new here! need some food help!

Options
Need help !!! can anybody tell me what are some healthy foods i can use to replace my poor diet??? done with all the fast food and unhealthy stuff. Time to start new!

anybody have any advice on what i can snack on at work? home? I'm going grocery shopping tonight any ideas?

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    It depends, what you like to eat, but I feel a good snack is an apple and maybe some string cheese.
    A piece of bread with some peanut butter. (don't pile on the peanut butter)
    Meal replacement bars.
    Half a turkey sandwich (i said half cause this is supposedly a snack)

But what I do, I just drink a protien shake throughout the day.
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    look at my diary my help u some
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    fruit
    veggies
    almonds (limit portions though)
    low fat yoghurt
    protein drinks
    water (no cals in this)
    :smile:
  • rlmiller73190
    rlmiller73190 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    almonds, any kind of nuts (follow the serving size)
    fruit
    i eat goldfish..or reduced fat cheez-its
    peppers with hummus
  • jerseygirl08
    jerseygirl08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    healthy mexican inspired lettuce tacos :)

turkey meat sauteed with minced garlic, cilantro, cayenne, chili powder and lime juice (after meat is browned put in a serving dish)

saute bananas (cut into bite sized pieces) with black beans, cayenne with salt and pepper for taste

put some of the turkey meat into a large lettuce leaf and top with the black bean banana mixture; top with a pinch of cheese and some more cilantro. You can also add a few crumbled tortilla chips/strips for crunch/texture. Super yummy, low cal/low carb and high protein.
  • AceH826
    AceH826 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    First I think it all depends on what you like... You can always get those snack baggies or re-useable containers to put serving size anything to take to work. Nuts for protein, veggies, fruits, are all portable, it 's just taking the prep time at least once a week so they're easy and ready to go.

Also finding healthier version of what you like and/or altering your favorite foods. Some people like turkey burgers over hamburgers; I almost always put extra veggies into anything with sauces (though I'm cutting down on anything with sauces). Also, if you don't buy the bad stuff it won't be there for you; same for the good stuff. It needs to be in the house in order for you to decide to have that over the unhealthy foods.

Good luck, and feel free to add me to your friend's list.
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Do you cook at all, or are you looking for prepackaged goodness?

If you cook, I would look at what you are used to eating and try to make healthier versions wherever if possible. Example: if you LOVE Taco Bell burritos, maybe try grilled chicken and brown rice with bell peppers and Mexican sauce for dinner. If you love burgers, well, I haven't found a healthy alternative for that. Let me know if you do :)

If you don't, start out with the Lean Cuisine or Weight Watcher freezer meals. Warning - if you are used to eating lots of junk food, these are NOT going to fill you up! Plan on making an extra side of veggies or a salad to go with them.

For snacks at work, try working in as many fruits and veggies as possible. Apples, bananas, and carrots all make good snacks. I also like the 100-cal packs of pretzels, but I'm kind of a sucker for carbs.
  • devilstheory11
    Options
    wow thanks ! this all helps a lot Im sitting here at work now wishing i had something to snack on haha will be heading out tonight to get food for this week thanks everybody i only expected one or two responses but this is awesome im already liking MFP a lot. Great support from the members i have a good feeling about all of this
  • Ridestolive6969
    Options
    you are welcome to take a look at my diary!
  • CriticalX
    Options
    alot of things ppl saying is loaded in sodium. gotta stay away it
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    alot of things ppl saying is loaded in sodium. gotta stay away it

Why is there so much bad rep on sodium?
  • CriticalX
    Options