Children w/Special Needs

Options
If you are a parent with a child who has special needs, feel free to add me for support! I have a young child with severe adhd/sensory integration disorder along with pdd-nos and is on the savant side (very HIGH functioning). Anyway... would love to know if there are any other Mom's/Dad's out there who also have children in the same boat.

Replies

• LaraBoBara
    LaraBoBara Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't have a kid with special needs but I work with kids with special needs doing applied behavior analysis. So props to you mom! I am sure it's tough sometimes.
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Both of my children have been diagnosed with mild autism. They're ages 10 and 7 and both are doing quite well.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Hi, my youngest son has been tested for adhd although the results were a little confusing!! They said he doesn't have ADHD but acts out alot of the characteristics....he's very lovable but bloody hard work, always attention seeking, can't sit still, loves to get a reaction out of people. Feel free to add me as a friend....i can't always give advice but can definitely offer support! :flowerforyou:
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a son who is 5and is thought to be PDD-NOS. I'm sure we could totally relate!
  • cclair1974
    cclair1974 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have a daughter who is seven with hydrocephalus, epilepsy and an agenesis corpus callosum. She has a few other issues due to how her brain started to break apart in utero. I have a daughter who lost her vision two years ago to LHON. I also have a child with ADHD. One with CAPD. A son with Tourettes. Good God...our gene pool is not sounding so hot is it??? Some people do not appreciate the way we handle our family because we tend to joke ALOT. not always in the most appropriate fashion...but it is how we cope. Feel free to add me too!
  • Shutterpillar
    Shutterpillar Posts: 208
    Options
    I have two children. my first child, my daughter, was born with VACTERL Syndrome at 33 weeks, weighing 3 lbs 6 oz. She required a trach and ventilator for the first 3 years of her life and is still using oxygen at night while she sleeps. She is also g-tube fed, and is undergoing intense feeding therapy to teach her how to eat.

That is a very very brief description of her medical complications. To make it even more brief, we are extremely lucky she is alive, and have lost her countless times. But, she always came back...shes a fighter! we are thankful she will be celebrating her 6th birthday next month. :)
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We TOO joke as a way of keeping spirits high. And I thought that I had MY hands full. WOWSA! Do you sleep? Snarky joke, as I know you must not being that I hardly sleep with my child. Best of luck to all of you!!!
    I have a daughter who is seven with hydrocephalus, epilepsy and an agenesis corpus callosum. She has a few other issues due to how her brain started to break apart in utero. I have a daughter who lost her vision two years ago to LHON. I also have a child with ADHD. One with CAPD. A son with Tourettes. Good God...our gene pool is not sounding so hot is it??? Some people do not appreciate the way we handle our family because we tend to joke ALOT. not always in the most appropriate fashion...but it is how we cope. Feel free to add me too!
  • DKev
    DKev Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you on the joking about things to cope. I find myself telling people all of the time, if I didn't laugh I would cry =) You do what you gotta do to make it through each day.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have a daughter with severe Cerebral Palsy. Chronologically, she's 13 years old. Developmentally, she's about 5 - 6 months. A plethora of issues - seizure disorder, surgically placed feeding tubes, high blood pressure, sleep issues, etc. She doesn't have the motor control to sit on her own, but she has been progressing quite a bit over the last year or so. People look at her equipment and supplies and are usually overwhelmed, but what overwhelms my family most is LACK OF SLEEP!!

You guys are right - jokes and laughter help. Do people ever look at you like you're sick when you crack a joke? My mother in law actually had someone give her a lecture when she called my daughter "a little pill".