Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
DrBorkBork
DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
I've heard good things about Apple Cider Vinegar. I just mixed a tbsp of the brags unfiltered stuff into 34 oz of ice water. Did I do it right? Should I build up to a higher dose? What are advantages and disadvantages? Remember to play nice with eachother when you answer ;)

Replies

• superjae5
    superjae5 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What are you using it for? General health? I've only ever used it to prevent/shorten colds, but it typically only works at the first sign of symptoms (I've read it blocks whatever causes you to get all congested). I think you should post what you're hoping to get out of it for a good answer.
  • cgrace1969
    cgrace1969 Posts: 3
    Options
    My trainer that owns the gym I workout suggested Braggs to me. I take 2 tsp in about 8oz of water 3x a day. Once about 6-7am, then around 9 then around 12. He said it would help to detox my body and kind of clean me out. Not to be gross, but I think the best benefit Im getting is that its keeping me regular! =) Ive been taking it for about 2 months now! Good Luck!
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You did it right... I like to peruse earthclinic.com for help with all my holistics, and they recommend putting it in a large quantity of water and slowly sipping it throughout the way. I usually hate it in large amounts because I don't like the taste of it too much, so I put it in about 8 oz. of water and chug it down as fast as I can. But it really makes me feel amazing... and I suggest it to everyone who asks. It helps with beautiful complexion, digestion, weight loss, immunity building... some people even swear by it to help with fertility. :bigsmile:
  • ddwin
    ddwin Posts: 78
    Options
    Sorry... the first thought that comes to mind is Drain Cleaner... lol
  • deanna1001
    deanna1001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It acts as a diuretic, thus can make the scale show weight loss. Can't hurt! I remember using it to alleviate bloat associated with periods. Hope this helps.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My grandma swears by apple cider vinegar for her arthritis...not really sure why but she has about 1/4 cup in the morning w/ lemon & honey....
  • playful82
    playful82 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    ACV is good for alot of things, but very hard to swallow.. lol also when drinking it use a straw.. it messes up the enamel of your teeth...

Apple Cider Vinegar and Weight Loss… How Much to Take?

Most apple cider vinegar weight loss home remedies, like the one investigated in Vermont by Dr D. C. Jarvis, M.D., call for the taking of one or two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water before each meal.
    Patricia Bragg recommends adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of raw honey to this mixture.

Whichever way you take it, don't expect a rapid weight loss, the weight will be lost gradually, as it should be to allow the body's fat cells to adjust to their new size.
  • Laceirenee
    Laceirenee Posts: 1
    Options
    They have apple cider vingear pills. I got some.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My trainer that owns the gym I workout suggested Braggs to me. I take 2 tsp in about 8oz of water 3x a day. Once about 6-7am, then around 9 then around 12. He said it would help to detox my body and kind of clean me out. Not to be gross, but I think the best benefit Im getting is that its keeping me regular! =) Ive been taking it for about 2 months now! Good Luck!

OMG - Lightbulb moment!! :laugh:
    I did this a few years ago when I lost some weight by counting calories and I couldn't figure out why this time I was still having problems despite having a great fiber intake. I think it's time I get back to that and see if it will "move me" in the right direction. Bad pun, I know....:blushing:
  • jcb2kds
    jcb2kds Posts: 40
    Options
    bump
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Fuchi fuchi fuchi that stuff is nasty!!
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    It acts as a diuretic, thus can make the scale show weight loss. Can't hurt! I remember using it to alleviate bloat associated with periods. Hope this helps.
    Fabulous tip! I think I remember it changed my cycle some too when I used it before. I think the vinegar is a mild blood thinner as well, so if anyone is taking Cumadin or other thinning agents, check with your doctors first.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I messed up a good carne asada rubbing it with that stuff once!! yuck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your answers! Top purpose is overall good health, and a natural cleanse wouldn't hurt either. Can't really taste it in my mug, but I can SMELL it. I've always been sensitive to the smell of vinegar, but I can't taste it in my water right now.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    Don't know if this is similar, but I drink a glass of warm lemon water in the morning. And it tastes good!
  • iamhealingmyself
    Options
    I've heard it has similar affects regarding the digestive issues but it's not fermented so you will not get the same overall health benefits of the vinegar.
  • sceck
    sceck Posts: 219
    Options
    I've heard it has similar affects regarding the digestive issues but it's not fermented so you will not get the same overall health benefits of the vinegar.

Good thought, I'll add a little vinegar to my lemon water, thanks!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm the odd duck that likes the taste. I sometimes add it to my water to change the flavor. Just a teaspoon in a 16ox water bottle.
    I also use it instead of balsamic vinegar in my salads. It good for digestion.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I'm the odd duck that likes the taste. I sometimes add it to my water to change the flavor. Just a teaspoon in a 16ox water bottle.
    I also use it instead of balsamic vinegar in my salads. It good for digestion.

I love Braggs, especially soaking cucumbers in it....................it cures heartburn good too.
  • alrd69
    alrd69 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try to use organic apple cider vinegar with "mother"