I need a man's opinion....

2»

Replies

• kdjemr
    kdjemr Posts: 7
    how much does he cycle ???? I do about an hour and half a day on avg. and ride btwn 26-31 km/h depending on what day. Saturdays I ride 121 km (around 65 miles) My max is around 1900 calories but depending on how much I cycle it gives you credit .... I choose not to use it all .... I have just started though, so may give better insight in a few weeks
  • kdjemr
    kdjemr Posts: 7
    sorry I mean 75 mile not 65 mile
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    I agree with those who say he should probably reduce his profile activity level to lightly active. I know that you know that the human body is marvelously efficient and quickly learns to conserve calories while doing regular daily activities. I am sedentary (desk job,) 5'10" and 180 lbs and my daily net calorie goal is 1530 to lose one pound a week. If I started his job today no doubt moderately active would be accurate for me - for a while. But in time my body would adapt and learn to use fewer calories doing the same work so I would need to adjust accordingly. So while moderately active may seem right I'm thinking that it is too high.
    Additionally, I do not eat all of my exercise calories back on big burn days. If my only exercise is a walk, a short run, or maybe 30 minutes of strength training or such I will eat my exercise calories, or most of them. I tend to bump my eating up more for strength training than for aerobic exercise. When I aerobically burn 1,000 calories or more I only increase my calorie eating by 30 to 50 percent or so of what I burn. That is contrary to the standard MFP advice and I am no expert, but I do what works for me. Good luck!
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Maybe he isnt putting his cycling in right. Is he going on whatever MFP says for x amount of cycling?

I dont log all my workouts anymore as i dont see why I should to be honest, unless im getting really close to my goal weight, or i become and athlete!

Im on 1800 cals a day and am normally about 300 or so under that without logging workouts and ive been losing about 2 pounds a week!

Hope this Helps!

A man.
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    sorry I mean 75 mile not 65 mile

Glad you said that! Was just about to call you a lazy light weight rider!
  • Somnifac
    Somnifac Posts: 30 Member
    I'm a guy, as far as I can tell, and have a desk job, so during the day I'm sedentary. Outside of work I cycle 5-6 days a week, with 25-30 mile rides during the weekday rides, 60+ on Saturdays and 40+ on Sundays. Mix in a 100+ mile ride one Saturday a month.

I started @ 210 lbs, and I'm down to under 190 so far, with a 1500 calorie allotment. 60+ mile days I exceed my allotment, obviously, but only enough to keep from bonking on the bike. Been working like a champ so far.
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Oh my gosh!

We checked his profile settings. He set his goal to GAIN 1 pound per week! Gah!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Whats all this about 'double exercise calories'? I saw posted on page 1. If we claim an active lifestyle then add in the activity we/he could be eating twice the calories?

Does this mean we shouldnt be adding in our activity if we claim to have an active lifestyle? Now I'm really confused.
  • Laika3
    Laika3 Posts: 37 Member
    Oh my gosh!

We checked his profile settings. He set his goal to GAIN 1 pound per week! Gah!

:laugh: sorry for laughing but that's too funny! Hope he sees a loss now that it's corrected :smile:
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    I'm around 190, and my lifestyle is set to sedentary. Maintenance calories for me are 2200, so it shouldn't be much more for "lightly active". Even at current weight, 2 hrs of moderate biking is only about 1500 cals. So, I can't see him needing more than 4000 a day, if in maintenance mode.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    I weigh around 220. I have my weight loss goal set at 2 lbs per week. I work at my desk all day so I have it set as Sedentary. My workout goal is 30 mins 4 days a week. MFP says that I should eat 1420 calories a day. Any excercise I do is added back in to that so I can eat more if I workout more. I'm only on day 2 but I find this site very useful and I love my android version of it with the barcode scanner.
This discussion has been closed.