Help w/ the last 10-15lbs...

Options
Fellow MFP-ers...I am seeking help/advise on losing those last 10-15lbs. I lost the first 29 fairly quickly in 3.5 months (but not easily) as I did work my butt off. Did lots of cardio and some minor weight training. I am thrilled with the results thus far but I noticed the weight loss is starting to slow down, which I totally expected and was prepared for. What do you recommend to help cut those last 10-15lbs? Or if not lbs...I mainly would like to still lose more inches (lower fat %) etc...and tone up. I've been testing out P90x for the last two weeks and plan to officially start the classic program today...good move???? Also, change up what I eat??? I take in a fair amount of protein, and stay within the carb limit MFP sets, but don't limit it much further than that...do I need to cut that down? Advise Please!!! THX :)

Replies

• RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I'm starting P90x today too. Have you thought about following their nutrition proportions? Not sure how much of a difference it'll actually make, but I'm trying.

PHASE
    GOAL
    PROTEIN CARBS FAT

"PHASE 1 FAT SHREDDER "
    Strengthen muscle and shed excess body fat
    50% 30% 20%

"PHASE 2 ENERGY BOOSTER "
    Maintain Phase 1 changes with additional energy for midstream performance
    40% 40% 20%

"PHASE 3 ENDURANCE MAXIMIZER "
    Support peak physical performance and satisfaction over the long term
    20% 60% 20%

To figure up my goals I used this website: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm
    I put in my calorie goal and figured up how many grams of each I want to hit.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents for your information :)

http://members.rachelcosgrove.com/public/The_Final_Nail_in_the_Cardio_Coffin.cfm

Edit: Cardio does NOT lead to fat loss...
  • marcyjane83
    marcyjane83 Posts: 20
    Options
    Look up the threads on the 17 day diet. =) Good Luck!
  • marekn
    marekn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job so far!

I think p90x or some cardio + strength training regimen will help you get past any plateau you may be stuck on. Ultimately, it is calories burned vs our calorie intake which decides (over time) whether we will lose/gain weight. I think p90x has helped me personally in two ways:
    1. The cardio part burns calories and fat after about 20 minutes of sustained effort
    2. I did put on muscle from the strength training parts and this helps me burn more calories just to maintain the cells

Another practice that has helped me is reducing my sugar/HFCS intake. I have tried to do more than just watching calories, but trying make the calories I take in better ones. For example, I have been attempting to take in less simple sugars and eat more brown rice & vegetables, which has reduced cravings providing me with a more stable energy level throughout the day.
  • kellyohagan
    Options
    Wow! That's an amazing accomplishment for all the weight you already lost. I've used P90x before and it's really challenging. It will help you build muscle - which makes you burn more calories throughout the day even when you are just sitting. Sometimes when I work out a lot though I over estimate the calories I burn and end up gaining weight from over compensating the food I eat. However, if you track both your exercise and your diet you should be able to work that all out, plus you'll be tone and have more energy. Good luck!

As far as eating goes (with losing the last 10 pounds) I think you might have to be patient because if you cut out too much you won't be able to stick with it. If you are eating/drinking too much salt including Diet Coke that might be causing water retention too. I've known people to lose 5 pounds just by cutting out soft drinks. (which is easier said than done - I think)
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    Wow! That's an amazing accomplishment for all the weight you already lost. I've used P90x before and it's really challenging. It will help you build muscle - which makes you burn more calories throughout the day even when you are just sitting. Sometimes when I work out a lot though I over estimate the calories I burn and end up gaining weight from over compensating the food I eat. However, if you track both your exercise and your diet you should be able to work that all out, plus you'll be tone and have more energy. Good luck!

As far as eating goes (with losing the last 10 pounds) I think you might have to be patient because if you cut out too much you won't be able to stick with it. If you are eating/drinking too much salt including Diet Coke that might be causing water retention too. I've known people to lose 5 pounds just by cutting out soft drinks. (which is easier said than done - I think)

I do use a HRM and continue to change my settings as my weight changes. So, I think my calories burned are fairly accurate. I am loving P90x thus far...especially the plyo and kenpo, the weight days are getting better...and YOGA is something to be reckoned with, LOL! I don't drink any soft drinks...only water and almond milk. I think your right, it's probably just gonna take time, and maybe a little tinkering with the diet.
  • MightyMom4
    MightyMom4 Posts: 180
    Options
    I'm starting P90x today too. Have you thought about following their nutrition proportions? Not sure how much of a difference it'll actually make, but I'm trying.

PHASE
    GOAL
    PROTEIN CARBS FAT

"PHASE 1 FAT SHREDDER "
    Strengthen muscle and shed excess body fat
    50% 30% 20%

"PHASE 2 ENERGY BOOSTER "
    Maintain Phase 1 changes with additional energy for midstream performance
    40% 40% 20%

"PHASE 3 ENDURANCE MAXIMIZER "
    Support peak physical performance and satisfaction over the long term
    20% 60% 20%

To figure up my goals I used this website: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/nutrient_calculator.htm
    I put in my calorie goal and figured up how many grams of each I want to hit.

I am looking into that. I've been looking over the book and it seems kind of complicated at first sight...I'll have to read completely through it. Let me know how it works for you :)