
    -3 or 4 ice cubes (my blender can't take that much ice)
    -non-fat milk
    -3 or 4 cucumber slices (gives it an even more refreshing taste plus adds more vitamins)

I try and drink this earlier in the day because its high in calorie, even though they are healthy calories! :)
    Happy blending!