Hi! New here with a workout question.

tusher2011
tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! I just started working out (again) last week. I joined a gym, just got an iphone and found this app on there so I have been keeping track of calories, excersice, etc.

So far, I have been doing all cardio everyday...about 30-40 min. I did the weights one day. My question is, do I split up the weight routine. Meaning, should I do upper body one day and then lower body the next day? Or can I do both in one day but then just do it every other day?

I know you're supposed to let your muscles recover for a day before you work them again. But I just wanted to know if it would be more beneficial to split up upper and lower.

Thanks!!:smile:

Replies

• kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    My trainer recommended switching upper and lower and not do it all at once. When I see her, she has me work one OR the other.

It seems to work out the muscles better and like I get more bang for buck than if I do upper and lower together.
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Hi! I just started working out (again) last week. I joined a gym, just got an iphone and found this app on there so I have been keeping track of calories, excersice, etc.

So far, I have been doing all cardio everyday...about 30-40 min. I did the weights one day. My question is, do I split up the weight routine. Meaning, should I do upper body one day and then lower body the next day? Or can I do both in one day but then just do it every other day?

I know you're supposed to let your muscles recover for a day before you work them again. But I just wanted to know if it would be more beneficial to split up upper and lower.

Thanks!!:smile:

If you're just starting again, I recommend you focus on whole body workouts. Do this workout 3X per week, every other day. So for example:

Chest - Dumbbell bench press
    Back - Assisted pullups
    Legs - Squats
    Shoulders - Barbell shoulder press
    Triceps - Dips

You want to focus on large compound exercises such as these to work your entire body. Too many beginners focus on their biceps and don't build the smaller support muscles that provide their foundation.

But obviously, adjust the workouts to your comfort level.
  • airdon2
    airdon2 Posts: 3
    You can work your entire body with weights as long as you rest a day before hitting the weights again. The benefit to splitting up the workout would be if you wanted to add the strength training on a cardio day, it would take less time to do just upper or just lower. Or, if you planned to hit the weights every day splitting would give your muscles the time they need to recuperate :drinker:
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    Thanks everyone. I plan on doing cardio at least 6 times a week. So I think I'll break up the upper and lower body and see how it goes.

dxing, I'll definately focus on those excersises you posted!
This discussion has been closed.